Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

We have this one guy in our office who is, to put it mildy, a dirty sod. I have observed him in the rest room and he does his business, often very messily - you don't want to follow him in there and doesn't wash his hands. 

Even the slavishly pro-Boris Telegraph seems to recognise how ridiculous this is

Downing Street and the Department of Health are locked in a row over post-Brexit access to an EU pandemic warning system in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

Matt Hancock’s department wanted to retain membership of the Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) as part of the EU-UK future relationship deal, but No 10 said “no”, The Daily Telegraph has learnt.

Senior health advisers warned that exiting the EWRS, which has helped coordinate the response to the virus and played a vital role during the bird flu outbreak, would put public health at risk.

However, the British negotiating team, which reports to Boris Johnson, did not want to blur the UK’s request for a basic, Canada-style trade deal, it is claimed.

13 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

The Media says;

”Grass is red, it isn’t green.”

British Public says;

”I guess it is pretty red when you actually look at it.”

Honestly just try to think beyond the obvious. How much money is being made by companies because of the scaremongering? 

alcohol gel, face masks, anti bacterial products and wipes and so on. 

Obviously for some specific sanitary products it has resulted in an increase in demand, but far more is being lost by business because of fear!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bmt said:

Where's this from?

My boss just got back from Egypt!

Egypt announced their first confirmed case yesterday but casually mentioned 1400+ suspected cases at the same time. Has exported cases to several different countries already, in patients with no travel history apart from Egypt. A few neighbouring countries closed borders to Egypt yesterday, they wouldn't do that if there was only one case, or even 50. 

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Egypt announced their first confirmed case yesterday but casually mentioned 1400+ suspected cases at the same time. Has exported cases to several different countries already, in patients with no travel history apart from Egypt. A few neighbouring countries closed borders to Egypt yesterday, they wouldn't do that if there was only one case, or even 50. 

Jeez. It's quite interesting seeing how different nations are trying to cover up/prepare for this virus.

I personally feel like there's been quite a bit of British arrogance (from both government and the general public) around our response, but fortunately we are in a better position than most to be able to deal with viruses etc.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Depends what you mean by serious. 

The disease itself is pretty benign, if you got it it would be unpleasant but you'd be fine. It's barely killing anyone or causing lasting damage, a few coffin dodgers or already weakened people have died to it but regular influenza does that anyway. 

But right now we're teetering on the brink of it really breaking out, so they're taking containment very seriously and shutting down as much as possible because even if a true pandemic wouldn't be lethal, it'd still be extremely costly globally. Lots of people unable to work, etc. 

Plus, I mean if you can avoid deaths, even if there aren't many, you're going to try. 

I gather that the official fatality rate is about 2%, but probably a good bit lower in reality due to under-reporting of minor and non-fatal cases, particularly in places like China and Iran.

And most of those dying are elderly or have underlying health conditions.

Mind you, I saw that the figure was 10.5% fatalities for those with chronic cardiovascular conditions (like me) and about 6% for those with chronic respiratory conditions (like @MattP, as he says he has asthma).

The politics threads could be a whole lot quieter in future if Foxes Talk suffers a double whammy. :ph34r:

I'd like to hope that most of those 10.5% with cardiovascular conditions who are dying are also the "coffin dodgers" you refer to, meaning that my odds are slightly better than that.....but who knows?

I struggle to take the vagaries of life and death too seriously at the best of times - and always remember my classmate, who died at 17 when a large deer that had escaped from a wildlife park jumped over a hedge and into his windscreen....

Hopefully a 57-year-old cardio bod is more likely to survive than a 90-year-old cardio bod; likewise for a late-30s bod with chronic asthma v. a 90-year-old....

Out of curiosity, though, at what age does one become a "coffin dodger"? I'm clearly an "already weakened person" but still feel quite vibrant and dynamic (some of the time). I would like to know at what age I'll start to tick both boxes. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I gather that the official fatality rate is about 2%, but probably a good bit lower in reality due to under-reporting of minor and non-fatal cases, particularly in places like China and Iran.

Mind you, I saw that the figure was 10.5% fatalities for those with chronic cardiovascular conditions (like me) and about 6% for those with chronic respiratory conditions (like @MattP, as he says he has asthma).

The politics threads could be a whole lot quieter in future if Foxes Talk suffers a double whammy. :ph34r:

I'd like to hope that most of those 10.5% with cardiovascular conditions who are dying are also the "coffin dodgers" you refer to, meaning that my odds are slightly better than that.....but who knows?

I struggle to take the vagaries of life and death too seriously at the best of times - and always remember my classmate, who died at 17 when a large deer that had escaped from a wildlife park jumped over a hedge and into his windscreen....

Hopefully a 57-year-old cardio bod is more likely to survive than a 90-year-old cardio bod; likewise for a late-30s bod with chronic asthma v. a 90-year-old....

Out of curiosity, though, at what age does one become a "coffin dodger"? I'm clearly an "already weakened person" but still feel quite vibrant and dynamic (some of the time). I would like to know at what age I'll start to tick both boxes. ;)

For the future good of FT, I think we should quaratine @Alf Bentley until further notice so we can preserve our way of life after this blows over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

For the future good of FT, I think we should quaratine @Alf Bentley until further notice so we can preserve our way of life after this blows over.

.....and Matt, surely? Be fair and comradely, Stripey! You'd have to quarantine us in different locations and without Internet access to avoid arguments, though.

