Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

6 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Not really, Boris said this was under review and that the timing would be announced in due course. The joy about the UK strategy is they keep telling people what is coming down the line but that it's a case of timing but people seem keen to ignore the forward guidance in favour of flailing around at the fact the government isn't doing anything.

Also history shouldn't be kind to someone that chose to announce such things and then field questions which were best left to people that know what they're on about rather than a politician that just loves the limelight

The Uk government has been completely overtaken by events and by the public. In the long run they may be right but just now they are looking lost and just a bit leaderless. They are also now diametrically opposed to WHO policy on testing just as they have been diametrically opposed to the actions of the rest of the world.

There is a growing danger that the policy we are following will not carry the people with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

In a dreadful position right now. Get married in June when the peak is now predicted. My heart says risk it, my head says postpone it. Problem is, wedding insurance only pays out if we cancel because one of us is sick or a close family member - or the venue has an outbreak. 

That's not taking into account all the guests, suppliers and staff all being healthy and present. Day could be ruined quite easily.

Biggest problem we could face that if the government brings in a blanket ban on weddings or gatherings of over 50+ like in a lot of countries, insurance will not pay out at all. So we lose 20k just like that which to me is outrageous. Quite possible as they try and limit the June peak.

If we cancel now, we lose about 6-7k we have already paid out. Massive gamble to continue, but it's just a horrible situation now.

That doesnt take into account the honeymoon. They only pay out if we are sick or there is official advice not to travel there. If the wedding is cancelled and we obviously dont want the honeymoon, its tough titties apparently.

The next 15 weeks of excitement have turned into 15 weeks of hell.

Sorry to hear that @Larry_LCFC 

Maybe wait until next week and see what sort of ban they implement, numbers wise. 

If it’s all events over 500 people become outlawed ........ I’d consider opting for a large marquee in the car park, invite another 450 people (could be Foxestalk members), which would mean you’d need to cancel it and be entitled to full compensation. 

:ph34r:

In a dreadful position right now. Get married in June when the peak is now predicted. My heart says risk it, my head says postpone it. Problem is, wedding insurance only pays out if we cancel because one of us is sick or a close family member - or the venue has an outbreak. 

That's not taking into account all the guests, suppliers and staff all being healthy and present. Day could be ruined quite easily.

Biggest problem we could face that if the government brings in a blanket ban on weddings or gatherings of over 50+ like in a lot of countries, insurance will not pay out at all. So we lose 20k just like that which to me is outrageous. Quite possible as they try and limit the June peak.

If we cancel now, we lose about 6-7k we have already paid out. Massive gamble to continue, but it's just a horrible situation now.

That doesnt take into account the honeymoon. They only pay out if we are sick or there is official advice not to travel there. If the wedding is cancelled and we obviously dont want the honeymoon, its tough titties apparently.

The next 15 weeks of excitement have turned into 15 weeks of hell.

I get married on the 27th of this month, I haven't been nervous at all during the run up but now I'm starting to worry.

We both have grandparents with quite serious existing health issues so we are afraid that if they catch it they will be in trouble. Can't imagine them not being there but also can't risk them for the long term just for one day. The only saving grace is that it's a small wedding so the risk is a bit lower.

Looks like I'll be getting married in a hazmat suit and not a moss bros special! 

7 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Why didn't I help him or why do I feel bad? lol

He's been rolling throughout the ER since I've been here and from the "glare" oh his phone screen it looks like disease station central.

Help the guy and wash your hands.

You should be more worried about him coughing or sneezing near you... that's immediate transference - assuming hence even has it. You'll only get it from contact if you then touch yourself somewhere that the virus can get easy access... nose, mouth, eyes. Skin is a remarkably good protection.

You were more likely to get infected down the pub.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BeardyFox said:

I get married on the 27th of this month, I haven't been nervous at all during the run up but now I'm starting to worry.

We both have grandparents with quite serious existing health issues so we are afraid that if they catch it they will be in trouble. Can't imagine them not being there but also can't risk them for the long term just for one day. The only saving grace is that it's a small wedding so the risk is a bit lower.

Looks like I'll be getting married in a hazmat suit and not a moss bros special! 

That's a bummer. :(

Last year was our 25th anniversary and we had a big party to celebrate. My wife and I were saying yesterday that it's a good thing it wasn't this year. Feel sorry for anyone who's got a big landmark event coming up.

