Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

I went to Morrisons in Coalville about 8.30 this morning. Loads of shelves empty, no tinned veg or beans etc, little milk or bread , a bit of a waste of time going.

I mentioned that to one of the staff & she says you need to be there at 6am to ensure you can get what you want & that there are at least 200 people waiting at that time everyday.

It is complete madness & so very unfair, I really think it's time for ration books like in wartime. What's the betting that it's loads of the same people going every morning.

Just waiting now for that idiot Corbyn to start spouting that most of the country are living in poverty

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Interesting how it's the big out-of-town stores - which order the most stock - where the worst problems seem to be. Copycat behaviour? Alienated lives? :dunno:

Colleague in the US confronted a chap who was attempting to empty COSTCO by himself, asking him why he was behaving so selfishly.

His response?

"Look around man, everyone is doing it"

We are f***ked

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

There is a huge difference between politicising this now and doing so once (if :(things have calmed down. Then, of course, whatever the outcome, a review will be required.

I agree. And I think people getting tribal over it is disgusting. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Suspected it but confirmed today - no work or wages for me until year end at the least. Don't even have website money to fall back on anymore.

This really is going to be a shit year. Very fortunate my fiance is a nurse. Or unfortunate I suppose as it means I'll probably get Covid.

Time for a beer I think. I feel like whacking on some Vera Lynn.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I know it's been said a million times before but we will get through it. I am probably not going to have any work during the summer and past that I don't know. But there will be thousands of things that we can do so we'll just have to muck in and help out however we can. 

Maybe beer and Vera Lynn isn't the best idea right now lol 

Edited by bovril

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, bovril said:

I'm sorry to hear that.

I know it's been said a million times before but we will get through it. I am probably not going to have any work during the summer and past that I don't know. But there will be thousands of things that we can do so we'll just have to muck in and help out however we can. 

Maybe beer and Vera Lynn isn't the best idea right now lol 

To be honest I'm more worried about health and my family and friends than anything else.

If I have to live frugally for a couple of years thats fine, I can finally start reading through all the classics I want to and watch films I've always said I'd see.

The people or families who are going to struggle to survive are the ones we should be doing everything for at the minute. 

31 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This is horrendous, really. There's more and more of this coming out daily and it seems to be that the early rises are driven by the pictures of empty shelves on the TV/social media.

Every morning I drive past Sainsbury's Fosse Park and the cars stretch ever closer to Pets at Home, depressing me more each day as the panic and desperation sets in. I'm sure there's plenty of individual examples, people who went yesterday and couldn't get anything trying their luck earlier, to people who went and got what they wanted yesterday going again to top up.

From reading stuff, also, it appears that this selfishness has transcended all ages and cultures. I've read examples of young, middle aged and old people with astonishing levels of selfishness and anger. Not just for shopping but going out, ignoring the advice. The abuse people are receiving for waiting in line in the "vulnerable hour" supermarkets are doing for not looking like they fit into that category.

EDIT: I saw a couple of posts about the positive stuff, which I admit is so easy to forget. There are a couple of local community FB pages who have signed up so many people to help street by street to fetch supplies and to support. Local Authorities will play a critical role in helping to reach the isolated people they know about from the programmes they run, too. Selfishness is there, but man alive the community focus some people have is tremendous.

I've seen families queuing to go to checkouts individually. The first gets whatever the limit is of say, bog roll, baked beans, bread etc then pays then the next arrives separately at the till and does the same. 

In Aldi there is a limit of 4 of any item. There was a woman in front of me with a tray of tinned tomatoes and of baked beans. The cashier took all but four tins off her. I think the woman was too embarrassed to argue but it just shows, people will try to get away with anything if they think they can and it is utter, reprehensible selfishness.

54 minutes ago, bmt said:

Hey mate, what do you need? PM me if you want and I'll see if I can get it for you (if you live in Leicestershire) - the Co-op near me has quite a lot of things in still

Much appreciated but I'm in Sussex.   It's good to know that there are decent folk around, thanks for the offer.

I'll go out again tomorrow, hopefully there will be more stock around.  

44 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This is horrendous, really. There's more and more of this coming out daily and it seems to be that the early rises are driven by the pictures of empty shelves on the TV/social media.

Every morning I drive past Sainsbury's Fosse Park and the cars stretch ever closer to Pets at Home, depressing me more each day as the panic and desperation sets in. I'm sure there's plenty of individual examples, people who went yesterday and couldn't get anything trying their luck earlier, to people who went and got what they wanted yesterday going again to top up.

From reading stuff, also, it appears that this selfishness has transcended all ages and cultures. I've read examples of young, middle aged and old people with astonishing levels of selfishness and anger. Not just for shopping but going out, ignoring the advice. The abuse people are receiving for waiting in line in the "vulnerable hour" supermarkets are doing for not looking like they fit into that category.

EDIT: I saw a couple of posts about the positive stuff, which I admit is so easy to forget. There are a couple of local community FB pages who have signed up so many people to help street by street to fetch supplies and to support. Local Authorities will play a critical role in helping to reach the isolated people they know about from the programmes they run, too. Selfishness is there, but man alive the community focus some people have is tremendous.

27 minutes ago, MattP said:

Suspected it but confirmed today - no work or wages for me until year end at the least. Don't even have website money to fall back on anymore.

If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in? 

19 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

UK CV-Panic-Rage.!!!! What do These People have for brains...

