Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Guest Markyblue
4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I believe, although maybe wrong, that this has already passed the Phase 1 trial which assesses safety as they used the same vaccine previously on humans to treat a completely different disease. Phase 2 is the one which started on April 23rd and is essentially to see if the body creates neutralising antibodies and the results to that should be known by June. Those participants will also be part of the phase 3 trial where they'll see if its effective in up to 5000 people. Half are randomly given the vaccine and the other half a placebo vaccine and they'll know if it's effective if only the placebo's become ill. Hence if it's highly prevalent then they'll know by August/September time if it works and then the vaccine can be given emergency authorisation. They're now recruiting for that trial https://www.covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/home

What's also interesting from the monkey paper is that the vaccinated monkeys get infected in the upper respiratory tract but not the lower, meaning this vaccine doesn't stop you getting infected, it just means that you'll only get symptoms in the nose/throat and not in the lungs which is ultimately what is killing people (this is also how the flu jab works). 

I assume that if the vaccine stops the lung infection but not the nose/throat area once you have got through this then your immunity would in theory kick in.

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

`My thinking is that there's been two reasons to furlough staff, the firms who have employees that can work from home which means they have work, but the firm has considered it unsafe to be at work, or the firm that hasn't got any work because of the consequences of the virus both up and down the supply chain. So how do those firms that have furloughed employees that consider it unsafe to be at work, and therefore set a precedent, get their employees back to work until a vaccine is found, it's not going to be suddenly safe to return to work, the distancing rule becomes practically impossible, as mentioned here with teachers unwilling to return to classrooms because of the practicalities of keeping kids apart. So those firms can never return to work until we have a vaccine which, once formulated, may take an age to implement. I know it's a bit of a catch 22 but i think that furloughing staff off is going to have huge repercussions later on in the year and for years to come.

Something the Swedish chap in the video shared on here a month or so ago alluded to. We've set a precedent now and without the majority support of the media and public, it's going to be very hard to try and almost go against the advice they were giving.

There seems to be more stories and reports about the impact on people lives outside of the virus appearing. I think when the majority of the public grasps that the economy isn't fat bankers lighting cigars with £50 notes, but our whole way of life, we will start seeing the majority opinion shift to "let's get things going again". 

One thing that comes out of this for me is that I hope there's a shift in perception on climate change and we start seeing the world take a more proactive approach to preventing any major damage in the future. Something like this shows that if you ignore a problem, it can keep growing and cause devastation.

Really torn about the return to schools thing.  My daughter is in reception class, so would be amongst the first to go back.  I'm not especially worried about her health, more the possible wider impact of increased community transmission. Imagine if one of the teachers died as a result?

At the same time, I don't think being stuck at home with two parents working almost full-time and little other social contact is doing her much good either.

Part of me thinks, sod it, might as well get it over with because I can't see there won't be some Coronavirus risk out there for months or even years and it's going to be impossible to avoid completely

24 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Just applied for my self employed grant. A little bit more than I thought. Every little helps.

Did mine yesterday.

Was a simple process, now awaiting the payment for the three months.

Money will cover bills which is a blessing.

Saving money on fuel, gym membership, Sky Sports, not booking multiple holidays helps with outgoings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

At secondary school we used to have to run around Victoria park the last one back got a thick slipper sole across the arse. The 1st few weeks I was ok coming in 2nd last, hated long distant running, then out of the blue he changed the rules last one back except the very fat kid who'd been last. Hated PE, we had that run and then Rugby and always shoved in as the hooker, no football was allowed.

you'd have fitted in well :P

old wyg ??

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

`My thinking is that there's been two reasons to furlough staff, the firms who have employees that can work from home which means they have work, but the firm has considered it unsafe to be at work, or the firm that hasn't got any work because of the consequences of the virus both up and down the supply chain. So how do those firms that have furloughed employees that consider it unsafe to be at work, and therefore set a precedent, get their employees back to work until a vaccine is found, it's not going to be suddenly safe to return to work, the distancing rule becomes practically impossible, as mentioned here with teachers unwilling to return to classrooms because of the practicalities of keeping kids apart. So those firms can never return to work until we have a vaccine which, once formulated, may take an age to implement. I know it's a bit of a catch 22 but i think that furloughing staff off is going to have huge repercussions later on in the year and for years to come.

not quite getting this ?  

If the company has a commercially viable level of work and employees can WFH then those employees wouldn’t be furloughed. 

if the company cannot safely work at its usual base then it may have furloughed its workforce.  The rule has always been that if the workplace and access to it can be safely managed then it’s ok to go to work.  I believe a lot of companies decided to close in any case and now they’re being encouraged to re open. 

teachers clearly have an issue with younger kids ..... wearing masks would be a start but we still seem to disagree with the rest of the world on this ......

So my old man had a Coronavirus yesterday, he had it cos he has to go for a check next week about suspect signs relating to his (In remission) Bowel Cancer.

