Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Burnley (A) pre match

We missing ndidi, it feels like how when we lost kante.  The critical part of the engine missing.

So for this game I would replace chilwell with either fuchs or justin.  Preferably fuchs.

Start praet over tielemans again.

justin RB and Ricardo RW

Keep nacho on bench as I honestly think he is best currently as an impact sub.

However with that said I feel Brendan needs to act earlier in games so if at 30 min point its not working, then shape needs changing and maybe bring players like nacho on then.

LW is an issue, and since I think chilwell seems to work best with barnes, I would maybe start gray there, and if in game Brendan wants to bring his favourite baby chilwell on, he should also bring on barnes at same time.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm just glad we've a got a week and a days rest between the game now.

Normally when we lose, play badly as we did yesterday i'm fuming and want the next game to come asap, whilst i'm not happy after yesterday i'm not particularly bothered - not sure why, think it might be because yesterdays performance is no surprise, i've come to expect it since we've been like it since November, the frustration has come and gone.

So, we now have a week and a day between games, time to reflect, give us a kick up the backside, work out what's going wrong and how to put it right, and put the bullshit excuses of tiredness to bed (They may well be tired but the schedule is more of less the same for everyone else - Ok we've had 2 extra games with the Carabao Cup).

Just a shame Burnley will more than likely park the bus and we all know we struggle to break those games down.

• Like 2

I see this and the West Ham game after as key games for our season. We need to take 6 points. As after, we have the fa cup and carabao cup games before playing wolves, Chelsea and Man City - a tough run where if we are not on our game our 11 point lead could look precarious. 

Win and win it well please. Let’s get back to basics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm just glad we've a got a week and a days rest between the game now.

Normally when we lose, play badly as we did yesterday i'm fuming and want the next game to come asap, whilst i'm not happy after yesterday i'm not particularly bothered - not sure why, think it might be because yesterdays performance is no surprise, i've come to expect it since we've been like it since November, the frustration has come and gone.

So, we now have a week and a day between games, time to reflect, give us a kick up the backside, work out what's going wrong and how to put it right, and put the bullshit excuses of tiredness to bed (They may well be tired but the schedule is more of less the same for everyone else - Ok we've had 2 extra games with the Carabao Cup).

Just a shame Burnley will more than likely park the bus and we all know we struggle to break those games down.

I think tiredness was a big factor yesterday. We had played 60 hours previously, Saints had a week off. I think that’s significant. There was a collective lack of energy

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Schmeichel,

Ricardo, Soyuncu, Evans, Fuchs,

Choudhury,

Praet, Tielemans.

Maddison,

Vardy, Iheancho.

Keep Chilwell in and maybe Mendy instead of Choudhury, but I like the formation.  Praet has to play (he was our best MF by far against Soton) and the wingers just aren't cutting it.  I'd play this formation with either Ihenacho or Perez as a second striker.

With a week's rest and an away game, I suspect we'll be fine here.  I expect a win.

Edited by Deeg67

Over the last few games we seem to have been bullied in most areas of the pitch including Evans and Cags which is surprising given how solid we were earlier in the season.  As was mentioned on another thread other teams seem to have picked up on tactical fouling as a way to slow down our attacks with Maddison being a clear victim.  It seems to be we need to become a bit more cynical, being bottom of the table for yellow cards is not necessarily a good thing if accepting a few can stop breakaway goals such as Southampton’s second yesterday.

My concern about Sunday is that Burnley are likely to adopt a ‘robust’ approach, in theory our creative players should be good enough to pass through/around this but it didn’t seem to work in the first half against Villa or at all yesterday.

Hopefully a full week off will give Brendan and the coaching team time to plan a strategy and practise the drills to put it into action.

• Like 4

Another game that we should win if we want a CL spot.

BR needs to undestand that his formation doesn't work without the right players (being in-form). At the moment we don't have the players for 4-3-3 and we need another good CB for 3-5-2.

I suggest that we go to the old-fashioned 4-4-2 and play our best in-form players.

Kasper

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Evans

Chilwell (Justin if Chillerz is not ready)

Mendy

Hamza

Tielemans/Praet

Maddison

Iheanacho

Vardy

5-0 victory and FT becomes a peaceful love-in haven.

