Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

True, will still allow students to gain access to physical teaching rather than purely online based. 

From what I've been told, practicals such as labs are being assessed to see if students will carry out the practical or whether they'll be replaced with online resources or videos showing technicians performing the practical 

Yeah OU do some amazing virtual practicals from what I have heard. i just don't see how we could develop anything comparable in that time. I am sure that there will still be practical work in person though - e.g. medics who will need to meet certain competencies, but they can't afford to delay them starting otherwise we will have a skills shortage. The nightmare in my department is around teacher training placements and how that will happen. Such a logistical nightmare.

I do completely agree on the social element - social distanced freshers sounds terrible. But then what are those young people going to do with themselves for the next year - it will be so hard to get a job, you can't travel anywhere... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Yeah OU do some amazing virtual practicals from what I have heard. i just don't see how we could develop anything comparable in that time. I am sure that there will still be practical work in person though - e.g. medics who will need to meet certain competencies, but they can't afford to delay them starting otherwise we will have a skills shortage. The nightmare in my department is around teacher training placements and how that will happen. Such a logistical nightmare.

I do completely agree on the social element - social distanced freshers sounds terrible. But then what are those young people going to do with themselves for the next year - it will be so hard to get a job, you can't travel anywhere... 

I think it'll end up at technicians like me doing a practical on video or completing 3/4 of it before students come in to finish the last section. 

I worry as my department is a chaotic at the best of times and a complete change of the norm could show up a few of issues that appear to have been neglected for a while.  I can only imagine the nightmare of finding placements at this time, i don't envy you there. 

Looking back at my own freshers, social distancing would make everything a lot less enjoyable. They're in a tough place, either go to uni and miss out on a year of enjoyment or wait a year and find yourself trying to fill that gap and potential increased competition for uni places the next year. 

12 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I think it'll end up at technicians like me doing a practical on video or completing 3/4 of it before students come in to finish the last section. 

I worry as my department is a chaotic at the best of times and a complete change of the norm could show up a few of issues that appear to have been neglected for a while.  I can only imagine the nightmare of finding placements at this time, i don't envy you there. 

Looking back at my own freshers, social distancing would make everything a lot less enjoyable. They're in a tough place, either go to uni and miss out on a year of enjoyment or wait a year and find yourself trying to fill that gap and potential increased competition for uni places the next year. 

There is going to be a lot of good will in terms of extra hours in making all of this work. Which is why it will be so frustrating that the message in the media will be that students are being short changed. It’s an impossible situation and we are just muddling through best we can. I worked every day of that supposed week off over Easter, and I know senior managers are working all hours coming up with alternative delivery plans for both this academic year and next. 

hopefully they will come up with some really innovative stuff in terms of practicals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I know someone who has been admitted to hospital, the daughter told me the first test came back negative, because her symptoms were so severe they tested again and it came back positive. They were told there’s only a 60 odd % accuracy with the tests.

As for having a swab shoved up my nose, no ****ing way, I’d have to be ****ing ill to have that thing rammed up my ample beak. They need to stick these videos on every news channel. If that ain’t going to make you stick to the social distance rules then your a masochist.

Thank **** you are not female :P

Oh wait wrong forum lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Anyone seen Boris?

Asking for a nation in dire need of some proper leadership.

Apparently Johnson and Gove have gone to Germany to learn how they should have handled the crisis.

8 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Anyone seen Boris?

Asking for a nation in dire need of some proper leadership.

Unfortunately, he only offers waffle, bluster, and slogans.

8 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I genuinely don’t think he’s fully recovered yet.

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Unfortunately, he only offers waffle, bluster, and slogans.

I have told you on many occasions that boris likes to delegate ......he communicates well (when detail isn’t required) but he doesn’t like to get his hands too dirty.   His absence may well be due to medical reasons at the moment ...... suppose we will see if he becomes more visible next few weeks.  It could just be that he doesn’t want to front up each day to questions that he is unprepared for and may well screw up answering! 

