Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

Bit weird for a leader of a country to shy away from it though, no? 

It's one of the things most people would expect from a leader/PM. Show some bollocks, get things right based on advice and recommendations. Don't be fvcking scared to answer questions. Tackle situations and confront them by being prepared as best as possible. 

Don't hide away.

In his defence, IF he is ill and unfit for work then that's fine, I won't hold anything against him. But just say that or have something said? Why keep it secret? Everyone knows he had COVID but he appeared to recover given he was able to make some defining statement a few Sundays ago. But if he's taken a turn for the worse again, say that. What's the harm? 

Just be honest with the public. I said a few weeks ago about the honesty thing - he and the government would have far more respect I think if they were. 

I honestly can't believe the reason given to almost excuse him of going missing (if not ill). As if being unprepared, as the PM, is fine. 

not defending BJ - just telling you what I know of his character via someone who worked with at city hall

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I understand why younger pupils would be kept away but why aren't older pupils returning to school? 

the older you are the more likely you transmit  ?  older kids = much larger class sizes making it difficult to split.  Theoretically, older kids should be able to have work set for them online and to undertake it ...... and most importantly, younger kids a home are more likely to prevent their parents from working than secondary school pupils .....

18 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I understand why younger pupils would be kept away but why aren't older pupils returning to school? 

Is there a directive in Leicester as to who should go back and when? Down here it is years 1, 2 and 6 that return 1st June, and at my sons school it is only for 2 days a week

Edited by Dahnsouff

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Is there a directive in Leicester as to who should go back and when? Down here it is years 1, 2 and 6 that return 1st June, and at my sons school it is only for 2 days a week

Think it was those years for the country. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

not defending BJ - just telling you what I know of his character via someone who worked with at city hall

the older you are the more likely you transmit  ?  older kids = much larger class sizes making it difficult to split.  Theoretically, older kids should be able to have work set for them online and to undertake it ...... and most importantly, younger kids a home are more likely to prevent their parents from working than secondary school pupils .....

I was thinking more about older kids being more responsible and observant when it comes to keeping a distance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

No new cases in 24 hours in London and the South East.

Which is not surprising because of the consequence of everyone being in lock down, eventually the virus will have no where left to go. I'd be interested to know how long it can last in someones body once their immune system kicks in and defeats it,

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

No new cases in 24 hours in London and the South East.

I imagine it'll be a lag or something like that, but still extremely encouraging how it's receded down south. 

• Like 1

Just drove through Blackpool and the promenade was busy, well busy compared to what we've got used to, I suppose it's still nothing compared to normal but I don't think we realise how many people go to the seaside usually. Pubs and all attractions shut so wouldn't want to know where people are going for a piss. 

Probably more here than normal on a weekday in May with people off work and no schools. Not much home schooling going on in Lancashire today lol

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

I've just seen a discussion on a paper written by a Dr Oh from the Korean Centre for Disease Control, which is very encouraging if verified by other researchers.  I'm not providing a link as the paper is in the Korean language, but I believe the following to be the conclusions:

1.  The South Koreans reported some time ago that a number of people appeared to be re-infected with Covid-19 having previously recovered.  This is now not thought to be correct.

2.  The study found that after the virus had been killed by the body's immune system, dead Covid-19 virus was still present in the body for some months.

3.  The test for Covid-19 was not specifically identifying only live virus, therefore the study concluded that the 're-infections' were finding dead virus on test..

4.  The 239 people who had appeared to have been re-infected had been studied and none of them were found to have passed the virus on to another person, giving credence to the probability that the tests had identified dead virus.

If this is correct then we can be confident that a person recovering from Covid-19 will not be subject to re-infection in the short term, for as long as they have antibodies.

I'm seeing more and more reports based on your last point that the main cause of spread is actually super spreading events and not close contact. How else could it explain the 140 people getting infected by 1 person in Seoul but then that outbreak dying out within a week? 

