Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

@davieG

RE: Pausing Sky Sports (discussed in here yesterday)

You can do it on the website now. Just log in, and cancel with one click.

Your Sky Sports Subscription will pause from today

Still get access to all the channels and recordings

Just looked page unavailable.

Both my wife and I fall into the group that has been advised to self-isolate.  I've tried as far as possible to follow that advice, trying to limit myself to one shop per week and no social contacts.  I've even bought a mask to (possibly) help when I do go out.  My nightmare is that I contract the virus, pass it on to my wife and she becomes seriously ill so I'm doing everything  I can to limit exposure.

But this situation in the shops is a nightmare.  I usually go to shop early in the morning routinely but today found that many others had the same idea and that there was a large queue to enter.  When I did get inside it was like a scrum, one family had come out in force and were blocking the aisle until they had shovelled all of what they wanted into their shopping trolleys, then were moving a couple of paces forward and repeating.  Needless to say I couldn't get everything I needed which meant that I had to move on to another shop, this one had many empty shelves so I still couldn't get what I needed and to improve matters one enlightened individual, seeing me wearing a mask, wandered over and said 'I hope you catch it and die'.  I went to a third shop and they basically had nothing.

Now I'm looking at travelling to nearby towns and villages in the increasingly vain hope of picking up essentials.  So much for self-isolating.  The situation in our shops is working against the governments strategy and someone needs to do something to stop the hoarders.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

59 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

My old dear just rang me to say the same, shelves absolutely empty and she was there at 9am, when it was meant to open for the 'normal' folk.

If large numbers of people can't buy food this will go downhill very quickly.

Needs action now.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is amazing but the worrying thing for them is that it still looks like it’s about to take off, they’ve done a decent job at pushing the curve back though. 

22 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Both my wife and I fall into the group that has been advised to self-isolate.  I've tried as far as possible to follow that advice, trying to limit myself to one shop per week and no social contacts.  I've even bought a mask to (possibly) help when I do go out.  My nightmare is that I contract the virus, pass it on to my wife and she becomes seriously ill so I'm doing everything  I can to limit exposure.

But this situation in the shops is a nightmare.  I usually go to shop early in the morning routinely but today found that many others had the same idea and that there was a large queue to enter.  When I did get inside it was like a scrum, one family had come out in force and were blocking the aisle until they had shovelled all of what they wanted into their shopping trolleys, then were moving a couple of paces forward and repeating.  Needless to say I couldn't get everything I needed which meant that I had to move on to another shop, this one had many empty shelves so I still couldn't get what I needed and to improve matters one enlightened individual, seeing me wearing a mask, wandered over and said 'I hope you catch it and die'.  I went to a third shop and they basically had nothing.

Now I'm looking at travelling to nearby towns and villages in the increasingly vain hope of picking up essentials.  So much for self-isolating.  The situation in our shops is working against the governments strategy and someone needs to do something to stop the hoarders.

As a population we are not looking good are we!!!  Apparently the States is a bad.  We've just all got too greedy and self centred.

Pictures of Italy especially where cases and deaths are so much higher and France, show the shops full of produce etc.

I'm sure we won't, but many out there have to take a hard look at themselves, the old social media photo shaming might be the best bet for these greedy bullies!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Collymore said:

Just spoke to the till guy at my Lidl and he was angry and frustrated saying people queuing out of carpark from early doors and like "wild wild west" in store. 

Store was ransacked, nothing but alcohol left (what I was after)so that was one blessing I suppose! 

Good thinking, multi purpose - wash you r hands with it as many of these hand sanitizers are alcohol based and then neck the rest.

• Haha 1

Maybe anyone in the essential services category should be given a badge of some sort to wear. Everyone else (folk without the badge) should be banned from leaving their home. The police and army could be mobilised to deliver essential supplies to everyone's door and police the streets. The supplies would be provided by the big supermarkets, all of which would be taken under government control. It would be a colossal undertaking, of course.  

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Maybe anyone in the essential services category should be given a badge of some sort to wear. Everyone else (folk without the badge) should be banned from leaving their home. The police and army could be mobilised to deliver essential supplies to everyone's door and police the streets. The supplies would be provided by the big supermarkets, all of which would be taken under government control. It would be a colossal undertaking, of course.  

Wtf madness is this. Country's economy is going to shite and you want to stop people working that still can? If donkeys stopped hoarding food and I turned off the internet I literally wouldn't know there was anything wrong at all, but instead of letting me carry on you want me under house arrest? 

Get in the sea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

This is horrendous, really. There's more and more of this coming out daily and it seems to be that the early rises are driven by the pictures of empty shelves on the TV/social media.

Every morning I drive past Sainsbury's Fosse Park and the cars stretch ever closer to Pets at Home, depressing me more each day as the panic and desperation sets in. I'm sure there's plenty of individual examples, people who went yesterday and couldn't get anything trying their luck earlier, to people who went and got what they wanted yesterday going again to top up.

From reading stuff, also, it appears that this selfishness has transcended all ages and cultures. I've read examples of young, middle aged and old people with astonishing levels of selfishness and anger. Not just for shopping but going out, ignoring the advice. The abuse people are receiving for waiting in line in the "vulnerable hour" supermarkets are doing for not looking like they fit into that category.

