Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Printing stories like “this could last for years” is not helpful, it might, but it is something we will just have to deal with if such a thing arose. This is what causes the complete idiocy and social ineptitude that is being displayed throughout the country.

Emphasis should be on the immediate. This past week has felt very, very long. 

The problem is that our minds work in sense that we don't really appreciate the present. Our brains function well by looking forward to the future and finding comfort in the past. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

I've been supportive of the government's strategy to date, but this weekend is a real tipping point for Boris.  He needs to stop trying to be everyone's friend and step up.  He is the leader of one of the richest and influential nations on Earth.  Now is the time he needs to act like it and get what needs doing done.

Scaremongering in some situations may not be a bad thing. With an invisible enemy like this, it may be the only way to get people to take it seriously. At present, it feels like I'm having to make decisions on normally unimportant matters, which if wrong, could now prove fatal. The strain of having to cope with that pressure is the stuff of nightmares.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The printed media have been horrendous and should be ashamed of themselves. I've actually noticed people being much friendlier and seen first hand people sharing stuff in the shops, doing shopping for older people etc. But what do we see splashed over the front page? Just images of queues, fights, empty shelves etc. It's disgusting. 

Even more noticeable as I think the media on TV/radio have been great, spreading good advice and just having empathy for the situation. 

This should be the end of the red tops in this country but you know they'll survive like the cockroaches they are. 

Sad state of humanity when fear not hope sells newspapers, or at least those that succumb so readily to fear deafen those that do not.

I live in the sticks and do not make it into my local town (Reading) much, but is this opinion piece true?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/coronavirus-millennials-social-isolation-sacrifice_uk_5e7355a6c5b63c3b648b2a24?utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage

Are people still congregating in bars, restaurants, etc? Surely this is an outdated piece?

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

The one hour early shop opening for the eldery and vulnerable turned out to be a load of shit, elderly neighbour popped out to Sainsburys near me and said it was a free for all.

Not sure if it wasnt policued by security or if people just claimed they were shopping for the eldery but either way it's a bit shit of the big stores to promise something they couldnt stick to.

My old dear just rang me to say the same, shelves absolutely empty and she was there at 9am, when it was meant to open for the 'normal' folk.

35 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

What needs to stop is the media’s constant scaremongering and negative story searching. It’s doing none any good, particularly businesses, the more bad press they read the more inclined they will be to get rid of staff. At the moment it’s the government trying to be overly chipper, the media as always spreading more filth than the virus itself, and people left in limbo not knowing what the hell is going on. 

Printing stories like “this could last for years” is not helpful, it might, but it is something we will just have to deal with if such a thing arose. This is what causes the complete idiocy and social ineptitude that is being displayed throughout the country.

26 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The printed media have been horrendous and should be ashamed of themselves. I've actually noticed people being much friendlier and seen first hand people sharing stuff in the shops, doing shopping for older people etc. But what do we see splashed over the front page? Just images of queues, fights, empty shelves etc. It's disgusting. 

Even more noticeable as I think the media on TV/radio have been great, spreading good advice and just having empathy for the situation. 

This should be the end of the red tops in this country but you know they'll survive like the cockroaches they are. 

I'd consider everyone turning to their local newspaper in times like this, if they feel the national press are taking the piss. Plus they need your cash/clicks more than the nationals do, and through advertising support the kind of businesses most likely to go to the wall first.

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I live in the sticks and do not make it into my local town (Reading) much, but is this opinion piece true?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/coronavirus-millennials-social-isolation-sacrifice_uk_5e7355a6c5b63c3b648b2a24?utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage

Are people still congregating in bars, restaurants, etc? Surely this is an outdated piece?

lol 

All the "millenials" I know are working from home and staying there. Boomers are out in hoards on the other hand. 

• Like 1

It's fair to say there's selfishness going on from all generations, so much stubbornness and naivity around and it's going to carry on until there's a definite lockdown or more direct approach from the government.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

lol 

All the "millenials" I know are working from home and staying there. Boomers are out in hoards on the other hand. 

Either way, send the army in  - @Finnaldo you got work to do

Seriously, my folks are boomers (I hate such labels), they are self isolating but have loads of boomer friends who are determined to just "carry on" regardless, visiting coffee shops, shouting at millenials, the usual stuff

I'm a boomer I guess and apart from  a daily walk around the block  and one visit to Sainsbury's early on when they messed up my online order, which are no longer possible i haven't been out for nearly 3 weeks.

Must move on now as I interrupted a chat with my grandson's teddy bear to write this.

• Like 1

WTF

Paul Villiers

Can someone or everyone in England please help me with this. I am f''ing fuming. My friends daughter works at Queen Elizabeth hospital woolwich Over the past few weeks she has been asked to work extra hours shifts etc doing far more hours then she should. Whilst doing these extra hours helping the sick the injured and of course washing scrubbing and cleaning because of the corona virus all in extra overalls masks and other protective clothing SHE HAS KINDLY BEEN-HANDED 2 PARKING TICKETS Because she worked late and over stayed. Please everyone we need our NHS staff Lets get them free parking

Who are "key workers"?

The full list includes:

• Frontline health workers such as doctors and nurses
  • Some teachers and social workers
  • Workers in key public services including those essential to the justice system, religious staff, and public service journalists
  • Local and national government workers deemed crucial to delivering essential public services
  • Workers involved in food production processing, distribution, sale and delivery
  • Public safety workers including police, armed forces personnel, firefighters, and prison staff
  • Essential air, water, road and rail transport workers
  • Utilities, communication and financial services staff, including postal workers, and waste disposal workers

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Either way, send the army in  - @Finnaldo you got work to do

Seriously, my folks are boomers (I hate such labels), they are self isolating but have loads of boomer friends who are determined to just "carry on" regardless, visiting coffee shops, shouting at millenials, the usual stuff

Not really one for generational tags either but when an article gets written like that it gets people's backs up. The only place I've really seen people my age has been the gym, which will close soon I should think. 

• Like 1