Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

I’ve got a scenario and want peoples takes on it.

Other half works in aviation and is the main income for the house with my pay covering about 2/3’s of the bills. We have enough money in savings to last for about a year without that income.

I pay £430 a month for my car. A great VW Golf GTI, leather seats etc. Would you make a rash decision to sell that now or leave it a month or so?

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Other half works in aviation and is the main income for the house with my pay covering about 2/3’s of the bills. We have enough money in savings to last for about a year without that income.

I pay £430 a month for my car. A great VW Golf GTI, leather seats etc. Would you make a rash decision to sell that now or leave it a month or so?

Well, why do you want to sell it?

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

i'll give you 9 rolls of andrex for it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I'd hazard a guess you're going to struggle to sell at this point, keep calm and carry on me old china.... we'll get through this! Stiff upper lip, what! what!

South Korea, China and Singapore are among the Asian countries facing a second coronavirus wave, spurred by people importing it from outside.

China, where the virus first emerged, confirmed it had no new domestic cases on Wednesday, for the first time since the outbreak began, a major milestone.

But it reported 34 new cases among people recently returned to China.

Singapore also reported 47 new cases, of which 33 were imported - 30 of them returned Singapore residents.

South Korea saw a jump in new cases on Thursday with 152, though it is not clear how many were imported.

A new cluster there is centred on a nursing home in Daegu, where 74 patients have tested positive.

Yeah, South Korea have probably been the best nation at tracking it and shutting it down quickly. The big spike back up today is worrying, these things can have small spikes etc. though so it's way too early to tell if it's a trend.

Posted at 12:1012:10

‘Zero prospect’ of London lockdown

There is "zero prospect of any restrictions being placed on travelling in and out of London”, the UK government has said.

A spokesperson said there were also “no plans to use military personnel for public order during the coronavirus pandemic”.

Asked to comment on the suggestion only one person would be allowed to leave a house at a time, Downing Street said this was "not true”, according to BBC political correspondent Chris Mason.

It comes after speculation London could face a lockdown by the weekend.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Posted at 12:1012:10

‘Zero prospect’ of London lockdown

There is "zero prospect of any restrictions being placed on travelling in and out of London”, the UK government has said.

A spokesperson said there were also “no plans to use military personnel for public order during the coronavirus pandemic”.

Asked to comment on the suggestion only one person would be allowed to leave a house at a time, Downing Street said this was "not true”, according to BBC political correspondent Chris Mason.

It comes after speculation London could face a lockdown by the weekend.

Definitely happening then!

Guest MattP

The government has got to get a grip of communications here.

Ridiculous to have rumours of a lockdown on the capital just swirling around for 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Ridiculous to have rumours of a lockdown on the capital just swirling around for 24 hours.

I hate that it's always 'Downing Street sources' or 'Whitehall sources'. 

Really not needed at time like this where it just stirs up panic and frenzy. Journalists don't help when they make shit up either. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Maybe contact the finance company and ask if they will defer payments, or at least not charge interest?

I've had all work cancelled, so zero income, for at least the next two months - so I feel your pain

54 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

We have enough money in savings to last for about a year without that income.

Fair play :thumbup:

If I had that kind of cash stashed away I’d be doing donuts round Tesco car park in my Golf GTI

• Like 1

The previous stage of the government strategy was premised upon avoiding a huge second spike in winter, at a time it would cripple the NHS particularly badly, hence the lack of strong social distancing measures at that point... is that not still a worry? Obviously it depends on what happens in China etc over the next few weeks but even if we entered the 'high growth' phase earlier than expected, surely the concerns about a second spike over the winter persist?

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Maybe contact the finance company and ask if they will defer payments, or at least not charge interest?

I've had all work cancelled, so zero income, for at least the next two months - so I feel your pain

Don't bother doing this if it's a BMW, i tried and they basically said sell the car or return it. No holiday from payments etc. I may stop the payment the day before and tell them to pick it up, i'm pretty sure they won't as they'll be millions in the same boat, but i'll definitely be changing to a different manufacturer. 

42 minutes ago, davieG said:

South Korea, China and Singapore are among the Asian countries facing a second coronavirus wave, spurred by people importing it from outside.

China, where the virus first emerged, confirmed it had no new domestic cases on Wednesday, for the first time since the outbreak began, a major milestone.

But it reported 34 new cases among people recently returned to China.

Singapore also reported 47 new cases, of which 33 were imported - 30 of them returned Singapore residents.

South Korea saw a jump in new cases on Thursday with 152, though it is not clear how many were imported.

A new cluster there is centred on a nursing home in Daegu, where 74 patients have tested positive.

37 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yeah, South Korea have probably been the best nation at tracking it and shutting it down quickly. The big spike back up today is worrying, these things can have small spikes etc. though so it's way too early to tell if it's a trend.

Given that half of the cases announced today (give or take) were from that one source - that care home in Daegu -  tomorrow will tell us a lot about if this is just a blip or not.

Edited by leicsmac

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

We had a call from someone who's daughter is a reporter at the BBC and they as a corporation are convinced a full lock down and militarily deployment is coming, be that only london I don't know. But she rang her dad in a panic last night.

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I hate that it's always 'Downing Street sources' or 'Whitehall sources'. 

Really not needed at time like this where it just stirs up panic and frenzy. Journalists don't help when they make shit up either. 

Peston appears to being fed bullshit daily now. 

I do wonder if these sources are now even genuinely close to government, they've got sp much wrong recently it's ridiculous. 

21 minutes ago, MattP said:

I was going to ask if people really need telling not to just believe anything the see online. 

Then I remembered, of course they fvcking do. Any news outlet printing rumours for clicks should face massive fines once this has passed imo. 

• Like 3