Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

51 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Big problem in ordering a grocery shop to be delivered in a few weeks time is surely if the shelves still continue to be empty by 9am what the heck are they going to send out for delivery? 

Put random stuff in to book the slot in advance. The day before it’s due to arrive, check the basket, remove whatever is out of stock and add your ‘actual’ shop.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Where’s this schools closed come from ,  my mrs has got to carry on going in. And another thing, know a couple of people who work in the supermarket and from what I can gather, the amount of abuse they’re receiving from selfish shoppers is unreal. They’re on the front line facing 100’s of lunatics with a greatly increased potential of catching the virus on minimum wage. What’s that all about when people are bragging about working from home.

Yeah, it's manic in schools at the moment. I do agree with the decision to close, but it seems to have been done without much forethought.

The Government have not given us any clear advice so far.  We know we're supposed to have parents of key workers in school. But what we still don't know is...

A) What is classified as a key-worker

B) Whether it's just 1 or both parents that have to be key workers

This is supposed to start on Monday. So somehow we have to find out this information from the Government, contact parents and get a response, and then organise staffing, all by the end of Friday. And obviously, a lot of parents, who would like to go to work, are asking whether they qualify, to which the answer is "we don't know".

So I imagine on Monday, we'll have 20 staff in for 5 children.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

We are seeing all the real panic buyers now, the people who actually cause the problem, not the folk slowly topping up their supplies, the prepared ones, they haven’t caused it, because there is still plenty of stock apparently.

It’s the people who have left it till now and feel the need to spend £300 at 7am, emptying the shelves too quickly in a short space of time giving the supply chain no chance to catch up. 

2 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Yeah, it's manic in schools at the moment. I do agree with the decision to close, but it seems to have been done without much forethought.

The Government have not given us any clear advice so far.  We know we're supposed to have parents of key workers in school. But what we still don't know is...

A) What is classified as a key-worker

B) Whether it's just 1 or both parents that have to be key workers

This is supposed to start on Monday. So somehow we have to find out this information from the Government, contact parents and get a response, and then organise staffing, all by the end of Friday. And obviously, a lot of parents, who would like to go to work, are asking whether they qualify, to which the answer is "we don't know".

So I imagine on Monday, we'll have 20 staff in for 5 children.

Edited by yorkie1999

1 minute ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

We are seeing all the real panic buyers now, the people who actually cause the problem, not the folk slowly topping up their supplies, the prepared ones, they haven’t caused it, because there is still plenty of stock apparently.

It’s the people who have left it till now and feel the need to spend £300 at 7am, emptying the shelves too quickly in a short space of time giving the supply chain no chance to catch up. 

So we’re seeing the panic buyers that are now panicking because of the initial wave of panic buyers. I reckon the first wave are / were the real problem.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

Not a big issue in the circumstances but Sky have just put their prices up from April for basic broadband, sky entertainment and a few other options.

Talk about kicking people when they're down?

Really simple........don`t buy it, they will soon change their tack.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gary Eatfood said:

I think the end of July/start of August might be more realistic. Maybe later?

I don't expect normal life to properly resume until around that time, unless an effective treatment that limits the number of people requiring ICU care is developed. That's what I understood from the Imperial College report.

Sounds more likely if even then.

5 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

So we’re seeing the panic buyers that are now panicking because of the initial wave of panic buyers. I reckon the first wave are / were the real problem.

Not at all. Because what is their to panic about, there’s plenty of stock. I’m not talking about the idiots who bought half a ton of loo roll or a ton of pasta they are just as bad but that was a tolerable situation. We now have them buying pretty much anything and everything.

The reason you’ve got people panicking today is nothing to do with reacting to others panic buying it’s the realisation of the situation with measures being ramped up and the real threat of shops closing completely in Italy, that’s what people fear. Being cut off from food.

Edited by Dario_Rodriguez_

1 minute ago, Wet Trump said:

They’re constantly playing catch-up.Don’t now what the thinking is here?Are they hoping that people are going to slow down.Storage space and money?Are they worried that stricter measures will cause unrest?Are they just letting it carry on because they’re clueless?

4 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

They’re constantly playing catch-up.Don’t now what the thinking is here?Are they hoping that people are going to slow down.Storage space and money?Are they worried that stricter measures will cause unrest?Are they just letting it carry on because they’re clueless?

There are restrictions but there’s also a huge increase in people now doing it on a much bigger range of items, it’s a supply chain issue where they can’t get the shelves filled or the deliveries in quickly enough.

Edited by Dario_Rodriguez_

1 hour ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

Not at all. Because what is their to panic about, there’s plenty of stock. I’m not talking about the idiots who bought half a ton of loo roll or a ton of pasta they are just as bad but that was a tolerable situation. We now have them buying pretty much anything and everything.

The reason you’ve got people panicking today is nothing to do with reacting to others panic buying it’s the realisation of the situation with measures being ramped up and the real threat of shops closing completely in Italy, that’s what people fear.

We’ll know in a couple of weeks whose lining up against the wall (Wolfie smith for those who remember) when the wheelie bins are overflowing with rotting food

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

160 at brockington plus 4 other schools to cover

Interesting - I wonder, how have they got 160? Because they can't possibly have the information as to what a 'key worker' is, at it's not yet been released. That number could go down then - seems an awful lot, even for a school that size! 

I teach primary, so we don't even have 160 in the school lol Brockington seems to be about 10%, so that'd put us on about 15 kids. 

Edited by Charl91

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

We went from 104 to 137 today

Italy at the same stage went 107 to 148 

its hard to compare day to day - those rises are within the same 20-40% daily increase envelope …….. worrying in the extreme

tomorrow is the govt's last chance to save millions of jobs and thousands of business'.  by not announcing any forced shut down of bars and offices, they avoid responsibility and industry is left to carry the cost.

we have told our staff that they needn't come in for the time being (all our customers have shut down as retail away from supermarkets is finished). they are paid up till end of the month. beyond that we have no idea what will happen.  we may be able to get a govt loan to help us through the closure but we expect to effectively do no business for at least six more weeks and possibly another six beyond. our working capital is all tied up in the stock that we have now had cancelled.   if we do get a loan then the cost of running the business for that six/twelve weeks becomes debt on our balance sheet. that debt wipes out our the majority of our nett asset value.  many small business' will just refuse to do that and make their staff redundant.   and those business' will likely go bust anyway.  we shall see what suggestions are made tomorrow but without some 'blue sky thinking' and rabbits from hats, the economy is toast.  

This is it, crunch time. They have stood up and said they will do whatever it takes. Well tomorrow is pretty much it. £300 billion mainly in loans is simply nowhere near enough.

Very serious sums of money need to be promised and invested. They've said they will,  we will see if they really mean it.

Just now, PAULCFC said:

As a father of two boys and the mrs works for the NHS......Going to have to swap the morning shift(which i love!) to night's(which i hate!)....Happy days!

Do you know whether they're allowed to be in school?

Just interested to find out what other schools have been told, as we still have no clue lol 

3 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Interesting - I wonder, how have they got 160? Because they can't possibly have the information as to what a 'key worker' is, at it's not yet been released. That number could go down then - seems an awful lot, even for a school that size! 

I teach primary, so we don't even have 160 in the school lol Brockington seems to be about 10%, so that'd put us on about 15 kids. 

Expected

Just now, Charl91 said:

Do you know whether they're allowed to be in school?

Just interested to find out what other schools have been told, as we still have no clue lol 

From what ive been told from the Mrs both parents have to work for the NHS,to get a place....and then the school could be a long way out.