Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Peston appears to being fed bullshit daily now. 

I do wonder if these sources are now even genuinely close to government, they've got sp much wrong recently it's ridiculous. 

It's a shame to see some of the "celeb" (if you like) journalists putting commercial and/or personal interests first here.

There's plenty of good, responsible journalism going on during this crisis. It's a shame that's not getting more of an airing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Gavin Williamson (Education Secretary) said an announcement about GCSEs & A-levels will be made tomorrow.

He seemed to be suggesting that exams wouldn't happen but that, if at all possible, grades would be assigned at the expected time in August - with an appeal system for anyone who felt hard done by.

He didn't say how the grades would be assigned. That will be announced tomorrow. Presumably based on predicted grades, maybe taking any continuous assessment into account?

Should be clearer tomorrow - though I suppose it'll then depend whether the situation allows this to be done by August - and then whether things have subsided enough for schools and unis to re-open in the autumn, and whether that's deemed a good idea with regard to the potential resurgence of the virus. :dunno:

Gavin Williamson has announced that under no circumstances exams will take place. Announcements will be made tomorrow, the college have spoke to us and said that essentially it will come down to variables like coursework, predicted grades and teacher assessments. An appeal system will be in place. I hope your daughter isn’t worried, as trust me on this, this will not be a big deal at GCSE level. Once you have go onto further education, nobody is really bothered what you got as long as long as you’ve got English and Maths and a decent spread off results which the system will probably enable for your daughter.

It is so hard to process though, I’ve realised how important some off the relationships are that you form at both GCSE and A - Level, and it appears that after tomorrow, they will vanish in some cases.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, MattP said:

The government has got to get a grip of communications here.

Ridiculous to have rumours of a lockdown on the capital just swirling around for 24 hours.

And why do they have to use terms like "lockdown". Makes it worse. My interpretation of a lockdown is that you can't do anywhere at all.

Guest MattP
7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

And why do they have to use terms like "lockdown". Makes it worse. My interpretation of a lockdown is that you can't do anywhere at all.

Yep!

Even The Times, probably the most respected paper in the country, had a headline of "Britain in Lockdown" yesterday. 

Which as anyone can see, it clearly isn't.

the govt have used their words carefully

did anyone suggest that transport links into the capital would be closed?   did anyone say that people would be locked in their houses?  

as far as i know, offices in central London (and i assume this extends across London) will be closed from tomorrow evening.  you wont be a prisoner in your home and if you want to drive into London to see someone (observing the 2m social distancing) then it seems that will be allowed for the time being. 

i'm more interested to see if they enforce bars and clubs closures because that is what is nuts. people are saying that if it was so dangerous then they would close the pubs/bars.  this thing is spreading fast, especially amongst the younger generation who will pass it around. 

Not a big issue in the circumstances but Sky have just put their prices up from April for basic broadband, sky entertainment and a few other options.

Talk about kicking people when they're down?

• Haha 1

English football will be suspended until at least 30 April because of the continued spread of coronavirus.

All games in England's Premier League, EFL, Women's Super League and Women's Championship, and all fixtures in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, are currently postponed.

The Football Association has also agreed that the current season can be "extended indefinitely" beyond the original end date of 1 June.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Not a big issue in the circumstances but Sky have just put their prices up from April for basic broadband, sky entertainment and a few other options.

It’s them who’ll be the ones kicked on the ground. 
People will leave in their drones right now with football off for months. 
Serves the thieving scumbags right.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Fair play :thumbup:

If I had that kind of cash stashed away I’d be doing donuts round Tesco car park in my Golf GTI

Bought a house using help to buy so we have been saving it over the last 4 years. The level of pissed off I’ll be if we have to use that just to pay bills isn’t even worth thinking about lol.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Maybe contact the finance company and ask if they will defer payments, or at least not charge interest?

I've had all work cancelled, so zero income, for at least the next two months - so I feel your pain

Good idea.

4 minutes ago, shanetko said:

You can cancel sports subscription if you want.

4 minutes ago, shanetko said:

Seems you have 30days but I went through so much angst moving from Sky to Virgin and then back again and it cost me as they messed it up so much.  I don't think I've got the mental capacity to go through it again so soon.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

You can cancel sports subscription if you want.

Yes but you've got to contact them by phone and phone calls are not for me as my hearing is buggered but even if I could I wouldn't bother wasting my time even though I some queuing up for hours.

9 minutes ago, shanetko said:

Them drones must be a fair size if you can leave in them.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

Have they actually? We're cancelling sports today but this makes me want to cancel the whole lot.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Yes but you've got to contact them by phone and phone calls are not for me as my hearing is buggered but even if I could I wouldn't bother wasting my time even though I some queuing up for hours.