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, FIF said:

BR needs to undestand that his formation doesn't work without the right players (being in-form). At the moment we don't have the players for 4-3-3 and we need another good CB for 3-5-2.

I suggest that we go to the old-fashioned 4-4-2 and play our best in-form players.

Kasper

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Evans

Mendy

Hamza

Tielemans/Praet

Maddison

Iheanacho

Vardy

He most certainly is not ready, perhaps in March.

8 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

Over the last few games we seem to have been bullied in most areas of the pitch including Evans and Cags which is surprising given how solid we were earlier in the season.  As was mentioned on another thread other teams seem to have picked up on tactical fouling as a way to slow down our attacks with Maddison being a clear victim.  It seems to be we need to become a bit more cynical, being bottom of the table for yellow cards is not necessarily a good thing if accepting a few can stop breakaway goals such as Southampton’s second yesterday.

My concern about Sunday is that Burnley are likely to adopt a ‘robust’ approach, in theory our creative players should be good enough to pass through/around this but it didn’t seem to work in the first half against Villa or at all yesterday.

Hopefully a full week off will give Brendan and the coaching team time to plan a strategy and practise the drills to put it into action.

Agree with all of this. Against Villa and Southampton we've been bullied. I'm concerned the same will happen at Burnley and I'm not sure we have the players to combat it. Yes they've been poor lately but so have we.

Any win in any way would be good but I think they will turn us over in a really grim advert for football.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FIF said:

Kasper

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Evans

Mendy

Hamza

Tielemans/Praet

Maddison

Iheanacho

Vardy

You contradicted yourself, suggesting on form players and then picked Chilwell.

Guest An Sionnach
43 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

C5B7B366-66D3-4846-AAC4-6E0FBC1127C8.jpeg

Poor old Jimmy going to Man (whatever) one minute , dropped the next. The England curse strikes again.

On 11/01/2020 at 18:50, StriderHiryu said:

We might go 352 and have Justin or even Barnes as one of the Wing Backs. Harvey has done it before during the middle of some games.

I just don't think you can play Chilwell after today's horror show. We could of course just play 4141 and do a straight swap, which I also wouldn't be against.

I don't know.  Do we drop him and risk denting his confidence further or does Brendan use those much vaunted man-management skills and spend some time with him this week.  Get him revved up and feeling eight feet tall and let him play his way out of the doldrums?  It's not like he's become a bad player.  We know what he can do, we need to get him back to that level.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't know.  Do we drop him and risk denting his confidence further or does Brendan use those much-vaunted man-management skills and spend some time with him this week.  Get him revved up and feeling eight feet all and let him play his way out of the doldrums?  It's not like he's become a bad player.  We know what he can do, we need to get him back to that level.

Rodgers dropped Tielemans yesterday, and has also dropped Perez, Barnes, etc from the team. Chilwell can always come back, I just think a rest and a bit of a time out is needed. And that's fine because he's a young player and young players rarely are able to play at their best level every single week. That's where we want him to get to, but it will take time.

I look at Ihenacho as a good example of where dropping can work. He wasn't even featuring in match day squads earlier in the season, but now looks great every time he comes on and often makes a difference. The time off made him hungrier and sharper!

• Like 1

The cliche that you're only as good as your last game is embedded in the DNA of FT.  Yes we had a very bad day, but still put the ball in the net four times.  We're still 2nd (for now), but all of a sudden we're scared of Burnley?

I'm glad it's an away game.  Quality will out, three points incoming, mojo restored!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers dropped Tielemans yesterday, and has also dropped Perez, Barnes, etc from the team. Chilwell can always come back, I just think a rest and a bit of a time out is needed. And that's fine because he's a young player and young players rarely are able to play at their best level every single week. That's where we want him to get to, but it will take time.

I look at Ihenacho as a good example of where dropping can work. He wasn't even featuring in match day squads earlier in the season, but now looks great every time he comes on and often makes a difference. The time off made him hungrier and sharper!

Yeah, I get that and I'm not saying you're wrong, but the difference with those players is that whilst they might have been ineffective, they didn't have a high profile stinker like Chilwell did yesterday.  That's why I'm suggesting we don't compound the issue by dropping him, let's see if we can get a reaction out of him?

For Rodgers to decide anyway, I'm happy to back his judgement.

• Like 2