Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Have just read an absolutely fascinating little blog by a professor of biology in the US. I'll post the link at the bottom but it basically sums up how much going back to work could massively increase the infection spread. She uses the formula of Exposure vs Time to identify risk. 

If you brush past people in the supermarket, it's still much less risk because you aren't exposed to as much and she says it's about 5+ minutes before you catch enough. Yet if we all go back to work in offices which are air conditioned, even if we are sat 4 metres away from someone else, the fact that we're sharing the same air space for up to 8 hours is a much greater risk.

It suggests that Risk Assessments are going to be crucial in people going back to work.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR3YenzvHuCQ0g2J0fQqsB5Sc9npnWmKV8s4h4Z_MT3qXQDSEmy0gHxslRc

17 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

How are people finding this confusing? 

DA8BF65C-7DC8-4AB1-BD39-07F04FE32D28.thumb.jpeg.260cbad55e434d0b15dc4e0de519e0a6.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Because they want to. 

Or because 'Stay Alert' is an absolutely fvcking crap slogan for this situation (compared to the last one, which was very clear and something the government deserve credit for).

Stay alert? The virus isn't going to mug us or try to swindle OAPs over the phone.

The fact Downing Street have had to issue a further statement clarifying exactly what they mean says it all. It's so open to interpretation, and people will (if the behavioural changes I've noticed over the past few days are owt to go by) end up interpreting such a vague headline message in ways that will end up costing more lives.

Really, really hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Or because 'Stay Alert' is an absolutely fvcking crap slogan for this situation (compared to the last one, which was very clear and something the government deserve credit for).

Stay alert? The virus isn't going to mug us or try to swindle OAPs over the phone.

The fact Downing Street have had to issue a further statement clarifying exactly what they mean says it all. It's so open to interpretation, and people will (if the behavioural changes I've noticed over the past few days are owt to go by) end up interpreting such a vague headline message in ways that will end up costing more lives.

You're having a fit of the vapours over a slogan? 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The limit contact is a bit confusing. To me that says I can go and briefly visit other people’s homes infrequently as long as I keep my distance and I’m pretty that’s not actually the case.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I mean, if that explanation makes things easier for you and means you don't have to respond to any of the points I've actally raised... then sure, let's just go with that. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

Or could be because of people like this 

Piers Morgan is the sensible voice of Britain now?How times have change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

The limit contact is a bit confusing. To me that says I can go and briefly visit other people’s homes infrequently as long as I keep my distance and I’m pretty that’s not actually the case.

How? Not every point on that picture is mutually exclusive

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

innit, wonder where everyone is. probably at home. glory hunting canal walkers, nothing worse. only come out when the weather's good. 

'Glory hunting canal walkers' might be the greatest piece of posturing in modern times. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I mean, if that explanation makes things easier for you and means you don't have to respond to any of the points I've actally raised... then sure, let's just go with that. :rolleyes:

What did you think it meant? Do you think the govt was instructing you to French kiss a pensioner? 

It's obvious that stay alert means be careful, which I'm sure didn't need telling anyway. 

Edited by Webbo
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh please. It's confusing because 'we want to find it confusing'! Get with the programme. 

For anyone actually mis-understanding why there's such a furore this morning, it's not the fact the message of Stay Alert is confusing. It's the fact why the slogan had to be changed in the first place. Why not just keep it as 'stay at home' and still only go out if you really have to (if that means going to a garden centre then so be it). I didn't think we're at that point anyway (going by the death numbers still being high (500-700 throughout most of last week?) to be changing the lockdown rules where people can venture out more frequently or for non-essential travel to an extent. 

Why cause the confusion in the first place? As @Voll Blau said, having to clarify your own statement means it wasn't clear at all so sorry, but pinning this one on the public 'wanting' to be confused is a cop-out and totally missing the point. All 5 points in that 'new Stay Alert' message is nothing new at all and what I'd say the majority of the public were actually doing anyway...

• Like 2

I assume this means that the restrictions are being eased from Stay at Home to Stay at Home as much as possible.

Can we have a few catchy, simply catch phases that covers that change.

I'm confused by people's confusing. Bottom line is those that want to take risks with theirs and others lives will do so whatever the catch phrase is and vice versa those that are at personal risk or are sensible about the level of relaxation will be careful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

What did you think it meant? Do you think the govt was instructing you to French kiss a pensioner? 

It's obvious that stay alert means be careful, which I'm sure didn't need telling anyway. 

Have you seen some of the scenes we've seen over the past few days. 

I'm not sure this message is going to be that obvious to those people.

Ask a hundred people what 'Stay Home' means, you'll get a unanimous answer. Ask them to interpret what 'Stay Alert' means and you could get a hundred different responses - no matter what caveats the government attach to that message.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Raj said:

I went for a run this morning and I'm slowly starting to get p!ssed off with ME having to move onto the toad for every fecking dog walker who just carry on walking. Yes I know you've got your dog but atleast say thank you to me for moving on to the road..cvnts

The old saying springs to mind that manners cost nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Oh please. It's confusing because 'we want to find it confusing'! Get with the programme. 

For anyone actually mis-understanding why there's such a furore this morning, it's not the fact the message of Stay Alert is confusing. It's the fact why the slogan had to be changed in the first place. Why not just keep it as 'stay at home' and still only go out if you really have to (if that means going to a garden centre then so be it). I didn't think we're at that point anyway (going by the death numbers still being high (500-700 throughout most of last week?) to be changing the lockdown rules where people can venture out more frequently or for non-essential travel to an extent. 

Why cause the confusion in the first place? As @Voll Blau said, having to clarify your own statement means it wasn't clear at all so sorry, but pinning this one on the public 'wanting' to be confused is a cop-out and totally missing the point. All 5 points in that 'new Stay Alert' message is nothing new at all and what I'd say the majority of the public were actually doing anyway...

You're right. This is where the need to leap to the defense of a political party becomes really important to some people; it's the protection of an identity. I don't paint myself with any political party colours, I think it's a bit of a daft hill to die on to be honest - things change, but some people feel so closely tied to a political allegiance that they'll defend what they perceive to be any criticism as it represents a criticism of their own self view.

The words 'if you can' and 'wherever possible' are the confusion causers, here. It's arbitrary and uncertain. Stay Home was definite and certain. It leaves too much to chance and the decision of the individual.

Stay Alert, itself as a slogan, is a bit bizarre too. This is a virus transmitted through close contact and the atmosphere. It's invisible and, to the naked eye, inactive. Staying Alert is more associated with prescient and tangible threats that can be outmanouvered or out-thought. It's an odd choice of words and the fact that all the other countries in the Union have steadfastly snubbed it should tell you what it needs to. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The old saying springs to mind that manners cost nothing.

I think the majority of people do nod or smile to each other when you have to cross the road or manouvure to let people pass...like you say manners cost nothing,even a nod will suffice

• Like 1

They are as basic instructions that the public can receive and certainly adhere to, if they have the basic common sense to understand it and follow it.

Edited by Wymsey

13 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

How? Not every point on that picture is mutually exclusive

......Not sure how that’s relevant. The only issue I have is what do they mean by limit exactly. Nothing to do with the points being mutually exclusive. 

Aside from that id agree it is clear enough a message. 

Maybe their issue is that they’ve drip fed the media that there will be a change this Sunday and now we’ve arrived here, the numbers in the days approaching aren’t supporting much of a relaxation. They should have the balls to just say this and that the data doesn’t support any relaxation at this stage other than outdoor sections of garden centres ......

instead they’ve just confused people ........ the expectation of a relaxation tomorrow is not tempered by that message .......people will go out ....