Just to Show the positives..I went out,yesterday to the doctor(diabetic routine-control)Told them they can half my planned visits,and I will then call,only if anything

worsens,he Thanked me and said a few others,only that same day offered the same..!!

I then decided to do some Light shopping,I use both my crutches then occasionally  Wheelchair...People in the course of shopping asked me if they could help me,and could meet at the till..!!Then afterwards, they would help me load my car....!!!  Even offered to queue and go to the Chemists for me if necessary...

I only wanted a few things,und Wanted to have a quick look at what was on offer . 

This is in Germany,( though other countries also take some flak) which receives some cynical,ignorant unfair incompetent remarks on this,or other forums & blogs....

The World is full of cynical egoists,idiots,undiscipline characters,ignorant non-caring folk....One questions is the UK Coming up rapidly on the blind-side...!!

Obviously only watching from afar,and TV-media reporting....

Whats wrong in Just  being kind,without Any government asking..!!! 

Nice to see in UK( just started) ,France,Germany, students und older School children,offering to go out shopping/chemists/even Flowers

for disabled & older People but also for known busy Medical staff neighbours....

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in? 

Exam preparation and regulations. 

29 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Much appreciated but I'm in Sussex.   It's good to know that there are decent folk around, thanks for the offer.

I'll go out again tomorrow, hopefully there will be more stock around.  

No worries, don't put yourself at unnecessary risk if you can avoid it. Hope the twat who spoke to you can never find loo roll.

• Like 1

Fook me this thread is a depressing read.

I really feel for those infected by covid, for those who are losing work/pay its a very scary time indeed.

Over here in Canada we havent had it as bad (yet) and lets hope it stays that way. The funny thing is we all laughed at you lot when TP shortages were being announced and then the funny thing is bells started doing it over here. Some things are hard to come by (like meat and some canned goods) but the supply chain system here has been pretty  decent. Shelves are getting stocked, people are slowly listening. We have signs up in lots of grocery stores that say only 2 per customer etc and in the Canadian way most follow. A lot of civility in the stores.  I wont say that we dont have some cvnts in the shops but every time ive been out people have been fantastic.

I still think stores need to hire security on empowering cashiers to ensure nobody is buying more than is allowed. Nip shit in the bud before we become anything close to what some describe in this thread.  

Really hope things turn around for every country sooner than later. Some serious lessons learned after this and governments around the globe need a word with themselves on their lack of responses and leadership.

Keep safe my fellow foxes.

Ps! Love reading the stories about goodwill from citizens. Makes me proud again.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MattP said:

To be honest I'm more worried about health and my family and friends than anything else.

If I have to live frugally for a couple of years thats fine, I can finally start reading through all the classics I want to and watch films I've always said I'd see.

The people or families who are going to struggle to survive are the ones we should be doing everything for at the minute. 

That’s awful news mate. Best wishes and good health to you and your fiancé, she’s really on the frontlines and one of the heroes of this crisis. I have faith you’ll come out fit as ever, otherwise they’ll be no one to piss me off in the politics thread lol 

I’m very, very fortunate in that my CEO announced there’s to be no sick pay as anyone with Coronavirus will get basic pay regardless. Zero hours workers will be given a liveable monthly wage as well.

Thoughts truly go out to anyone suffering through this, financially or healthwise. My mum’s chemo treatment will go on as scheduled and it means she can have virtually no contact with anyone.

50 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

I went to Morrisons in Coalville about 8.30 this morning. Loads of shelves empty, no tinned veg or beans etc, little milk or bread , a bit of a waste of time going.

I mentioned that to one of the staff & she says you need to be there at 6am to ensure you can get what you want & that there are at least 200 people waiting at that time everyday.

It is complete madness & so very unfair, I really think it's time for ration books like in wartime. What's the betting that it's loads of the same people going every morning.

Just waiting now for that idiot Corbyn to start spouting that most of the country are living in poverty

Why the shops aren't being a bit more responsible beats me. Surely it's not that hard to let 50 in and 50 out throughout the day.

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Depending on what your usual duties involve, might it be worth contacting schools, colleges or unis re. temporary work administering whatever replaces all the cancelled exams?

The Govt is supposed to be announcing today what system will replace GCSEs & A-levels. I suppose if they just take predicted grades, there might not be a lot of extra work to do - but there might be, particularly if it is anything more complex.

Good luck, anyway. It's not nice to hear of anyone on here facing difficulties - and I'm sure there are some in much worse situations.

Must be worrying given your fiancée's job, too. Look after yourselves! Same to anyone else facing difficulties: e.g. @Crinklyfox (as I posted before, Crinkly - might be worth focusing on smaller shops, if you can, as they seem calmer & better stocked)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

Do you work for a board or an educational institution? Sorry, just interested. I work in HE and obviously, this is also part of my role. 

2 hours ago, davieG said:

WTF

Paul Villiers

Can someone or everyone in England please help me with this. I am f''ing fuming. My friends daughter works at Queen Elizabeth hospital woolwich Over the past few weeks she has been asked to work extra hours shifts etc doing far more hours then she should. Whilst doing these extra hours helping the sick the injured and of course washing scrubbing and cleaning because of the corona virus all in extra overalls masks and other protective clothing SHE HAS KINDLY BEEN-HANDED 2 PARKING TICKETS Because she worked late and over stayed. Please everyone we need our NHS staff Lets get them free parking

Surely they will be rescinded if challenged, anyway time for front line staff to be issued free parking permits, its a joke.

Just rather glad that politics etc is under the carpet in times like this, as if it's quite irrevalant in this type of emergency situation.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1