9 hours ago, rachhere said:

As someone who runs a fully online module I am trying not to be offended! You can offer some great teaching online if it's done properly (look at Open Uni, they have been doing it for years).

Anyhow, it looks like the intention is still for students to go to uni, they just won't be able to attend larger lectures where it is impossible to social distance. They will however be able to attend smaller teaching sessions. It's the halls of residence and how that will work that I can't get my head round.   

I've been topping up my nursing diploma to a bsc online with Derby Uni. They've been brilliant through this, even gave me a 2 month extension so I could work extra during the March April surge.

• Like 1

What a weird set of requests on here? You want the PM to front up all the time despite not being the most qualified in the cabinet to do so, bit of an odd take on the situation isn't it?

Its like those saying he should have been at the COBR meetings about the pandemic, ffs lol

I agree it would be good for country as a whole if the PM was a bit more visible, but perhaps he is still unwell (they are not going to advertise that!)  :dunno:

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

I've been topping up my nursing diploma to a bsc online with Derby Uni. They've been brilliant through this, even gave me a 2 month extension so I could work extra during the March April surge.

And rightly so! We changed our assessment processes massively to take account of the extra pressures that folk are working under at the moment, and all the plans for next year are around building in as much flexibility as possible. The irony is that some of the changes that were applied would normally take a year to get approved in our bureaucratic systems, so hopefully this will set a precedent for the future!

48 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I have told you on many occasions that boris likes to delegate ......he communicates well (when detail isn’t required) but he doesn’t like to get his hands too dirty.   His absence may well be due to medical reasons at the moment ...... suppose we will see if he becomes more visible next few weeks.  It could just be that he doesn’t want to front up each day to questions that he is unprepared for and may well screw up answering! 

Bit weird for a leader of a country to shy away from it though, no? 

It's one of the things most people would expect from a leader/PM. Show some bollocks, get things right based on advice and recommendations. Don't be fvcking scared to answer questions. Tackle situations and confront them by being prepared as best as possible. 

Don't hide away.

In his defence, IF he is ill and unfit for work then that's fine, I won't hold anything against him. But just say that or have something said? Why keep it secret? Everyone knows he had COVID but he appeared to recover given he was able to make some defining statement a few Sundays ago. But if he's taken a turn for the worse again, say that. What's the harm? 

Just be honest with the public. I said a few weeks ago about the honesty thing - he and the government would have far more respect I think if they were. 

I honestly can't believe the reason given to almost excuse him of going missing (if not ill). As if being unprepared, as the PM, is fine. 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
23 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Bit weird for a leader of a country to shy away from it though, no? 

It's one of the things most people would expect from a leader/PM. Show some bollocks, get things right based on advice and recommendations. Don't be fvcking scared to answer questions. Tackle situations and confront them by being prepared as best as possible. 

Don't hide away.

In his defence, IF he is ill and unfit for work then that's fine, I won't hold anything against him. But just say that or have something said? Why keep it secret? Everyone knows he had COVID but he appeared to recover given he was able to make some defining statement a few Sundays ago. But if he's taken a turn for the worse again, say that. What's the harm? 

Just be honest with the public. I said a few weeks ago about the honesty thing - he and the government would have far more respect I think if they were. 

I honestly can't believe the reason given to almost excuse him of going missing (if not ill). As if being unprepared, as the PM, is fine. 

Absolutely convinced he isn't fully recovered,  just doesn't look right. 

18 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Brazil are in big trouble aren't they? 

16'000 new cases yesterday alone, only managing around 3000 tests per million people with a population over 200 million. 

I think I’m right in saying that their nutter of a leader was in denial for quite sometime whilst everyone else was shutting up shop. Sadly I think they’ll be one of the worse effected. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

I think I’m right in saying that their nutter of a leader was in denial for quite sometime whilst everyone else was shutting up shop. Sadly I think they’ll be one of the worse effected. 

Bolsonaro is still in denial.

18 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

I thought for a minute you were referring to Trump...