Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

They know the restrictions they are going to put out well in advance of them telling us. 

They have forecasts for what the deaths will be, so they drip feed us with the bad news, so it’s easier for the masses to come to terms with it bit by bit. Also limits the panic.

So if we are to have a full lockdown like other countries, it’s already decided, as is the days they will announce it and the steps they will put in in between. 

I think they will look at the bog roll situation and think if we are irrationally stock piling that, giving us big steps to take in one go will cause absolute carnage. 

You wait until the warm weather, guarantee bbq coal and firefighters will be hoarded with only the grabbers being able to enjoy a bbq. 

This is it, we know what’s coming, we’ve seen it elsewhere we’ve been informed. I think we all knew the schools were going to shut this Friday, we could see it coming, and we all know we’re going to go into full lock down soon, maybe within the next couple of weeks. We know it’s going to happen so we’re more accepting when it does, we have a responsibility that we’ve been made aware of and from my experience the majority are taking it on board and complying as best as they can and with a good chunk of our British humour.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
The people who know they might get very ill might well stay in isolation as it's a must for their health but you can bet most healthy 70s year olds won't be doing any such thing unless forced too..

They might do it for a week or so but not 12 - just when the weather is improving too.

Loads of over 70s haven’t even lasted a day.Spoke to 5 pensioners today.All been out at some stage 😆

• Like 1

40 tube stations to be closed at some point from today onwards as services will be reduced 

looking through the list, most are stations which don’t interconnect with other lines and lots in central London are the more touristy places which won’t need to be serviced .......

it’s pretty clear where this is headed ...... we have made plans at work to be forcibly shut down from tomorrow - we won’t have an option to go in. 

Edited by st albans fox

Sadly think we will see similar in the UK as Italy, we have all still been going about normally and that was always going to happen with schools open.  Its going to be 2 weeks after the schools close to eveyone that we will see our peak and how bad this virus will be. 

16 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

It seems Italy is nowhere near the top of the curve yet, despite being on lockdown for two weeks.

+475 deaths yesterday....

All these deaths are people likely infected before the shutdown ..... was commented on a few times over the past ten days that any downturn in the death rate would be week 3/4 after the restrictions were brought into place 

we are two weeks behind Italy’s death rate and introducing our restrictions at the same time as they did in their cycle - if London is going to be our ‘lombardy’ then we’re so very deep in the sh1te  .........

Interesting response to the crisis in a house to the back of me last night......

Massive party into the small hours. Sounded like at least 100 people had got together in the house to party the night away. "Social distancing", eh?

:nigel:

8 hours ago, Harrydc said:

The only silver lining that can come from all of this would be allowing us to appreciate things more when/if everything returns to normal. From seeing friends and family, to going out for a pint and to going to the football. All things we have taken for granted. 

I do feel for small businesses, and the effects it could have on those. Hopefully we can come back stronger and can come out of it more caring and grateful. 

& it might encourage some of those dirty pigs that don't usually wash their hands to do so from here on it.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
8 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Good news coming out of China today, no new cases registered, I’m still optimistic that we’ll be more or less out of this by July/August.

What state the country will be in by then is very worrying. 

Unless a vaccination is created (unlikely by then) pretty much the whole scientific community thinks the worst will come in the winter.

Just now, MattP said:

Unless a vaccination is created (unlikely by then) pretty much the whole scientific community thinks the worst will come in the winter.

I would venture that it will have burnt out by then. 

4 minutes ago, Livid said:

The Express on page 2 this morning claiming 129 cases in the Midlands and 26 deaths WTF!!! 

B58E5C77-16E6-4E80-8687-B73ABA913282.jpeg

Don't think about it like that. Think of it as 26 people out of 10,000,000 have died.  Confirmed cases is likely to be a very small percentage of actual cases.

The media are not very good at calming people down.

• Like 2

Just now, nnfox said:

Don't think about it like that. Think of it as 26 people out of 10,000,000 have died.  Confirmed cases is likely to be a very small percentage of actual cases.

The media are not very good at calming people down.

I know, you would think if they were ever going show the slightest hint of social responsibility it would be now. 

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Interesting response to the crisis in a house to the back of me last night......

Massive party into the small hours. Sounded like at least 100 people had got together in the house to party the night away. "Social distancing", eh?

Have you heard of a chicken pox party?

Well this is the corona 🍺 corona 🦠 party.

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I would venture that it will have burnt out by then. 

Unless we've all got it by then, no chance.

Look at the Imperial College research, a serious strain of flu doesnt just burn out in a few months.

Edited by MattP

Guest Markyblue
6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Unless we've all got it by then, no chance.

Look at the Imperial College research, a serious strain of flu doesnt just burn out in a few months.

Every single person who gets it will develop antibodies so in theory a link in the chain of the virus spreading is removed. 

12 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Surreal day. Two months tomorrow was meant to by my first A-level exam, but after the government announcement today this isn’t happening. 
I’m gutted, after spending 7 years, I’ve really enjoyed my time at the school / college and formed some good relationships with some great teachers and friends, it seems that by Friday that’ll be all gone.

I also had my heart set to study at either off the Newcastle universities next year but again, this appears unlikely. I really don’t know what will happen and it’s the uncertainty that worries me.

Gavin Williamson (Education Secretary) said an announcement about GCSEs & A-levels will be made tomorrow.

He seemed to be suggesting that exams wouldn't happen but that, if at all possible, grades would be assigned at the expected time in August - with an appeal system for anyone who felt hard done by.

He didn't say how the grades would be assigned. That will be announced tomorrow. Presumably based on predicted grades, maybe taking any continuous assessment into account?

Should be clearer tomorrow - though I suppose it'll then depend whether the situation allows this to be done by August - and then whether things have subsided enough for schools and unis to re-open in the autumn, and whether that's deemed a good idea with regard to the potential resurgence of the virus. :dunno:

Yes, the deaths, suffering, economy melting down, martial law, empty supermarkets, closed schools and no football are bad.

But then Gal Gadot and friends made it all just a little bit worse.

17 hours ago, StanSP said:

Here? 

No we are critising the Scotland and Wales preemptive announcements, like the Sturgeon coming out of the Cobra meeting and announcing what they weren't doing. Surely if you get a seat at the COBRA table you have a responsibility to be part of the program.