Apparently he will go to the Spire for his test next week - is that a BUPA hospital?

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

So my old man had a Coronavirus yesterday, he had it cos he has to go for a check next week about suspect signs relating to his (In remission) Bowel Cancer.

Apparently he will go to the Spire for his test next week - is that a BUPA hospital?

No Spire is the provider.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

I assume that if the vaccine stops the lung infection but not the nose/throat area once you have got through this then your immunity would in theory kick in.

It's not going to kill you in your nose and throat and will be the same as any other cold. As long as it doesn't get into your lungs and cause inflammation in the air sacs. God knows how a vaccine can prevent a virus going further down your respiratory system though, it's a medical marvel when you think about it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

old wyg ??

not quite getting this ?  

If the company has a commercially viable level of work and employees can WFH then those employees wouldn’t be furloughed. 

if the company cannot safely work at its usual base then it may have furloughed its workforce.  The rule has always been that if the workplace and access to it can be safely managed then it’s ok to go to work.  I believe a lot of companies decided to close in any case and now they’re being encouraged to re open. 

teachers clearly have an issue with younger kids ..... wearing masks would be a start but we still seem to disagree with the rest of the world on this ......

Shouldn't be furloughed..., but i know of several companies  who have full order books and yet they have furloughed their employees. Only reason i can see is they have used the furlough scheme to pay their workers knowing full well that they will still have full order books when they go back. Personally i think there should be a full inquiry after all this is done to determine if companies have been responsible towards the taxpayer.

Edited by yorkie1999

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Shouldn't be furloughed..., but i know of several companies  who have full order books and yet they have furloughed their employees. Only reason i can see is they have used the furlough scheme to pay their workers knowing full well that they will still have full order books when they go back. Personally i think there should be a full inquiry after all this is done to determine if companies have been responsible towards the taxpayer.

Agree 100% but HMRC don’t have the resources ......

Just now, st albans fox said:

Agree 100% but HMRC don’t have the resources ......

I was talking to a mate this morning who's brothers a builder, i don't know the ins and outs of how he gets paid but he's self employed but the firms he works for sort out his taxes etc. He's furloughed and started getting money from the scheme but he's trying to get some work, getting offers of 80 quid a day instead of 200 quid a day, but the government are giving him 120 quid a day, He's not going back until he makes more money for working than sitting on his arse all day, why should he. There must be 10's of thousands in the same situation, how's that going to end? It's all bonkers. 

36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

old wyg ??

Nah  Lancaster Boys, then known as the Prep School for Borstal.

It was a terrible place until we moved to a new building in Knighton Lane East behind Jonathan North Girls School.

21 minutes ago, Lionator said:

A point on reporting too. There was a huge hoo-ha about the r0 in Germany rising last week to above 1. Well the latest estimate is 0.75 so it's decreasing even after opening up. 

Don't they claim theres a two week lag on the impact at the least anyway?

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

"new normal"

"game-changing"

"unprecedented times"

Phrases I hope never to hear again. 

Indeed.

If I had a pound for every email I’ve had over the last 2 months that starts “How are you doing in these unprecedented/challenging/difficult times...?

51 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I was talking to a mate this morning who's brothers a builder, i don't know the ins and outs of how he gets paid but he's self employed but the firms he works for sort out his taxes etc. He's furloughed and started getting money from the scheme but he's trying to get some work, getting offers of 80 quid a day instead of 200 quid a day, but the government are giving him 120 quid a day, He's not going back until he makes more money for working than sitting on his arse all day, why should he. There must be 10's of thousands in the same situation, how's that going to end? It's all bonkers. 

Its kind of taboo to talk about but there are those out there exploiting the system to various degrees.

In the same breath though, I cant really blame people too much as the money gained now could be critical in the future if work dries up.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

A point on reporting too. There was a huge hoo-ha about the r0 in Germany rising last week to above 1. Well the latest estimate is 0.75 so it's decreasing even after opening up. 

I thought (I'm no expert,) that it can take 10 days to show syptoms in new cases so we won't see how it's effected Germany till the end of next week and beyond.

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Don't they claim theres a two week lag on the impact at the least anyway?

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

I thought (I'm no expert,) that it can take 10 days to show syptoms in new cases so we won't see how it's effected Germany till the end of next week and beyond.

Robert Koch Institute says: 

"The previously reported sensitive R-value can be estimated by using a moving 4-day average of the number of new cases estimated by nowcasting. It then compares the 4-day average value of the new cases on one day with the corresponding average value four days before. Because the new cases were infected 4 to 6 days before onset of illness, this means that they ocurred 8 to 13 days ago. The previous R-value, which is reported today, thus, maps the infection events occurring approximately one to two weeks ago. The current estimate is R= 0.75 (95% prediction interval: 0.61 – 0,88) and is based on electronically notified cases as of 14/05/2020."

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/2020-05-14-en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1