Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Good luck getting strict when half of the kids parents as so hyper sensitive they'll be at the governors because their kid feels like they shouldn't be managed. 

Strictness ended a long time ago. 

Surely this is the ideal time to change that round so the teachers have control. If they all stick together and say we’ll go back if we are allowed to impose our discipline on the kids or we’re not going back because it’s not safe to do so. Headmasters deputies and year heads won’t be able to hide away from the problem if they’re confronted by a collective ultimatum at this present time because of the pressure to get kids back to class.

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Some really good news today. Oxford has produced a paper confirming that their covid-19 vaccine is effective in rhesus macaque monkeys. They're the closest related monkey to humans and all other adenovirus vaccines created which have worked in monkeys have gone on to work in humans so fingers crossed!!  

Source? Can't find anything on Google.

13 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-found-protective-in-small-study-on-monkeys-a4441116.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1589486530 just had a search and found this. Still early days, but a step in the right direction. Feeling rather conflicted about being upbeat about a study involving testing on animals, but I guess sometimes you do have to see a bigger picture. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

This is the paper. Getting these updates sent as phone notifications like a saddo.  The MSM haven’t picked up on it yet because they’ve completely got their priorities wrong. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.093195v1?fbclid=IwAR1Xb79A0cGjORE2nwKTEvBb7y4-NBuD5oRf2wKWZfAhoCJ8_T73QSQfskw

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Bit of an expose on Movianto's short failings to distribute PPE. 

Of course this is being roundly denied by the government. 

They claim the army weren't brought in due to any shortcoming on their part.

So either they're wrong or the army were brought in as it looked good in the media.

Ask , heHancock should know, he was there.

Rather than at his desk actually doing something worthwhile.

Guest Fktf
2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Some really good news today. Oxford has produced a paper confirming that their covid-19 vaccine is effective in rhesus macaque monkeys. They're the closest related monkey to humans and all other adenovirus vaccines created which have worked in monkeys have gone on to work in humans so fingers crossed!!  

Irrelevant question regarding the suitability of the vaccine, but how is this measured? The anthropologists/comparative psychologists I've worked with always went on about bonobos being out closest match. 

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

So if nothing else the macaques are going to be ok 

8 hours ago, Nalis said:

My sister is the worst, 3 kids are all lovely but she slates teachers all the time, picking on shorter working days and long holidays but forgetting long hours in marking / prep. Also blames teachers when the kids arent doing so well at school rather than looking at how she can help.

Well, I do hope she's having a lovely lockdown time educating her kids, then. :thumbup:

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Well, I do hope she's having a lovely lockdown time educating her kids, then. :thumbup:

Hopefully it will educate her a bit and change her opinion on teaching / schools.

8 hours ago, Fktf said:

Irrelevant question regarding the suitability of the vaccine, but how is this measured? The anthropologists/comparative psychologists I've worked with always went on about bonobos being out closest match. 

There’s ACE2 receptors, which allow the virus to pass into cells to infect and are common in the lungs. These ACE2 receptors are exactly the same as humans in this particular monkey. 

• Like 4

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Not for long if you’ve been looking at public transport last couple days ........

True but the early transmission in London must have been enormous before the lockdown,  the figures for how many have had it in London will be very interesting. 

16 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

This is getting absolutely ****ing ridiculous now. NHS covid frontline staff should get same levels of psychiatric support as soldiers returning from war?? 

Yeah its been horrid but come on.

I know what you’re saying and at times it does feel like we are mollycoddling ourselves, but post traumatic stress is horrible and the support should there for those that need it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

This is getting absolutely ****ing ridiculous now. NHS covid frontline staff should get same levels of psychiatric support as soldiers returning from war?? 

Yeah its been horrid but come on.

Sister in law worked in palliative care, left for a different area and has now been put back there, temporarily at least and that sounds fvvkin awful.

I know what you mean though, proportionately is key.

15 hours ago, stix said:

But knowing somebody on furlough has had it won’t change the fact that they’re furloughed. That’s the point I was making. 

Im interested in your thinking behind this though? 

`My thinking is that there's been two reasons to furlough staff, the firms who have employees that can work from home which means they have work, but the firm has considered it unsafe to be at work, or the firm that hasn't got any work because of the consequences of the virus both up and down the supply chain. So how do those firms that have furloughed employees that consider it unsafe to be at work, and therefore set a precedent, get their employees back to work until a vaccine is found, it's not going to be suddenly safe to return to work, the distancing rule becomes practically impossible, as mentioned here with teachers unwilling to return to classrooms because of the practicalities of keeping kids apart. So those firms can never return to work until we have a vaccine which, once formulated, may take an age to implement. I know it's a bit of a catch 22 but i think that furloughing staff off is going to have huge repercussions later on in the year and for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Yeah, ridiculous isn't it. Kids get rewarded for shit like "effort". 

None of that in my class. When I give them a maths test, I line them all up in order of score, and then give the bottom 20% a good kicking.

At secondary school we used to have to run around Victoria park the last one back got a thick slipper sole across the arse. The 1st few weeks I was ok coming in 2nd last, hated long distant running, then out of the blue he changed the rules last one back except the very fat kid who'd been last. Hated PE, we had that run and then Rugby and always shoved in as the hooker, no football was allowed.

you'd have fitted in well :P

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lionator said:

Some great news so far, but I do hope the media explain that many trials fail in stages 1 and 2 of human trials, to not produce a massive upset if this vaccine fails. 

But it is incredibly promising

5 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Transmission is down to 0.4 in london and 0.68 in the Midlands.  

This is the most important 'information ' published recently. Its by Public Health England and Cambridge ie not some rentaquote 'scientist' on Sky. The government and its advisors would have known this prior to making their reduced lockdown announcement at the weekend.

And the impact of the reduced lockdown would have been modelled in to see its effect on the R number.

Behind this data is the obvious assumption that there is now at least partial herd immunity (maybe 40% in london) having a significant effect on transmission. add some social distancing to that and you get the low R figure.

The most remarkable 'fact' (a estimate really) is that the infection rate in London has now dropped from over 200.000 per day to 24.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, davieG said:

At secondary school we used to have to run around Victoria park the last one back got a thick slipper sole across the arse. The 1st few weeks I was ok coming in 2nd last, hated long distant running, then out of the blue he changed the rules last one back except the very fat kid who'd been last. Hated PE, we had that run and then Rugby and always shoved in as the hooker, no football was allowed.

you'd have fitted in well :P

:blink:

Don't let @Dr The Singh read all that. He's a sensitive young man and might take it the wrong way.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Some great news so far, but I do hope the media explain that many trials fail in stages 1 and 2 of human trials, to not produce a massive upset if this vaccine fails. 

But it is incredibly promising

I believe, although maybe wrong, that this has already passed the Phase 1 trial which assesses safety as they used the same vaccine previously on humans to treat a completely different disease. Phase 2 is the one which started on April 23rd and is essentially to see if the body creates neutralising antibodies and the results to that should be known by June. Those participants will also be part of the phase 3 trial where they'll see if its effective in up to 5000 people. Half are randomly given the vaccine and the other half a placebo vaccine and they'll know if it's effective if only the placebo's become ill. Hence if it's highly prevalent then they'll know by August/September time if it works and then the vaccine can be given emergency authorisation. They're now recruiting for that trial https://www.covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/home

What's also interesting from the monkey paper is that the vaccinated monkeys get infected in the upper respiratory tract but not the lower, meaning this vaccine doesn't stop you getting infected, it just means that you'll only get symptoms in the nose/throat and not in the lungs which is ultimately what is killing people (this is also how the flu jab works). 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2