11 minutes ago, brucey said:

Yeah Egypt has completely ****ed it, been suspected for days. Horribly irresponsible and its hard to see what they gain from the cover up. Quite worrying how badly some governments handle it and whilst the UK government deserve criticism (PHE have been fab tho) it has done pretty well up to now (bit more leadership needed) 

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I presume I'm edging towards coffin dodging and have a cardiovascular condition as well as being mildly asthmatic so if anyone wants to post some nice eulogies (leave the nasty ones until after I've gone) before it takes me rather than afterwards at least I can go with a smile on my face. :)

Is it safe to go to the Brum match?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Death rates in ALL CASES, including those with preexisting conditions:

Zero fatalities under 9, 0.2% under forty, 0.4% under fifty, 1.3% under sixty, 3.6% under 70 and still a moderately low 8% for people in their seventies. 

It hits 14.8% for over 80s. 

It's at 10.5% for persons with cardiovascular conditions, 7.3% diabetes, 6.3% respiratory disease. The problem with these numbers is that they're not age specific and the older you are, the more likely you are to have a preexisting condition. 

So to answer the question, I'd say that coffin dodging starts at 80.

It's also worth noting that the figures are global and that standards of health care in some affected countries isn't as good as it is here. At the end of the day, you've a comparable chance of dying from bog standard influenza which hasn't managed to kill you off yet Alf. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I presume I'm edging towards coffin dodging and have a cardiovascular condition as well as being mildly asthmatic so if anyone wants to post some nice eulogies (leave the nasty ones until after I've gone) before it takes me rather than afterwards at least I can go with a smile on my face. :)

Is it safe to go to the Brum match?

It will be safe to go to the Brum match. It might not be safe to be at it (particularly if your name is Rodgers or Chilwell) if we don't improve on the Norwich performance.

In all seriousness, though, what the hell will the football authorities do if matches have to be cancelled, even for 2-3 weeks, given tight schedule, TV commitments, European qualification, Euros in the summer etc?

A minor matter compared to life and death, of course, but it could be mayhem.....and what would happen re. the title and European qualification if there's a longer shutdown and the season can't be finished? :o

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

It will be safe to go to the Brum match. It might not be safe to be at it (particularly if your name is Rodgers or Chilwell) if we don't improve on the Norwich performance.

In all seriousness, though, what the hell will the football authorities do if matches have to be cancelled, even for 2-3 weeks, given tight schedule, TV commitments, European qualification, Euros in the summer etc?

A minor matter compared to life and death, of course, but it could be mayhem.....and what would happen re. the title and European qualification if there's a longer shutdown and the season can't be finished? :o

Perhaps we should campaign to end the season now with the current status taken for all awards etc.

Guaranteed 3rd.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Perhaps we should campaign to end the season now with the current status taken for all awards etc.

Guaranteed 3rd.

Would be nice but the relegation battlers would kick up a fuss. It'd just be played behind closed doors. 

Guest MattP
7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

At the end of the day, you've a comparable chance of dying from bog standard influenza which hasn't managed to kill you off yet Alf. 

Not really, as anyone with my condition is immunised against that every year when we get the flu jab.

I'm not at the point of worrying as I don't see the point, but when you see a possible epidemic that officially gives you a 6% chance of dying if you get it you can't help but be a little cautious about it.

Still going City and Cheltenham though lol

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Alcohol is effective against enveloped viruses of which coronaviruses are one. 

Handwashing is generally more effective than hand gel at killing stuff. But obviously in a public place, handwashing might involve touching public restroom doors etc. so may not be better.

Working in a hospital I've never heard the thing about having to wash hands after using hand gel. Googling doesn't show much except someone being paranoid about the 0.001% of things that aren't killed. I don't think it's necessary. 

Forgive my memory, but I THINK he said that alcohol gel was found to be a good environment for bacillus, whatever that is.  It may not have been that, but there you go - it was something that is supposedly quite bad.  The thrust of it was that the alcohol gel should be a supplement to existing good hand hygiene rather than replacing what you were doing already (unless. presumably, you were cleaning your hands by pissing on them or something)

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Not really, as anyone with my condition is immunised against that every year when we get the flu jab.

I'm not at the point of worrying as I don't see the point, but when you see a possible epidemic that officially gives you a 6% chance of dying if you get it you can't help but be a little cautious about it.

Still going City and Cheltenham though lol

Eh, every year I assume you get a cold or  bug or two, any one of which could develop in to an RTI, pneumonia or bronchitis all of which could have dangerous complications for you if no treated. 

Your 94% survival rate will go up because you're in a country with tidy nationalised health care at reasonable standards that's on high alert, you're on high alert and you'll be looking for the symptoms immediately and it'll be taken immensely seriously. 

Plus, you're talking about a disease that's so far infected 32 out of some, what, 67+ million people in the country? 

Being aware and mindful, okay, sensible. Any level of concern above that is probably just over reacting to hysteria tbqh.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, davieG said:

Guaranteed 3rd.

I can see it now. Prem called off with European places dished out to the 'Big 6' on the suggestion of Sky Sports.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

I use those sanitizer hand gels regularly and carry them around with me and in the car etc.

I ran out recently so went into my local town yesterday to buy some more.

Boots, Superdrug, M&S, Waitrose, pound shops, everywhere, completely sold out.

They’re printing money with this virus that’s for sure.

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

My uncle and employees at his workplace have been given some hand sanitiser gel bottle at work. 

Made in China by a company based in Italy lol

At least if anyone knows their shit they do.