Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Wow!!!!!

UK Communities Minister Robert Jenrick defended the change, saying it was "right to "update and broaden" the message.

"Stay alert will mean stay alert by staying home as much as possible," he told Andrew Marr.

I get the sentiment but as soon as you change 'Stay Home' to 'Stay Home (as much as possible...) it becomes less of an instruction and more of a request.

Some will still adhere to the request (including me as I've been told to shield until end of June) but others will see it as a green light to just go back to normal I reckon.

It's a tough call to make and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy really. 

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I get the sentiment but as soon as you change 'Stay Home' to 'Stay Home (as much as possible...) it becomes less of an instruction and more of a request.

Some will still adhere to the request (including me as I've been told to shield until end of June) but others will see it as a green light to just go back to normal I reckon.

The spread of this will depend a lot on how many people stay at home because they are scared of catching this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm staying at home because i'm scared of catching this bastard and I'm sure as hell going to stay alert on my daily walk as it's now impossible not to be passed by so many people walking, congregating and cycling unlike at the start of this when you'd be unlucky to see more than a couple of people.

I'm sorry to call you on this as you are a good poster but surely other people are allowed to go for their daily walk too as well as you?

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I wish all my enemies had stayed at home,then I wouldnt be sitting in this small cell,for popping them off...:ph34r:

Just now, Nalis said:

I'm sorry to call you on this as you are a good poster but surely other people are allowed to go for their daily walk too as well as you?

Of course my point was that as there are now so many out walking/cycling you have to be more alert to the situation especially as a large section of them seem to make no allowance by moving to one side but just stroll on down the centre of the pathway seemingly oblivious to the whole situation, MrsG got brushed by a cyclist passing much to close yesterday. Hence my comment -  "I'm sure as hell going to stay alert on my daily walk"

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

As it should be. Right now most sane people are shitting themselves over this virus, even if they don't particularly have a medical need to. Tone down this do or die rhetoric so the section of the public that will eventually need to be out and working can get some sense of mental stability before things start reopening. Shelter the vulnerable as much as is humanly possible and slowly start easing up.

This shite isn't going away any time soon, we can't pull a china and forcibly keep everyone at home until it passes, time we start living with it. People are getting close to the end of their tethers, me included, a bit of hope, even if it's just a softening of the constant STAY HOME SAVE LIVES!!!!!! could go a long way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Of course my point was that as there are now so many out walking/cycling you have to be more alert to the situation especially as a large section of them seem to make no allowance by moving to one side but just stroll on down the centre of the pathway seemingly oblivious to the whole situation, MrsG got brushed by a cyclist passing much to close yesterday. Hence my comment -  "I'm sure as hell going to stay alert on my daily walk"

Fair points, at first it was the joggers who were annoying around our way but I think its just small sections of walkers / joggers/ cyclists.

Im afraid this will open the flood gates for people to use as an excuse to start going out more. The emphasis and risk factor will be diluted by the sentiment of today. With regards to the so called 14 day isolation period by incoming travellers and lack of testing, this is way too late and an epic epic failure by the government. There will be a second wave of deaths no doubt about it.

14 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Fair points, at first it was the joggers who were annoying around our way but I think its just small sections of walkers / joggers/ cyclists.

Yes and joggers breathing heavily. The thing is you can smell people's cigarette and perfume as they pass, now I don't know the relevance of that with the possibility of spreading but I'm alert to it.

8 hours ago, davieG said:

If its not cyclists getting in My Way when I am driving,its Now all these Bloody pedestrians,swaying over the path when I am cycling...

Then when I decide to walk it All these...car,bikes,und pedestrians....So I have decided to buy a  20 Drones, Jacket that Lifts me up and allows me to hover ...Then I found this...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Yes ...  very accurate ...   something like 12 right out of 14 I think ....  perhaps we should have put two bowls of food out for him with Lockdown on one and No Lockdown on the other ...    

