Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

10 hours ago, Sampson said:

Just seen Brazil's new cases and deaths figures after its government said a week.ago that they're a month away from food shortages due to the lockdown and yesterday saying Sao Paulo's healthcare system is on the brink of being overwhelmed and collapsing. It'll be 2,000+ deaths a day in a week or so at this rate and only get worse from there.

Have a horrible feeling with all the horror we've seem in China, western Europe and the US in the past few months are going to be nothing compared to Brazil. Millions could end up dead there from the virus, healthcare collapse and famine. :(

With Brazil we will never know the extent either. If it gets into favelas, it’s pretty much game to take thousands down. The class system gap in Brazil is frankly huge and it will be sadly highlighted here. Wouldn’t be too surprised in two to three years to see real uproar on the streets there. 

21 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

This contact tracing apps not going to work is it, ministers are already saying we won't need it to track and trace which is another way of saying it's too complicated and won't work. We may as well just wear red or green hats. We could have red pubs, where you're only allowed in if you've got the virus and green pubs where red hats are banned. Bit like apartheid. 

it’s what happens when you flog the contract to develop the app off to one of your mates who has nearly zero record in developing such apps. Ignoring the joint effort that one of the worlds largest IT companies have developed in the process. We haven’t heard a lot from Isle of Wight on the success of this have we?

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Jealous of where Denmark are at now in terms of normality but we'll get there eventually.

I follow a few bars on Instagram from our trip to Copenhagen. The pictures of people in the pub together :/ 

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

With Brazil we will never know the extent either. If it gets into favelas, it’s pretty much game to take thousands down. The class system gap in Brazil is frankly huge and it will be sadly highlighted here. Wouldn’t be too surprised in two to three years to see real uproar on the streets there. 

it’s what happens when you flog the contract to develop the app off to one of your mates who has nearly zero record in developing such apps. Ignoring the joint effort that one of the worlds largest IT companies have developed in the process. We haven’t heard a lot from Isle of Wight on the success of this have we?

I follow a few bars on Instagram from our trip to Copenhagen. The pictures of people in the pub together :/ 

Seeing as the IoW is full of old biddies, and bearing in mind i've unsuccessfully spent the last 5 years trying to teach my mum how use face time on an iphone, i don't think we will hear much.

37 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Jealous of where Denmark are at now in terms of normality but we'll get there eventually.

Girlfriend's sister just got tested, only booked it the day before! It's so odd seeing people eating out over there, seems lightyears away from where we are.

It is a tiny country though and they were so fast to react and lock everything down.

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, but this year we are obeying Sod's Law, so as there is a pandemic, we will be blessed with endless sunny days, or maybe those sunny days are caused by 5G, I just cannot keep up.

I can't find it now but there was something a while back looking at how the climate had reacted to the reduction in CO2 based on lockdown. Global warming and emissions generally cause more adverse and shifting weather, rather than just "it's a bit hotter this year isn't it" - I'll be interested to see the impact on the summer flooding this year, having lived near areas that flooded badly. 

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I can't find it now but there was something a while back looking at how the climate had reacted to the reduction in CO2 based on lockdown. Global warming and emissions generally cause more adverse and shifting weather, rather than just "it's a bit hotter this year isn't it" - I'll be interested to see the impact on the summer flooding this year, having lived near areas that flooded badly. 

According to some Swedish scientist on twitter, we need to sustain this level of activity for about 40 years to reduce global warming! I suggest that governments should start pulling the plug on their funding if that’s the case.

33 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

According to some Swedish scientist on twitter, we need to sustain this level of activity for about 40 years to reduce global warming! I suggest that governments should start pulling the plug on their funding if that’s the case.

Is this the "don`t test if you want no cases" paradigm? :mellow:

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

43 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Is this the "don`t test if you want no cases" paradigm? :mellow:

TBH this is all why we should be looking to just slow the increase down and adapt to what such a temperature increase is going to do rather than looking to arrest the increase totally - it would be difficult to the point of impossible to do so.

As an aside, the potential disruption caused by climate change would make what we've encountered this year look like a pleasant memory.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Okay I take it all back about my gaffer's response to this crap. 

Holy shit it's all kicking off. It's like ****ing Baghdad in here. :nigel:

Why what’s happening? To be honest I was surprised when you mentioned how good it was when you went back. We work in similar environments I think, and my place has been piss poor, along with many other companies I know about as well. 

14 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

None of us know for sure but I personally think that the level of illness a prime minister would need to be at in order to receive additional medical care is likely a lot lower than the average man on the street. So I’d urge everyone to keep that in perspective.

He had some oxygen to assist with his recovery but let’s not pretend he was in a coma on a life support machine/ventilator.

I don’t doubt that coronavirus is an illness that will take some getting over and time to get back to 100% normality but if he’s not fit to do the job then maybe he should step aside?

The country needs a prime minister more than ever right now and if Boris is not fit enough to lead in the way he should be then that needs addressing. After all, if any of us were on sick pay or subject to a company policy we wouldn’t remain on full pay whilst we took as long as we felt we needed to recover would we?! 

Talking out ya a-hole, a member of my team caught it & was lucky enough not to go full ICU but was in hospital for nearly 2 weeks.
He started with Oxygen nose feed then as he was still going down hill moved onto mouth mask, next step full ICU but as i say fortunately managed to cheek that, which is the same as Boris was.

