Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, stripeyfox said:

just been chatting to someone on my street as she walked past with her dog (at a safe distance of course!), She said her parents who also live on the street are both showing symptoms but are refusing to isolate totally as they enjoy their daily walk to Tesco!

Which Tesco?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread, wife is Self employed and has had to stop working since the measurs the PM put in place last week. I have looked into anything she can claim from the govt before start of June (on what Rishi announced last week) - cant claim universal credit because its means tested and my income is too high but looks like she can claim something called ESA? £72 a week, is not great but its better than a smack in the face.

My problem being is how do you actually apply for it? Ive registered for her on universal credit as I assume thats the avenue you have to go down, but massive waiting times on getting her digitally verified. Neither of us have claimed anything in our lives so not used to the system. This ESA benefit isnt means tested so by the looks of it could be fine. Can anyone help? Alos posting this in the questions thread.  Thanks 

Google ESA for the Government Site on Eligibility.

ESA is a benefit for people whose ability to work is limited by disability or poor health.

To be eligible for ESA, you must be: 

• at least 16 and under state pension age
  • have an illness or condition that prevents or impairs your ability to work

if she had to stop working because of what the government have put in place I don’t think that fits the Criteria above, unless she is ill with Covid19

hope that helps 

Edited by HankMarvin

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread, wife is Self employed and has had to stop working since the measurs the PM put in place last week. I have looked into anything she can claim from the govt before start of June (on what Rishi announced last week) - cant claim universal credit because its means tested and my income is too high but looks like she can claim something called ESA? £72 a week, is not great but its better than a smack in the face.

My problem being is how do you actually apply for it? Ive registered for her on universal credit as I assume thats the avenue you have to go down, but massive waiting times on getting her digitally verified. Neither of us have claimed anything in our lives so not used to the system. This ESA benefit isnt means tested so by the looks of it could be fine. Can anyone help? Alos posting this in the questions thread.  Thanks 

I'm sure Rishi Sunak said that they were relaxing the means testing for UC for the duration of the crisis, but those new rules don't come in until 6th April.

23 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

just been chatting to someone on my street as she walked past with her dog (at a safe distance of course!), She said her parents who also live on the street are both showing symptoms but are refusing to isolate totally as they enjoy their daily walk to Tesco!

Older generation arrogance and ‘stiff upper lip’ is going to fvck a lot of this up. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think originally an hour was suggested, but now they are just saying minimise your time outside.

There was a professional on the Victoria Derbyshire's segment on the daily update news yesterday (can't remember his name, William something?) still saying only do an hour outside. He was asked a scenario of a woman who can only go out once with her kids and what if she wanted to go out again (given you're only allowed out once a day). He maintained the hour thing once a day but did hint at doing 30 mins with the kids outside and then 30 mins herself. 

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I'd punch my parents if they were that stupid.

PS. I'm not even joking.

18 hours ago, Durnerz said:

Things have calmed down a heck of a lot in the supermarket and its far better and easier to shop than pretty much any time I can remember. I work for Aldi and can advise the best time to go is around 9-10am after the initial 'rush'....if you can call it that! We have pretty much everything back in stock now.

Thanks! We got there about 920 and didn't even have to queue to get in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Fear a lot of idiots are going to spoil this for the rest of us.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

180 more deaths today. The number has dropped 2 days in a row.

It's good news when any number drops, but I kind of feel the death figure doesn't tell a proper story. We want the new cases figure to drop. 

• Like 3

Early days but today's new case numbers in Italy are very good news. It looks like they may have peaked there and looks like after a week of stabilising, new numbers are starting to decline.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's good news when any number drops, but I kind of feel the death figure doesn't tell a proper story. We want the new cases figure to drop. 

In theory the fall in new cases should be 1-2 weeks earlier than the fall in deaths... Italy are now seeing the effects of their social distancing with a rapid fall in new cases, but their deaths have been pretty constant for about a week now

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I’m in a very similar situation, I’m self employed and have no income at all, until (hopefully) the self employed grant in June. My girlfriend and I have a mortgage together, but because she earns a certain amount (really not that much) I wouldn’t get anything - according to the UC rep I spoke to on the phone.

Im sure I read on .gov that JSE/ESA or whatever it is requires some sort of disability to claim it. No idea what the official amendments to the requirements for eligibility are though.

Really haven’t got a clue what I’m doing! 

• Sad 1

Wish when journalists are allowed to ask questions in these press conferences they just asked one question (two at most). Some of them ask so many questions in one go and ramble on; by the time they've finished you've forget what the original question was.

Plus: when they ask multiple questions it gives the person answering a good chance of not focusing on the most important question.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 3

Some of the press coverage is poor and when not its sensationalistic. BBC is not too bad apart from their fixation with America.

On Sky News on line written version today the reporter wrote that front line workers are being screened with the antibody test. Unfortunately as of yet there isn't one. She should be sacked on the spot.

To be fair its of the same standard as their current football 'journalism'.

12 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Wish when journalists are allowed to ask questions in these press conferences they just asked one question (two at most). Some of them ask so many questions in one go and ramble on; by the time they've finished you've forget what the original question was.

Plus: when they ask multiple questions it gives the person answering a good chance of not focusing on the most important question.

I had the same thought, might be showing up my bad memory though!