Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

At least we agree that the government were only able to act upon the information they had at the time,as you say. 

My point is more that the general population failed to act upon the advice we were given, and still aren't in many cases. DavieG has pointed this out in his post above, and his example is probably one of many, the whole country over. 

Considering the odd person is flouting the rules now, people staying social distancing should have been brought in sooner is a moot point.

Most of the us on here would have abided but half the country would have ignorantly thought 'fu ck that, I know better' and gone about their daily business anyway. By the time lockdown was implemented people were in more of a position to mentally accepted it.

Edited by Nalis
Typo

47 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'd be very interested in going back to the beginning of this thread to see how many of those now complaining that the government haven't done enough were the same people saying that there was nothing to worry about, that this was just going to be another flu, and that anyone worried was over reacting. Hindsight is always 20:20 as they say. 

Also, it's pretty obvious that The Times is just The Sun in a different guise, so presumably Murdoch has recently decided that he doesn't want Boris in charge any more? 

Wow. You do realise that Coronavirus came onto the government’s radar around December don’t you?

I assume, by your logic that the government don’t get much more visibility on these kind of things than us, that over Christmas you were discussing round the dinner table how you’d mitigate the risk?

As a general public, a large proportion of how we judge things is determined by a) what our press tell us and b) what our government tell us. Which is why in undemocratic societies the rulers have control over both.

Our opinion on the virus was informed by what the government had told the press and only started to be formed once this became tangible in the UK. The government had a three month head start on us in how we should handle this situation.

Out of interest, have you read the Times report? If so, interested (genuinely) to hear your take on the findings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bovril said:

This is a bit of a fallacy though, because the government has access to much more information than foxestalkers do. So it would be perfectly reasonable for someone to have thought Covid-19 was "just the flu" but then later believe the government should've acted more decisively with the info they had.

Yet they can now call them out ok? Surely they still have more information than foxestalkers.

7 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Coming into this situation with already a mindset that the UK is somehow different, that you’re on top of your game and that the economy is paramount 100% impacts how you handle a situation like this. People say it’s humanitarian that we sent PPE to China but it’s also a clear indication of mindset (“we won’t need this, you have it”). When Gove today says they sent more back than we sent originally and we’ve still have a shortage then just how bad was the shortage?

Seriously - what we sent was a drop in the ocean and we would have got a lot more back as a thank you 

our PPE stocks are clearly woefully inadequate and someone somewhere has screwed up re the risk assessment of what’s needed in the case of a  possible respiratory pandemic ........ perhaps whoever was responsible hadn’t taken into account that a pandemic could start in China and decimate their PPE production base, leading to a global shortage just at the time the whole world needs the stuff. 

I’m confident that once we have secured huge stocks of face masks it will suddenly become govt policy for everyone to wear masks when out and about.  Of course it will be co incidence that the scientific study conclusions will come out at the same time as the availability  .......

40 minutes ago, bovril said:

This is a bit of a fallacy though, because the government has access to much more information than foxestalkers do. So it would be perfectly reasonable for someone to have thought Covid-19 was "just the flu" but then later believe the government should've acted more decisively with the info they had.

Many people thought that way (just re read this thread) but the idea that the worlds largest manufacturing country would shut down for five weeks for an outbreak of the flu should have been a big enough flashing light for govts around the world ...... though as per previous posts, it may have made little difference specifically  re PPE but the govt could have handled local production supply chains v differently 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Seriously - what we sent was a drop in the ocean and we would have got a lot more back as a thank you 

our PPE stocks are clearly woefully inadequate and someone somewhere has screwed up re the risk assessment of what’s needed in the case of a  possible respiratory pandemic ........ perhaps whoever was responsible hadn’t taken into account that a pandemic could start in China and decimate their PPE production base, leading to a global shortage just at the time the whole world needs the stuff. 

I’m confident that once we have secured huge stocks of face masks it will suddenly become govt policy for everyone to wear masks when out and about.  Of course it will be co incidence that the scientific study conclusions will come out at the same time as the availability  .......

If the person responsible for the pandemic plan hadn’t accounted for the fact it might come from China... nonsense.

Experts have been saying for years that there was huge pandemic potential from China. We had already had a warning with SARS. It would be like an Ebola-like disease hitting hard in a few years’ time and, in excusing the poor preparations, someone saying “maybe they didn’t think this thing would come from Africa”.

Perhaps the failing is reliance on one country for vital equipment to tackle a pandemic?

I wouldn’t dare suggest that sending that equipment was out of mistaken belief we wouldn’t need it and less humanitarian and more economically motivated. Not at all... :whistle:

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'd be very interested in going back to the beginning of this thread to see how many of those now complaining that the government haven't done enough were the same people saying that there was nothing to worry about, that this was just going to be another flu, and that anyone worried was over reacting. Hindsight is always 20:20 as they say. 

page 6 bro but nobody took me seriously 

On 03/02/2020 at 18:03, ScouseFox said:

just watching the local news. almost definitely going to die. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

People love a good blame don't they.

Not sure what it really achieves, but blame away til your hearts content...

Things you shouldn't blame it on:

a) the sunshine

b) the moonlight

c) the good times

d) the boogie

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

These days it's all about winning the argument and being morally superior, especially in hindsight, and if you don't agree you're a fascist.

(c) Jezza

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

These days it's all about winning the argument and being morally superior, especially in hindsight, and if you don't agree you're a fascist.

Guilty as charged but I have a child so it goes with the job

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I bet Gove doesn't know the starting line up for Leicester games a week before. 

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Interesting comparison. In one corner our government with access to the best pandemic response, modelling and scientific advice and in the other the collective wisdom of the posters on an internet football forum 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Things you shouldn't blame it on:

a) the sunshine

b) the moonlight

c) the good times

d) the boogie

(c) Jezza

Ah yes, Jezbolah.

Worst return of seats IN HIS OWN LIFETIME and yet, amazingly, he won the argument!

Well done Jez! Your argument was absolutely spot on, it just turns out you were completely ineffective. Not that anyone had been saying that for the last few years.

On 29/02/2020 at 17:36, Countryfox said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if this turned into a worldwide pandemic and we’ll all be in a lockdown situation very soon and it will go on for ages ...     and bog rolls will be in very short supply ...

....   and it also wouldn’t surprise me if bats had something to do with it !!!!    

22 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

page 6 bro but nobody took me seriously 

They wouldn’t listen to us Scouse ...