He has currently been off work for 45 calender days all told with a plan to start a few hours a day from next week as he still goes up & down whilst the body is repairing itself, so NO its not a 1 day feel bad the next you over & back to 100%.

On a side his nearest & dearest also suspect he has slight PTSD for what he been through & has seen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

TBH this is all why we should be looking to just slow the increase down and adapt to what such a temperature increase is going to do rather than looking to arrest the increase totally - it would be difficult to the point of impossible to do so.

As an aside, the potential disruption caused by climate change would make what we've encountered this year look like a pleasant memory.

The human race cannot stop climate change, we can stop destroying what we take for granted, but we will never stop climate change.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

The human race cannot stop climate change, we can stop destroying what we take for granted, but we will never stop climate change.

Agreed, which is why adapting to it as well as seeking sustainable living is so bloody important.

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

This is of course true, but I took to refer to the exacerbated rate of change (being the problem), not climate change itself, because as you rightly say, the climate does change.

The rate of change we are responsible for and we can at least slow.

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is of course true, but I took to refer to the exacerbated rate of change (being the problem), not climate change itself, because as you rightly say, the climate does change.

The rate of change we are responsible for and we can at least slow.

And if we do that, at the very least we buy ourselves time to adapt which may be critical.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stix said:

Why what’s happening? To be honest I was surprised when you mentioned how good it was when you went back. We work in similar environments I think, and my place has been piss poor, along with many other companies I know about as well. 

The corona response has been and continues to be excellent. It's everything else that's the ****ing problem. He's sent a letter out saying since we've all just had 7 weeks off, all holidays for the rest of the year are cancelled because we're behind on orders. 

This shite wouldn't fly in a McDonald's ffs, how he's expecting it to fly here is CRAZY. He said he's gonna come round and talk to everyone about it and get their input. It's been an hour and half and he's spoke to 3 people. lol

18 hours ago, davieG said:

The vast majority could still be social distancing, photos like this can be very deceptive. You can look over and area and think wow it must be a wood or forest then when you actually get there is just a load of very well spaced trees with houses and shops etc in between.

On the other hand maybe.......

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The corona response has been and continues to be excellent. It's everything else that's the ****ing problem. He's sent a letter out saying since we've all just had 7 weeks off, all holidays for the rest of the year are cancelled because we're behind on orders. 

This shite wouldn't fly in a McDonald's ffs, how he's expecting it to fly here is CRAZY. He said he's gonna come round and talk to everyone about it and get their input. It's been an hour and half and he's spoke to 3 people. lol

Tell him to GF’d lol

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

I told him he must be ****ing pulling my leg. He's essentially asking me to give up 4 weeks worth of wages if we can't take holidays. NAAAAAAH. 

How the **** does he expect that to fly, beyond a joke.

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I told him he must be ****ing pulling my leg. He's essentially asking me to give up 4 weeks worth of wages if we can't take holidays. NAAAAAAH. 

Aren't holidays/annual leave a legal right? In terms of welfare and wellbeing at the very least... 

14 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Were you on furlough? If so won't that have been the government's contribution to ensuring that you didn't have 'seven weeks off' but a suspended period - his losses will be offset by the government assisting the wage demands.

14:27

UK government procures antibody test

The UK government has reached a deal to acquire antibody tests, a spokesman says.

The tests, which show if someone has previously had coronavirus, will first go to health and care workers. The tests will be free.

The spokesman said the health secretary, Matt Hancock, would set out details at today's evening briefing.

The government had previously been known to be in negotiations with the drugs manufacturer Roche.

This is good news, they must be happy that the tests work and provide reliable results then. I dno if this is old news, but this is the first I've heard about us buying them in. 

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Aren't holidays/annual leave a legal right? In terms of welfare and wellbeing at the very least... 

Course they are, but we can voluntarily give them up, which is what he's asking. lol

7 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Were you on furlough? If so won't that have been the government's contribution to ensuring that you didn't have 'seven weeks off' but a suspended period - his losses will be offset by the government assisting the wage demands.

I was, as was the rest of us, but it doesn't offset the fact that for those 7 weeks, the rest of the companies bills were still being paid with nothing being produced. I get where the guy is coming from, really I do, but he's barking up the wrong tree. 

It's like he doesn't know he's asking a tory to give away money. :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

How the **** does he expect that to fly, beyond a joke.

Oh he's having some success now. 

Kidding. He's getting yelled at by every man and his dog. lol

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Haha jesus. I know that a company can tell you when you have to take your holiday as long as they give enough notice. I'm not sure it's legal to remove your holiday entirely. Pretty sure there's a minimum you're legally allowed based on the number of hours you work.

Ah just saw you mentioned he's asked if you will voluntarily forgo it. 

I do think people could try and help their employers out after this if possible. It doesn't sound like he's done it the best way possible.

Surely you gather everyone (if possible) explain the situation and ask if people will be willing to forgo/delay holiday so that they can keep up on orders. You'll get some people that go "well it's my holiday, i'll have earned it" sure. The karen's. A lot of people would sympathise though I'm sure. It's amazing how bad some managers are at managing people haha.

Edited by filbertway