It does say on the email they sent that they are working on a way to "pause" your Sports subscription via the website and they hope to have this in place by Friday

Keeping you connected to what matters, when it matters most

Dear Alex,

In such challenging times, we wanted to let you know what we're doing at Sky to keep you connected to what matters, when it matters most.

Our first priority is ensuring our customers continue to get the very best service we can provide. We'd love more people to experience Sky, but for the time being, we're focusing our attention and resources on making sure we do our very best for our existing customers. Whether this is prioritising the calls coming into our call centres, improving our online service, or sending our engineers on visits to your home to keep your services up and running.

With us all likely to be spending more time at home in the coming months, we're also doing a few extra things to make your Sky TV experience even better.

We're making Sky Go Extra available to all our customers for free, so busy homes will have access to Sky TV on three screens at the same time.

We're launching three new channels this Spring – Sky History, Sky Nature and Sky Documentaries – providing high quality factual programmes that can help educate as well as entertain.

Because going out to the cinema may not be possible for a while, we're bringing the cinema to you, by making a range of movies available in your home through Sky Store, on the same day as the global premieres. This will begin with DreamWorks Animation's Trolls World Tour on 6 April. This Friday, we are also launching Emma, The Invisible Man and The Hunt, which were just released in cinemas.

We're bringing YouTube kids and Disney+ to Sky Q in the coming weeks, so you and your family have even more entertainment choices.

While we expect that many of the recently postponed sports events will eventually go ahead, if you wish to pause your sports subscription you will not be charged a fee to do so or be held to any notice period. Meanwhile, we continue to provide high quality content across all of our 11 sports channels.

We also appreciate that staying connected is crucial at a time like this, so we're making sure our Broadband, Talk and Mobile services are as reliable as they can possibly be:

The Broadband, Talk and Mobile networks have been designed to handle high traffic peaks at all times of the day and night and our network engineers are working hard to ensure they are tested, monitored and improved 24/7.

To make it easier for you to keep in touch with your loved ones without worrying about costs - especially if you are self-isolating or reducing social contact - calls to UK landlines at any time of day will be free for our existing Sky Talk customers from this weekend to the end of April.

With the prospect of many of us working from home, we want our existing Sky Mobile customers to be able to access the internet without worrying about running out of data. So, we'll soon be adding a 10GB data boost into the Piggybanks of all of our customers, free of charge. This can be shared across all the SIMs on your account.

Thanks for your continued loyalty to Sky. In these tough times, we want you to know that you can rely on us to keep you connected to whatever matters most to you, when it matters most.

Sky Sports

Whilst we expect that many of the recently postponed sports events will go ahead, if you wish to pause your Sky Sports subscription in the meantime you will not be charged a fee to do so or be held to any notice period. Meanwhile we continue to provide high quality content across all of our 11 Sky Sports channels.

We are sorry that you are currently unable to pause your Sky Sports subscription online, however, in light of the circumstances we are working hard to introduce this in the coming days. Please check back online from Friday. In the meantime, please be aware that we have reduced resource in our call centre and we apologise if you are unable to get through to us on the phone.

Edited by stripeyfox

3 minutes ago, bmt said:

Have they actually? We're cancelling sports today but this makes me want to cancel the whole lot.

I've just had a letter from them as well  dated 17th March.

Millions of Sky broadband and TV customers will see their bills rise from April – but if you're affected you may be able to leave penalty-free or haggle down your bill.

The vast majority of TV customers and some broadband customers will be affected by the hikes. The following packages will go up in price from Wednesday 1 April:

• Sky Broadband Essential (its basic broadband package) will rise by £2/month (it's currently £20/month for customers in contract and will move to £22/month).
  • Sky Entertainment (its base TV package that most will have) will rise by £2/mth (it's currently £22/mth for customers in contract, moving to £24/mth).
  • Sky TV Multiscreen will rise by £1/mth (it's currently £13/mth for customers in contract, moving to £14/mth).
  • Sky HDTV will rise by £1/mth (it's currently £5/mth for customers in contract, moving to £6/mth).

If you're out of contract, the price increase will be the same in terms of pounds, but the initial price it increases from may be higher.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/sky-to-hike-broadband-and-tv-prices-for-millions/

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

English football will be suspended until at least 30 April because of the continued spread of coronavirus.

All games in England's Premier League, EFL, Women's Super League and Women's Championship, and all fixtures in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, are currently postponed.

The Football Association has also agreed that the current season can be "extended indefinitely" beyond the original end date of 1 June.

To be fair I was informed before Coronavirus Really took off...!!!

That said,come May -july, People who only Prescribed to Sky because of the General Sports package..Will I am sure,start Cancelling their contracts....

Freeview,gets you alot of channels....mostly many have no Live sport....!!!  BBC ..MOTD, ITV..England games live. At present no cricket Nor Rugby...

some older patrons,might well Think before summer,why bother...!!!