8 hours ago, Lionator said:

theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/uk-to-ban-mass-gatherings-in-coronavirus-u-turn

Looks like Nicola Sturgeon has done a job on PM Johnson and his team here by jumping the gun yesterday and forcing him into this today. 

History will be very kind to her.

I don't think Sturgeon can really take the "credit" for this. Sporting bodies and other private organisations have basically forced this u-turn by the government. Now it is an easy decision to take as how many mass gatherings are actually still going to take place anyway.

Will be interesting to see what the cut-off number is.

I'm not sure what this has been spent on, but you'd hope most companies would allow you to postpone and rearrange whatever you've ordered. Is this a possibility? 

12 minutes ago, reynard said:

The Uk government has been completely overtaken by events and by the public. In the long run they may be right but just now they are looking lost and just a bit leaderless. They are also now diametrically opposed to WHO policy on testing just as they have been diametrically opposed to the actions of the rest of the world.

There is a growing danger that the policy we are following will not carry the people with it.

I was thinking this. The whole herd immunity thing isn't going to work, cos large gatherings are being pulled unilaterally. Won't be long before people just stop going out of their own accord.

10 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I was thinking this. The whole herd immunity thing isn't going to work, cos large gatherings are being pulled unilaterally. Won't be long before people just stop going out of their own accord.

Almost certainly happening already. If you are over 70 for eg you may well be thinking twice about going out to an area/venue where you are likely to be in close contact with other possibly already infected people.

I suspect the rate and spread of infection is already so widespread that mass infection is inevitable. The rate the world is going we are not looking at recession but more like a world wide depression akin to the 1920s.

Was meant to go to America with about a dozen pals for a friends wedding and then on a road trip for 2 weeks at the start of April. Pretty much waiting for the final blow on that becoming cancelled. The groom's booked an earlier flight to try and get out there before the doors shut, such a horrible situation.

I booked travel insurance for the trip weeks ago but I bet they dont pay out. Already down to lose a fair whack on airbnbs.

On top of that I was down to do the euros - few days each in Dublin, Amsterdam and Bilbao. Looks like that's being binned and likely to lose the money on all the flights booked.

So gutting :cry:

Edited by ealingfox

sooner or later all travel will be cancelled, I reckon it will get a lot worse before it gets better, can see all summer holidays getting cancelled, etc dont reckon anyone will be going away till at least October

ive booked 11 nights in Mallorca 1st week in August, now umming and ahhing whether to cancel it and get a refund before they cancel it themselves

27 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Was meant to go to America with about a dozen pals for a friends wedding and then on a road trip for 2 weeks at the start of April. Pretty much waiting for the final blow on that becoming cancelled. The groom's booked an earlier flight to try and get out there before the doors shut, such a horrible situation.

I booked travel insurance for the trip weeks ago but I bet they dont pay out. Already down to lose a fair whack on airbnbs.

On top of that I was down to do the euros - few days each in Dublin, Amsterdam and Bilbao. Looks like that's being binned and likely to lose the money on all the flights booked.

AirBNB are offering FULL refunds arent they... including service fees i beleive?

Edited by ozleicester
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Airbnb you should be ok

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-for-the-coronavirus-covid19

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

New Zealand just banned all people travelling to NZ (or have a 14 day isolation upon arrival)  BASTARDS!

Im booked to go there in 30 days.... wonder where we will be then??? 

In isolation?

• Haha 1

This stock piling malarkey is getting out of hand and I absolutely refuse to join in !!     But as there is no footy this weekend I’ve decided to go into town this afternoon and do my Christmas shopping early ...    shouldn’t take too long as this year everyone is getting the same thing ...   toilet rolls. 

Edited by Countryfox

The herd immunity stuff is genius if it works. If in fact the virus can be contained long term then it's a terrible idea.

The theory is that they want 60% of the population to get infected, strategically. The median age of the UK is 40. Therefore if every under 40 got the infection then 50% of the population will be immune. The under 40's are also much more likely to be of low risk of complications (mortality rate of 0.2%). Obviously this would lead to manageable hospital conditions. They can't say this as such as it would be a PR disaster but it's important that this virus spreads through schools and universities. We will not go into total lockdown however over 60's will be told to go into total self isolation at some point in order to help the spread of the disease through the younger population. A researcher said that ideally they'd put all of the low risk people in Kent and let it run rampant and all the high risk people in Inverness and put them in lockdown. Then once all of the people in Kent have been infected, reintegrate the societies. That's what they're doing but on a national level. 

IF COVID-19 can't be contained, then this is by far and away the best strategy.