EDIT: I saw a couple of posts about the positive stuff, which I admit is so easy to forget. There are a couple of local community FB pages who have signed up so many people to help street by street to fetch supplies and to support. Local Authorities will play a critical role in helping to reach the isolated people they know about from the programmes they run, too. Selfishness is there, but man alive the community focus some people have is tremendous.

Edited by Footballwipe
  • Like 1

Guest Harrydc

This is all too much, work has shut down and bills to pay. 

Yes I know everyone's going through the same thing before anyone says 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Just looked page unavailable.

I did it last night.. 

Also Good to read,it was translated to my future bill..

Plus they told us,they will take out the pause,when Sports Returns without the necessity of the Customer becoming active..So fair dues..!!

16 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

This is all too much, work has shut down and bills to pay. 

Yes I know everyone's going through the same thing before anyone says 

sorry to hear this mate. It may seem bleak and it's ok to think about yourself.

My team have just been called to a meeting this afternoon..... not sure what about, but definately worried!

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

sorry to hear this mate. It may seem bleak and it's ok to think about yourself.

My team have just been called to a meeting this afternoon..... not sure what about, but definately worried!

Same here, worrying times.....

People are so naive when they suggest we shouldn't be politicising this. This will become more politicised than any other event in recent history. If it is shown that government responses were inadequate, those governments will need to face the music. In the UK there will also be debates on the funding of the NHS and whether ten years of Conservative government has left it under-prepared and cost lives. Around the world there will be more broad debates on liberalism vs state control, economic growth vs health and the environment and the limitations of laissez-faire capitalism. 

This isn't manufactured rage to get easy victories in a culture war anymore. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Unfortunately I don't think this 'Please do this' without any enforcement is working. The bars will still be busy this weekend as people are assholes. 

There needs to be direct enforcement for a real effect. 

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Are people still congregating in bars, restaurants, etc? Surely this is an outdated piece?

I was booked to DJ this weekend but they've now cancelled.

I was planning to tell them I wasn't coming in anyway.

I know he's trying to manage the "panic" element but Boris needs to shut bars/clubs. There wouldn't be many people out anyway, apart from the idiots.

No money from football, no money from DJing - it's shit but safety of the world comes first.

• Like 2

I have colleagues at work that have been recruited from Australia over the last couple of weeks. They generally live in rented accommodation  and are single and without family. They and other singletons, are becoming quite anxious about getting food and supplies from shops and supermarkets as their shift times start before the shops open and by the time they finish work, often 2-3 hrs later than they should, the shelves are empty. 

I imagine this applies to many shift workers. It's not just the elderly who need help getting stuff.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This is horrendous, really. There's more and more of this coming out daily and it seems to be that the early rises are driven by the pictures of empty shelves on the TV/social media.

Every morning I drive past Sainsbury's Fosse Park and the cars stretch ever closer to Pets at Home, depressing me more each day as the panic and desperation sets in. I'm sure there's plenty of individual examples, people who went yesterday and couldn't get anything trying their luck earlier, to people who went and got what they wanted yesterday going again to top up.

From reading stuff, also, it appears that this selfishness has transcended all ages and cultures. I've read examples of young, middle aged and old people with astonishing levels of selfishness and anger. Not just for shopping but going out, ignoring the advice. The abuse people are receiving for waiting in line in the "vulnerable hour" supermarkets are doing for not looking like they fit into that category.

EDIT: I saw a couple of posts about the positive stuff, which I admit is so easy to forget. There are a couple of local community FB pages who have signed up so many people to help street by street to fetch supplies and to support. Local Authorities will play a critical role in helping to reach the isolated people they know about from the programmes they run, too. Selfishness is there, but man alive the community focus some people have is tremendous.

For sane, reasonable people who just want to do a normal shopping run, smaller shops seem to be a much better option.

Interesting how it's the big out-of-town stores - which order the most stock - where the worst problems seem to be. Copycat behaviour? Alienated lives? :dunno:

I've just been in Sainsbury's Local on Queens Road and most items were available - likewise at the Co-op a few days ago.

Sure, I've not seen toilet roll, handwash or dry pasta for a few days.....but there has been kitchen roll, soap and rice, so direct replacements if urgent. Likewise, bread, milk & other important basics.

Likewise, I was in the local greengrocer's a few days ago - ample stock of everything. Walked past greengrocer & baker today and both clearly had plenty of stock (didn't notice butcher's).

I just hope the locusts don't start descending on the smaller shops soon......surely there's only so much room in their homes and freezers?

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

People are so naive when they suggest we shouldn't be politicising this. This will become more politicised than any other event in recent history. If it is shown that government responses were inadequate, those governments will need to face the music. In the UK there will also be debates on the funding of the NHS and whether ten years of Conservative government has left it under-prepared and cost lives. Around the world there will be more broad debates on liberalism vs state control, economic growth vs health and the environment and the limitations of laissez-faire capitalism. 

This isn't manufactured rage to get easy victories in a culture war anymore. 

There is a huge difference between politicising this now and doing so once (if :(things have calmed down. Then, of course, whatever the outcome, a review will be required.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Suspected it but confirmed today - no work or wages for me until year end at the least. Don't even have website money to fall back on anymore.

This really is going to be a shit year. Very fortunate my fiance is a nurse. Or unfortunate I suppose as it means I'll probably get Covid.

Time for a beer I think. I feel like whacking on some Vera Lynn.