Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Was off to America at the start of May for the first time! been planning this for an whole year... that's now looking in doubt! Just hope for everyone sakes, things start to calm down in the coming weeks. As serious as this has been I think panicing the public will make things worse.  

3 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Was off to America at the start of May for the first time! been planning this for an whole year... that's now looking in doubt! Just hope for everyone sakes, things start to calm down in the coming weeks. As serious as this has been I think panicing the public will make things worse.  

I don't think anyone is going anywhere in May.

I have trips to Norway and Croatia and am pretty much writing them off now

Also, I have an annual travel insurance and they updated their website today to basically say that anything Corona related won't be covered. 

Edited by stripeyfox

I know someone who works in a hospital in England, it's been confirmed one of her patients has coronavirus. She's been told not to self isolate. She could potentially spread around the hospital where there will be many vulnerable people with an array of health issues.

I know the NHS can't be left unstaffed, I don't work in the NHS and have little knowledge if it's workings, but this seems like complete madness to me. She's off for 3 days anyway so could have easily extended for a few more days to hit the 7 day mark.

21 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I don't think anyone is going anywhere in May.

I have trips to Norway and Croatia and am pretty much writing them off now

Also, I have an annual travel insurance and they updated their website today to basically say that anything Corona related won't be covered. 

Anything you book from now. If you booked it earlier, you should still be covered.

They reneg on stuff like this, then why should anyone bother getting insurance for anything, ever?

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Anything you book from now. If you booked it earlier, you should still be covered.

They reneg on stuff like this, then why should anyone bother getting insurance for anything, ever?

I've not had time to read the small print, but the disclaimer is basically saying there is a clause whereby if a Global Pandemic is declared then the insurance is basically voided for claims relating to the that illness.

I'm not massively exposed. My Norway trip is just Ryanair flights which can be rebooked for a later date. Croatia is Airbnb accommodation which can be cancelled,  but I've paid about £1500 for flights with BA. So presumably if BA cancel then I'll get my money back from them anyway

23 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

20 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I've not had time to read the small print, but the disclaimer is basically saying there is a clause whereby if a Global Pandemic is declared then the insurance is basically voided for claims relating to the that illness.

I'm not massively exposed. My Norway trip is just Ryanair flights which can be rebooked for a later date. Croatia is Airbnb accommodation which can be cancelled,  but I've paid about £1500 for flights with BA. So presumably if BA cancel then I'll get my money back from them anyway

There is some truth to this specifically relating to: travel disruption. My mum is going away and found out not all travel insurance policies are covered - hers isn't. She's visiting relatives so it's just flights in her case. 

She was told something related to an event like this is sometimes an optional extra you have to ask for. But not in all cases - each policy is different.

This is copied from a GoCompare article:

It’s a part of your travel insurance policy that compensates you if your trip is interrupted or cut short unexpectedly.

It’ll cover the cost of parts of your trip you can’t use, including flights, accommodation and land transport.

Not all travel insurance policies offer cover for disruption as standard. If not, you can usually pay to add it as an optional extra.

Edited by Guesty

Record Store day postponed from mid April to June 20th due to Corona. Makes the overnight queuing more bearable I suppose. Basically it's shopping. Busy shopping but shopping and queing. Is it Italy where only food shops are allowed to open ? Anyone think this Corona virus was created by Amazon.com?

3 minutes ago, Guesty said:

There is some truth to this specifically relating to: travel disruption. My mum is going away and found out not all travel insurance policies are covered - hers isn't. She's visiting relatives so it's just flghts in her case. 

She was told something related to an event like this is sometimes an optional extra you have to ask for. But not in all cases - each policy is different.

This is copied from a GoComapre article:

It’s a part of your travel insurance policy that compensates you if your trip is interrupted or cut short unexpectedly.

It’ll cover the cost of parts of your trip you can’t use, including flights, accommodation and land transport.

Not all travel insurance policies offer cover for disruption as standard. If not, you can usually pay to add it as an optional extra.

My cover was supposedly comprehensive package offered through my employer and I make a monthly payment of about £7 I think. It covered disruption to travel, end user failure and even covers cancellation cover for trips within the UK.

On the website today they updated this:

The World Health Organisation categorised this outbreak as a pandemic on 11 March 2020. Claims for cancellations made following this announcement that arise from inability or unwillingness to travel because of the virus being contracted by any person, quarantine requirements, self isolation, concern about travel or where government advice is to not travel will NOT be met by this insurance. Customers should contact their travel providers or credit card providers to progress alternative arrangements, refunds etc. 

16 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

For a bit of light relief, everyone should go to shake hands then do the thumb on nose waggly finger thing. 

Still the greatest ever example of this

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

My cover was supposedly comprehensive package offered through my employer and I make a monthly payment of about £7 I think. It covered disruption to travel, end user failure and even covers cancellation cover for trips within the UK.

On the website today they updated this:

The World Health Organisation categorised this outbreak as a pandemic on 11 March 2020. Claims for cancellations made following this announcement that arise from inability or unwillingness to travel because of the virus being contracted by any person, quarantine requirements, self isolation, concern about travel or where government advice is to not travel will NOT be met by this insurance. Customers should contact their travel providers or credit card providers to progress alternative arrangements, refunds etc. 

Maybe there's something else too regarding pandemics and it's different to my Mum's advice. Or maybe because it's through an employer it's different. 

All I know is what she told me - I have no other knowledge. From reading that it looks like they are being weasels. Hope you get your money back or new flights.