I think the gist of it is Mc Pantsdowns predictions were historically not that good and is yet another subject to be chewed over by the press ...   recriminations, accusations and general finger pointing seem to be the hot topics every day ...   personally I find it slightly irritating and depressing ...   at the end of the day we are a very small island with about 67m people crammed on top of it and whatever we do we are probably going to look worse than many other European countries.   

One Way of perspectives I suppose,to create the Mother of all excuses..!!!

22 minutes ago, davieG said:

Unfortunately that just sums up the general arseholes we have in society.

I've spent more time cycling down the middle of the road on my own, than many do when they go out in groups to make sure I give people their distance. Much to the delight of the DPD drivers round here lol

Just now, Bayfox said:

I've spent more time cycling down the middle of the road on my own, than many do when they go out in groups to make sure I give people their distance. Much to the delight of the DPD drivers round here lol

You barsteward..!!!  Thats Why my friggin Parcel are always late.....Your a sort of White-cycle man...that gives others a Bad name..:whistle:

• Haha 1

Just now, Bayfox said:

We had to pass a family of 4 cyclist (assume they were a family, the kids looked like mid-teens) admittedly on a joint pavement/cycle way but it was us that ended up walking in the road which was a dual carriage way with very little traffic on it. 

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

Being a polite cyclist myself, and one who mostly commutes to work on my bike I get just as miffed by walkers who have no idea how to distance themselves on a shared path. The amount of times a couple will split apart (having heard my bell) and stand either side of the path leaving me no option but to have to cycle between them. I thank them, and then curse under my breath. 
You are right in remaining very alert, if only everyone else shared the same mantra.

• Like 1

@st albans fox surely you see the confusion changing the message would cause though?!

Stay at Home - literally so simple to follow.

Stay Alert - huh?

'Stay alert means stay alert by staying at home as much as possible' - so, stay at home then like before?!

lol 

3 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Surely there is a very strong argument for most people to continue with life and those who are elderly/bad health to isolate for longer?

Screenshot_20200510_115940_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Do you have a link to the source of that?

17 minutes ago, Raj said:

Im afraid this will open the flood gates for people to use as an excuse to start going out more. The emphasis and risk factor will be diluted by the sentiment of today. With regards to the so called 14 day isolation period by incoming travellers and lack of testing, this is way too late and an epic epic failure by the government. There will be a second wave of deaths no doubt about it.

The 14 day rule should have been brought in as soon as China had it. We had the perfect chance to say, if you want to travel you will be put in isolation for 14 days on touch down on UK soil, would have saved 1000s of lives.

My sister in law and her husband had to pull their flight to NZ forward a week and made it in with a few hours to spare, they were placed straight into isolation in an air b&b allocated by the state, they were left to rely on food parcels dropped on the door step, supermarkets were only allowed to sell essential items only, none of the old middle isle at aldi lol to the point when they wanted a bowl, they couldn't get one as it wasn't a food item.

That was the way to do it. We failed and at the cost of lives and the economy, not sure how we will look back on this in the future but I don't think it will be favourable that's for sure.

So many mistakes have been made in 2020 it's almost unforgivable.

• Like 2

Just now, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Being a polite cyclist myself, and one who mostly commutes to work on my bike I get just as miffed by walkers who have no idea how to distance themselves on a shared path. The amount of times a couple will split apart (having heard my bell) and stand either side of the path leaving me no option but to have to cycle between them. I thank them, and then curse under my breath. 
You are right in remaining very alert, if only everyone else shared the same mantra.

Oh yeah the walkers can be just as bad all ages as well and so many on their phones :dunno: surely they've got all day to make calls. It just makes them oblivious to their surroundings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

@st albans fox surely you see the confusion changing the message would cause though?!

Stay at Home - literally so simple to follow.

Stay Alert - huh?

'Stay alert means stay alert by staying at home as much as possible' - so, stay at home then like before?!

lol 

Thanks Stan - makes sense now ............