Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Burnley (A) pre match

12 hours ago, Realjimbo said:

I struggle with elite class athletes being "tired", last week I worked 6 days, 80 hours, played league squash twice, walked the dog 7 times and surprised the missus once, I'm over 50, un-elite and yes I'm a bit tired but do me a favour, how is a player in his early 20's feckin tired playing football even twice a week!!!

Chilwell isn't tired he's not playing well is all, he needs bench time to remind him that he is not yet the £50 million man the press tell him he is.

Nothing like competition to focus the mind.

Whilst I agree somewhat, you have to imagine 30,000 people spectating you (plus countless more on TV) whilst you miss picking up that 1 nugget of s**t that your dog dropped because you weren't at 100% with that moment being discussed for the next week and suggesting maybe it's time your wife walked the dog.

Or even worse, your missus getting the neighbour in because your surprise wasn't all that surprising lol

The games are an exam situation and whilst I have zero sympathy for a footballer, I can understand the small differences between their profession and ours. (and yes I also understand that all worker have some level of performance pressure in their job, but it isn't condensed into 90 minutes in front of expectant followers) 

"Tired" is a mental fatigue more than physical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest An Sionnach
3 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

be fuming if we set up defensively for this. we are on a completely different level to these, just put out our best team and beat them. 

they've lost 4 of their last 5 at home, including being comfortably beaten by palace and aston villa. they've had 5 shots on target in their last 5 games. they are disgustingly bad. 

Three months ago a no- brainer , they are indeed very poor at the moment. But what is our best team?

Yep I'm a boomer alright but not a Thracian 😅 or was that a request for more posts In Thracian? But here's the news- being a boomer doesn't negate my right to an opinion just as being Generation X or a Millennial doesn't.

Give a counter argument, I'd respect that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Xen said:

They may only be playing 1-2 competitive matches a week, but that week also includes:

• Physical Training 3-4 times per week
  • Mental/tactical coaching, including research on opposition teams/players
  • Travelling to/from games, including hotel stays for long away journeys. Some players will also have to travel long(er) distance for training, as well.
  • Media/Community outreach duties
  • For national-team players they will have additional commitments related to that which take up a lot of time/energy

Plus outside of work they'll have plenty of other commitments:

• Language courses or other university degrees (like Soyuncu and Ndidi are doing, respectively)
  • Keeping on top of nutrition (which requires a lot more effort than it does for you and I)
  • Many players have young families which take up a lot of their time and energy
  • They may also be 'walking the dog' or 'surprising the missus' - that's not something that disappears for them.
  • Their own social lives, which they're entitled to.

Of course, there's also huge amounts of mental fatigue and stresses that these players go through which are a world apart from those of us on this forum, so that will impact them in different ways as well.

And on a slightly separate note to all of that: as laymen we have very different definitions of what constitutes for 'tired'. This is an industry which is all about maximising every last bit of performance and really working the percentages, so whilst I might only consider myself to be tired when my energy dips below a hypothetical 70%, for instance, the sports science guys at LCFC may well have data that shows that anything less than 95% is "tired" and will cause significant drops in performance.

All it takes is one relatively minor (or indeed major) trigger point in their personal lives and the very finely balanced system which governs them during their career can fall out of sync and leave them under-rested for high-level performance sport.

Some great, well set out and argued points there, really good post Xen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good thing managers don’t make player rotation decisions, based on the only measure some supporters use: envy of their salaries.

Look, a few people are going to hit the genetic lottery … PL players did, and worked hard to make the most of it.  They have to live a 24/7 lifestyle in terms of diet, drinking and public behavior that few of us would have countenanced in our 20s.

More importantly, they aren’t robots, and even conditioned to the maximum of modern sports science, are subject to the limits of the human body.

But yeah, they’re rich, so if you play them three times in a week and they then miss a dozen matches for muscle injuries, it’s their fault … rather than just a stupidly short-sighted thing to have done,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Realjimbo said:

I struggle with elite class athletes being "tired", last week I worked 6 days, 80 hours, played league squash twice, walked the dog 7 times and surprised the missus once, I'm over 50, un-elite and yes I'm a bit tired but do me a favour, how is a player in his early 20's feckin tired playing football even twice a week!!!

Chilwell isn't tired he's not playing well is all, he needs bench time to remind him that he is not yet the £50 million man the press tell him he is.

