Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

The UK might be having some problems with PPE supply, but it could be worse:

94078424_10217128540226792_8806846718374

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/hospitals-face-a-white-house-blockade-for-coronavirus-ppe.html

Where, exactly, was the Feeb looking to take that paid-for PPE? My guess would be a red state, simply because the Trump admin knows that rural states will get hit hard in some time because they've avoided/are avoiding lockdowns for political reasons, and so they're "requisitioning" the supplies to try and keep the hospitals in red states supplied when people start dying, again for political reasons to make it seem like the virus is just a city problem.

Reward the states that support you, punish those that oppose you, even in matters of life and death.

it’s not that different over here. Most PPE is now coming by airfreight from China. 

you have to pay 100% up front before production starts, the air freight companies are also demanding 100% upfront (on hugely inflated charges because so few flights operating- now ten times the rate it was early March) in case Chinese customs confiscate the consignment re incorrect paperwork and certificates.  And then you have the chance that U.K. customs could query the goods when they arrive here if they aren’t happy with the quality certificates.  

I guess MI6 appearing at the warehouse would be fun!

9 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Isnt the point of democratic societies that elected officials, particularly with the UK's system of government and elections, are accountable for what are still political decisions? This isn't Sweden where control of the response is actually formally delegated elsewhere. I'm not particularly keen on blaming the politicians, either individually or collectively, but it does seem to me that it was set up early to be easy to pass the buck to the scientists advising the government and avoid making tough political decisions. 

A decent point well made. I guess the decision to follow one strategy over the other was probably a political decision. 

9 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Isnt the point of democratic societies that elected officials, particularly with the UK's system of government and elections, are accountable for what are still political decisions? This isn't Sweden where control of the response is actually formally delegated elsewhere. I'm not particularly keen on blaming the politicians, either individually or collectively, but it does seem to me that it was set up early to be easy to pass the buck to the scientists advising the government and avoid making tough political decisions. 

Just to add to this, the Chief Scientific Adviser & Chief Medical Officer (Vallance & Whitty respectively) are both government-appointed positions. Even though I’m not doubting their credentials or expertise for a minute, it’s ultimately a political position as per any advisory role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

it’s not that different over here. Most PPE is now coming by airfreight from China. 

you have to pay 100% up front before production starts, the air freight companies are also demanding 100% upfront (on hugely inflated charges because so few flights operating- now ten times the rate it was early March) in case Chinese customs confiscate the consignment re incorrect paperwork and certificates.  And then you have the chance that U.K. customs could query the goods when they arrive here if they aren’t happy with the quality certificates.  

I guess MI6 appearing at the warehouse would be fun!

It's the last sentence that's the pertinent part, really. Say what you want about the UK system but I don't think you'd have MI5 holding up a shipment of PPE and confiscating it before most likely redirecting it to a constituency that voted Conservative.

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Unbelievable. The virtue signalling that is accompanying this pandemic is nauseating.

It is a bit.

When it crosses over from genuine appreciation to self-promotion it can be a bit distasteful.

An interesting take (not a personal opinion) is that Swedish officials seem to think that they're approaching a number of infections in the population which will mean that infection rate will slow down and eventually stop (aka herd immunity). 

36 minutes ago, Lionator said:

An interesting take (not a personal opinion) is that Swedish officials seem to think that they're approaching a number of infections in the population which will mean that infection rate will slow down and eventually stop (aka herd immunity). 

That sounds really unlikely except perhaps in very small localities where a large percentage have had it.

41 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The absolute monsters.

20 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The absolute monsters.

To be fair this is released a couple days after this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-deaths-lockdown-social-distancing-denmark-finland-norway-a9470771.html

Perhaps it is working (which we’ll come to see) but it seems to be at least partially in response to criticism for a grim death toll so far.

8 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

He sounds like a patronising arsewipe

The only reason I'm still friends with him on FB is to laugh at posts like that, he's a bit of a goldmine in that respect.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

To be fair this is released a couple days after this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-deaths-lockdown-social-distancing-denmark-finland-norway-a9470771.html

Perhaps it is working (which we’ll come to see) but it seems to be at least partially in response to criticism for a grim death toll so far.

Their thoughts come through the idea that this simply cant be eradicated. So ultimately they’re ‘taking it on the chin’. In the long term this may actually be better for their economy if it turns out that other countries that have locked down now have wave after wave where death numbers would equal the final Swedish total anyway. If however other countries do manage to stay in control of this post lockdown then the Swedish authorities will have a lot to answer for. 

Epidemiological models are our best predictors however nobody even at this point has a clue how this is going to play out long term. 

Speaking of Sweden, they have also notably added anyone who is obese (BMI 40 or above) to it's highest risk category on par with anyone over 70.

I'm surprised we've not done the same given how many of those younger people with no underlying conditions dying have been overweight or obese.

I notice they also make an exception of asthma under lung conditions unlike us. They seem to suggest they don't believe it's a serious potential condition for Covid as we do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.se/20200420/risk-groups-for-coronavirus-in-sweden-obesity-diabetes-heart-lung/amp

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Their thoughts come through the idea that this simply cant be eradicated. So ultimately they’re ‘taking it on the chin’. In the long term this may actually be better for their economy if it turns out that other countries that have locked down now have wave after wave where death numbers would equal the final Swedish total anyway. If however other countries do manage to stay in control of this post lockdown then the Swedish authorities will have a lot to answer for. 

Epidemiological models are our best predictors however nobody even at this point has a clue how this is going to play out long term. 

I'm not qualified at all to make this conclusion but based on;

A) How contagious it is and,

B) How undetectable it can be (asymptomatic)

I would say Sweden are probably right to take it on the chin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Well, looking at it from a rather macabre and purely chilly scientific outlook it's rather good that Sweden are taking that route because it will give the world vital data for contrasting approaches from nations with respect to all this which could end up being very useful down the line when this is all over.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nalis said:

There's a guy I know who is now dedicating his usual 10k weekend runs to key workers and the NHS, not even fundraising just 'dedicating' something he is doing anyway.

People just don't see it do they? lol

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

31 minutes ago, Nalis said:

There's a guy I know who is now dedicating his usual 10k weekend runs to key workers and the NHS, not even fundraising just 'dedicating' something he is doing anyway.

Too many people believe they're the protagonist in a life film that everybody is watching.

• Like 4