The idea being that if the circumstances are right (poor ventilation, lots of close contact, deep breathing) then the potential for spread is immeasurably large. On the other hand, you're very unlikely to catch this outdoors unless you have very close contact with other people for a prolonged amount of time, unless of course you touch an infected surface then your face. I'd love to see studies which attempt to measure this type of thing however I would imagine it's logistically impossible.

Edited by Lionator

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

I'm seeing more and more reports based on your last point that the main cause of spread is actually super spreading events and not close contact. How else could it explain the 140 people getting infected by 1 person in Seoul but then that outbreak dying out within a week? 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/why-do-some-covid-19-patients-infect-many-others-whereas-most-don-t-spread-virus-all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

nobody there is doing anything wrong, what are people complaining about 

Its so people like our Stan will share and get them clicks and retweets. Fuel a bit more pointless outrage :D

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

nobody there is doing anything wrong, what are people complaining about 

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Its so people like our Stan will share and get them clicks and retweets. Fuel a bit more pointless outrage :D

Nah for me it displays the weakness in the message of 'stay alert, stay at home as much as possible...' but at the same time, open up parks and beaches etc :)

Not any outrage my end, not to that extent anyway. Frustration, yes. It is as if coronavirus didn't/doesn't exist when you see stuff like that though, even if it is not wrong to go there. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Anyone seen Boris?

Asking for a nation in dire need of some proper leadership.

19 hours ago, joachim1965 said:

Where is he ?

13 hours ago, chinna said:

Apparently Johnson and Gove have gone to Germany to learn how they should have handled the crisis.

11 hours ago, Stan said:

Unfortunately, he only offers waffle, bluster, and slogans.

I thought criticism of politicians was a banned subject on this thread?

"No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc"

Message added by Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Webbo said:

He's a Leicester lad and a city fan, he can't be all bad.

If you read the football chat on this forum after losing a game and sometimes even after a win, you'd know that's not entirely true.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

I think I’m right in saying that their nutter of a leader was in denial for quite sometime whilst everyone else was shutting up shop. Sadly I think they’ll be one of the worse effected. 

8 hours ago, Stan said:

Bolsonaro is still in denial.

8 hours ago, oxford blue said:

I thought for a minute you were referring to Trump...

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

He and Jair are cut from the same cloth.

Who would of guessed that it’s the populist leaders who have handled this crisis badly.

Of course I’m not including Boris here.:whistle:

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Maybe there's a point to be made and I'd agree that photo shows ridiculous amounts of (ignorant) people, but Piers Morgan? He exists entirely on being sensationalist. His whole career is based on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

I've just seen a discussion on a paper written by a Dr Oh from the Korean Centre for Disease Control, which is very encouraging if verified by other researchers.  I'm not providing a link as the paper is in the Korean language, but I believe the following to be the conclusions:

1.  The South Koreans reported some time ago that a number of people appeared to be re-infected with Covid-19 having previously recovered.  This is now not thought to be correct.

2.  The study found that after the virus had been killed by the body's immune system, dead Covid-19 virus was still present in the body for some months.

3.  The test for Covid-19 was not specifically identifying only live virus, therefore the study concluded that the 're-infections' were finding dead virus on test..

4.  The 239 people who had appeared to have been re-infected had been studied and none of them were found to have passed the virus on to another person, giving credence to the probability that the tests had identified dead virus.

If this is correct then we can be confident that a person recovering from Covid-19 will not be subject to re-infection in the short term, for as long as they have antibodies.

I don’t read it like that 

I read it that the dead virus, whilst able to give a positive result, is not cause for the patient to be infectious as the virus is dead. But it doesn’t say what happens it the patient is exposed to live virus again. That remains the crucial question .... assuming that they’re immune in the sort term whilst they retain antibodies, are they infectious as they fight of the virus ???

32 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Maybe there's a point to be made and I'd agree that photo shows ridiculous amounts of (ignorant) people, but Piers Morgan? He exists entirely on being sensationalist. His whole career is based on that.

The vast majority could still be social distancing, photos like this can be very deceptive. You can look over and area and think wow it must be a wood or forest then when you actually get there is just a load of very well spaced trees with houses and shops etc in between.

• Like 1