This is shocking. While I appreciate people have serious workloads to cope with, the toll on your body a 90 minute game takes on your body is immense. Especially at the highest level of competition. Then there's also the mental side, the pressure, the high level of training etc, it's very easy to say I do this I do that why can't they play every day. 

Doesn't look like either Chilwell or Choudhury trained with the squad this morning from the video they've put on the website. Every other outfield player apart from them two plus Amartey and Ndidi (known injuries) were there from what I could make out.

I'd have had a serious look at bringing in Fuchs and Mendy anyway, but interested to know if they're injured when Brendan does his presser tomorrow.

4 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

Whilst I agree somewhat, you have to imagine 30,000 people spectating you (plus countless more on TV) whilst you miss picking up that 1 nugget of s**t that your dog dropped because you weren't at 100% with that moment being discussed for the next week and suggesting maybe it's time your wife walked the dog.

Or even worse, your missus getting the neighbour in because your surprise wasn't all that surprising lol

The games are an exam situation and whilst I have zero sympathy for a footballer, I can understand the small differences between their profession and ours. (and yes I also understand that all worker have some level of performance pressure in their job, but it isn't condensed into 90 minutes in front of expectant followers) 

"Tired" is a mental fatigue more than physical. 

Performance anxiety?

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Three months ago a no- brainer , they are indeed very poor at the moment. But what is our best team?

something that involves less than 2 defensive mids, less than 5 defenders and not having maddison on the wing 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Realjimbo said:

Try surprising the Missus with 30,000 thousand people watching & critiquing your every move not  too mention action replays of your shots on goal !

• Haha 2

Guest An Sionnach
3 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

something that involves less than 2 defensive mids, less than 5 defenders and not having maddison on the wing 

That is a 60%+ possession set up so we are going to have to be a lot more clinical than against Villa and Southampton. Stay onside and don't miss!!

19 hours ago, Realjimbo said:

Couldn't agree more. Being tired or just in a rut.....with the professional resources, nutritionists, psychologists, fitness coach's, physical therapists made available to the players...probably a rut.....If he is physically tired, then rest the man and change something above. Players get themselves in a rut and a little time away is often the quick and easy solution.

4 hours ago, Xen said:

They may only be playing 1-2 competitive matches a week, but that week also includes:

• Physical Training 3-4 times per week
  • Mental/tactical coaching, including research on opposition teams/players
  • Travelling to/from games, including hotel stays for long away journeys. Some players will also have to travel long(er) distance for training, as well.
  • Media/Community outreach duties
  • For national-team players they will have additional commitments related to that which take up a lot of time/energy

Plus outside of work they'll have plenty of other commitments:

• Language courses or other university degrees (like Soyuncu and Ndidi are doing, respectively)
  • Keeping on top of nutrition (which requires a lot more effort than it does for you and I)
  • Many players have young families which take up a lot of their time and energy
  • They may also be 'walking the dog' or 'surprising the missus' - that's not something that disappears for them.
  • Their own social lives, which they're entitled to.

Of course, there's also huge amounts of mental fatigue and stresses that these players go through which are a world apart from those of us on this forum, so that will impact them in different ways as well.

And on a slightly separate note to all of that: as laymen we have very different definitions of what constitutes for 'tired'. This is an industry which is all about maximising every last bit of performance and really working the percentages, so whilst I might only consider myself to be tired when my energy dips below a hypothetical 70%, for instance, the sports science guys at LCFC may well have data that shows that anything less than 95% is "tired" and will cause significant drops in performance.

All it takes is one relatively minor (or indeed major) trigger point in their personal lives and the very finely balanced system which governs them during their career can fall out of sync and leave them under-rested for high-level performance sport.

The first Part for some comparisons,I will Grant you....!!

But you might have an easy Couch-potato life,But respect that many others lead Full Active lives,Amateur Sports/ Community or Active ,Lads n lasses,actually happily have those same commitments.Every Single one!!!

The 2nd grouping, Now those commitments I use to have,and a!so my group of friends,ist Part of normal life...

Plus the worries,concerns and satisfaction in Major or minor achievements, which comes with it..!!

Good news, Lawrenson has backed us to loose this week - cue the obligatory 2-0 away win! I am hoping to see a much better performance with a bit of a break under their belt. We need to move the ball quickly and get back to those fast interchanges that we had become so good at. Burnley are in poor form, have lots of injuries, and I imagine confidence is a bit fragile currently. The first goal will be key 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
35 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

If Chilwell is fit, I'd play him. 

Fall off your bike, get straight back on it. 

I feel sorry for the bike.