Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

7 minutes ago, worthosoriginals said:

Well rumble, according to the anti vax movement. 

Bill Gates chased a bat up a 5g mast above a fruit market he ate the bat but spilt some of its blood onto some fruit Market apples down below, a Chinese bloke ate one of the apples, he caught a nasty cold infection that everybody in the world will get, so that the government and the rich 1% can control everybody. 

Oh and most shops are shut. 

Cheers, is that a direct quote from WHO? X 

4 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

Gets to a point where you need to start giving some power back to people to make correct decisions.

E.g. if I've been isolating in a house on my own for two weeks I should be able to meet someone who has been doing the same. We're not a risk to each other or others from doing that. 

If two households have truly been isolating without any contact outside of each house then I agree that there is no danger mixing those two houses at that point in time.   Apart from those shielding vulnerable people, how many households can say that ????

Edited by st albans fox

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

Was tested at Birstall this morning after having felt rough on Sunday and Monday, booked it last night and straight in today. I must say for all of the criticism's I and many others have given, it's an incredibly slick operation there. Having it stuck up your nose bloody hurts though. 

Seeing stuff like this is reassuring against the threat of a second wave. We're so much more prepared than last time around that surely have now seen the worst of this.

Like this

On 18/05/2020 at 20:57, Wymsey said:

Had a patient on my ward who had previously been tested for this virus twice in the past ten days - both were negative, despite the nurses being adamant that he's got it.

He had a third one and the results today showed that he was indeed positive..

Perhaps the testing for this isn't entirely accurate for all? :dunno:

I know someone who has been admitted to hospital, the daughter told me the first test came back negative, because her symptoms were so severe they tested again and it came back positive. They were told there’s only a 60 odd % accuracy with the tests.

As for having a swab shoved up my nose, no ****ing way, I’d have to be ****ing ill to have that thing rammed up my ample beak. They need to stick these videos on every news channel. If that ain’t going to make you stick to the social distance rules then your a masochist.

1 hour ago, worthosoriginals said:

No it's all factual from the great David icke himself, you know, that ex  goalie that knows about lizards and the truth. 

He's a Leicester lad and a city fan, he can't be all bad.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He's a Leicester lad and a city fan, he can't be all bad.

Forget the conspiracy theories and the reptillians, he played for Cov didn't he?

Bin.

Edited by murphy

1 minute ago, murphy said:

Forget the conspiracy theories and the reptillians, he played for Cov didn't he?

Bin.

I beginning to suspect you're a lizard from outer space.

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

BBC News - Cambridge University: All lectures to be online-only until summer of 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52732814

Cambridge having turned all lectures online for the next year; assume most others will now start to follow suit.

If you're thinking of going university next year, don't bother. £9000 a year to sit at home and look at the internet. What a rip off. Go and earn a bit of money towards the following year's fees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

If you're thinking of going university next year, don't bother. £9000 a year to sit at home and look at the internet. What a rip off. Go and earn a bit of money towards the following year's fees.

(I've graduated and got my degree already)

But i agree, feel for anyone starting as they'd miss out on so much learning and fun stuff first year involves 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

(I've graduated and got my degree already, just too lazy to change my handle)

But i agree, feel for anyone starting as they'd miss out on so much learning and fun stuff first year involves 

It wasn't actually directed at you, just a general comment. 

If they're going down that road they ought to slash the fees.

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It wasn't actually directed at you, just a general comment. 

If they're going down that road they ought to slash the fees.

Agree, £9000 a year to be taught through online sessions is a rip off. Especially if they're removing practical aspects too. 

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

BBC News - Cambridge University: All lectures to be online-only until summer of 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52732814

Cambridge having turned all lectures online for the next year; assume most others will now start to follow suit.

As I am guessing you have seen from emails flying about, a lot of unis have been working together on this, so yes others will follow suit.

Important to remember though that teaching is more than just lectures, and my understanding is that unis are still intending to run in person small group teaching - I am guessing that message will get lost in the headlines though! 

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm half way through a ten grand masters and I couldn't be more annoyed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

As I am guessing you have seen from emails flying about, a lot of unis have been working together on this, so yes others will follow suit.

Important to remember though that teaching is more than just lectures, and my understanding is that unis are still intending to run in person small group teaching - I am guessing that message will get lost in the headlines though! 

Fully expected lectures etc to be moved online and much of the other teaching to follow suit, especially for first term.

Really interested to see how small group teaching will work; especially from a practical sense of things.

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

As someone who runs a fully online module I am trying not to be offended! You can offer some great teaching online if it's done properly (look at Open Uni, they have been doing it for years).

Anyhow, it looks like the intention is still for students to go to uni, they just won't be able to attend larger lectures where it is impossible to social distance. They will however be able to attend smaller teaching sessions. It's the halls of residence and how that will work that I can't get my head round.   

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

As someone who runs a fully online module I am trying not to be offended! You can offer some great teaching online if it's done properly (look at Open Uni, they have been doing it for years).

Anyhow, it looks like the intention is still for students to go to uni, they just won't be able to attend larger lectures where it is impossible to social distance. They will however be able to attend smaller teaching sessions. It's the halls of residence and how that will work that I can't get my head round.   

How much does the OU charge? Genuine question, I don't know.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Fully expected lectures etc to be moved online and much of the other teaching to follow suit, especially for first term.

Really interested to see how small group teaching will work; especially from a practical sense of things.

It should be fine. They will free up larger rooms as lectures won't be happening, and so instead seminars will move into larger teaching spaces with people spread out across the room. 

Just now, rachhere said:

It should be fine. They will free up larger rooms as lectures won't be happening, and so instead seminars will move into larger teaching spaces with people spread out across the room. 

True, will still allow students to gain access to physical teaching rather than purely online based. 

From what I've been told, practicals such as labs are being assessed to see if students will carry out the practical or whether they'll be replaced with online resources or videos showing technicians performing the practical 

Just now, Webbo said:

How much does the OU charge? Genuine question, I don't know.

I believer it is cheaper, but they benefit from economies of scale. Our online teaching is actually more expensive to run than if we did it in person, believe it or not. I can understand why people think that unis can cut costs that way, but not always the case, unless you are running a course with hundreds of students. I honestly think our online students get a better deal - the material is there for them to access it whenever is convenient. We have discussion boards where questions can be posed on the material which we are always responding to - i have far more interaction with students that way than if I had delivered a lecture in person, and maybe had a couple of questions at the end.