Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The first RCT of Lopinavir/Ritonavir showed no real benefit. Only one trial mind. Think hopes on that one were lower anyway as there wasn't much in vitro evidence

Favipiravir/Avigan (Japan) showed good results in a 200 patient CT in China.  And there have been a lot of reports of success with Chloroquine (anti-malarial), which has the added benefit of being dirt-cheap by drug standards (unless you're in the U.S. and as always pay 100X anywhere else).

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The first RCT of Lopinavir/Ritonavir showed no real benefit. Only one trial mind. Think hopes on that one were lower anyway as there wasn't much in vitro evidence

I thought this was successfully used against SARS and MERS because coronavius has protein and nucleotides in common against which these drugs are successful?

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Been announced by the FA that all remaining games will be played behind closed doors with every PL game shown live on TV.

Just when it couldn't get any worse, Liverpool will win the league! Seriously though, this isn't a bad idea, if only to take peoples minds of things for a short while.

8 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I thought this was successfully used against SARS and MERS because coronavius has protein and nucleotides in common against which these drugs are successful?

I think when it's shown success it was combined with Ribavirin and it wasn't in this trial. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

But you assumed it was true and posted it in here without verifying it. No problem and no big issue, but this is symptomatic of the unsubstantiated rumour driven social media dominated world that we live in - and depending upon the content, the consequences can distressing for some particularly in challenging times such as these. 

Yes I agree. Maybe I was too quick to post as I thought it might engender something positive for us football supporters. Maybe I should delete it.

25 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Progress on treatment will almost certainly outpace progress on a vaccine.  There are at least three existing drugs which have already been clinically tested on humans for use against other diseases (malaria or influenza, primarily) that have shown positive results with COVID-19.  The testing process will be shorter with these and if they can be demonstrably proven effective and mass produced, could have a major impact on reducing the mortality rate even for vulnerable people.  That's why it's so critical to buy time now and keep the health care system from being overwhelmed and collapsing as it did in Italy.

This. Please encourage people to delay the spread as much as possible.

Much of the worried talk is about the length of time a vaccine will take, but there are already anti-viral medications that show early signs of efficacy in treating COVID-19.

One study (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0883944120303907) suggests that chloroquine (currently used effectively as an anti-malarial drug) could be effective in limiting the replication of COVID-19 in vitro. Chloroquine is safe and widely available.

Related, quinine (found in tonic water) is used to fight chloroquine resistant strains of malaria - perhaps chinning a load of G&Ts in your down time is the best way to stay healthy lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Our government should be putting out material like this simple video.  

The comms strategy has been the worst part of the response. Dreadful.

I don't have a huge problem with the communications, tbh.

Boris was clear on the strategy (whether you agree with it or not) at the beginning. We were told what the phases would likely be. Every time he has made an announcement he has been flanked by two scientists who say their bit - and then take questions from the media. 

Boris handles the general bits, and he hands over to the experts for the more technical stuff. (I've not really seen that happen in other countries briefings). 

Maybe they could have hosted more regular briefings initially, but if there is nothing new to say, then I don't massively see the point.

A lot of the hysterical press maybe muddle the messages, but that's not really the Governments fault.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Yes I agree. Maybe I was too quick to post as I thought it might engender something positive for us football supporters. Maybe I should delete it.

Fair enough - and as I said, no harm done. 

Just now, egg_fried_rice said:

This. Please encourage people to delay the spread as much as possible.

Much of the worried talk is about the length of time a vaccine will take, but there are already anti-viral medications that show early signs of efficacy in treating COVID-19.

One study (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0883944120303907) suggests that chloroquine (currently used effectively as an anti-malarial drug) could be effective in limiting the replication of COVID-19 in vitro. Chloroquine is safe and widely available.

Related, quinine (found in tonic water) is used to fight chloroquine resistant strains of malaria - perhaps chinning a load of G&Ts in your down time is the best way to stay healthy lol

I knew the science would eventually class my lifestyle as healthy one day!

48 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Facebook is an absolute cesspit lol 

34 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Been announced by the FA that all remaining games will be played behind closed doors with every PL game shown live on TV.

25 minutes ago, Parafox said:

It's on my wife's FB apparently. She told me.  :dunno:

lol

31 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Favipiravir/Avigan (Japan) showed good results in a 200 patient CT in China.  And there have been a lot of reports of success with Chloroquine (anti-malarial), which has the added benefit of being dirt-cheap by drug standards (unless you're in the U.S. and as always pay 100X anywhere else).

Indeed. Need the report to come out for Favipiravir as atm it's just based on what the Chinese bloke said and hopefully we'll get results of Chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine in the next couple of weeks. 

I assume most of the doom and gloom about how long current measures will last is based on no effective therapies. 

• Like 1

Think the BBC site said this morning that the Chinese government is considered re-opening Wuhan in 14 days time if they have no more domenstic cases within that time.

Think seeing what happens after Wuhan opens up is going to tell us a lot how this is going to be in the future.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

What about when lockdown is over and everyone goes back out does it all start again? 

Time will tell! 

There's potential for a second wave but depends on how people react to 'freedom' even if they do have symptoms...