Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

7 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Maybe there's something else too regarding pandemics and it's different to my Mum's advice. Or maybe because it's through an employer it's different. 

All I know is what she told me - I have no other knowledge. From reading that it looks like they are being weasels. Hope you get your money back or new flights.  

Yeah I don't really understand it - and at the moment we're still a few weeks away so lots could change. Guess will just have to sit tight and see what happens. Losing a holiday is not the most important thing in the grand scheme of things, but I'm sure it will be a concern for lots of people

Nice explanation about why washing your hands makes a difference to Corona.

Might even be better than hand sanitizer. In your face panic buyers, I've got plenty of soap!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I didn't come on here or follow social media I wouldn't be aware of a virus sweeping through the nation. Went to the pub after work and people are very much business as usual it seems. I suppose it only really hits home when someone you know gets it. 

7 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If I didn't come on here or follow social media I wouldn't be aware of a virus sweeping through the nation. Went to the pub after work and people are very much business as usual it seems. I suppose it only really hits home when someone you know gets it. 

I know what you mean.Although some shop assistants are now wearing gloves.I dread going to the supermarket aswell.Other than that it’s seems to be business as usual.How long for 😐

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

To achieve what?

Some sort of handle on who has it or doesn’t and who actually needs to be isolated, record some sort accurate statistics on the infection rate so they can asses where they are at in regards to future action  they need to take. What states need to be shut off from the others, amongst other things I could detail if that wasn’t enough already.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

5 hours ago, String fellow said:

250 deaths in Italy today. How soon will Vallance and Whitty be replaced by people who can give the UK government advice that'll prevent this country drifting towards disaster?

Do you have someone in mind? Are you offering your services?

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Some sort of handle on who has it or doesn’t and who actually needs to be isolated, record some sort accurate statistics on the infection rate so they can asses where they are at in regards to future action  they need to take. What states need to be shut off from the others, amongst other things I could detail if that wasn’t enough already.

None of it will work.  It’s already everywhere.  It’s all about what you do now.

theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/uk-to-ban-mass-gatherings-in-coronavirus-u-turn

Looks like Nicola Sturgeon has done a job on PM Johnson and his team here by jumping the gun yesterday and forcing him into this today. 

History will be very kind to her.

21 minutes ago, Lionator said:

theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/uk-to-ban-mass-gatherings-in-coronavirus-u-turn

Looks like Nicola Sturgeon has done a job on PM Johnson and his team here by jumping the gun yesterday and forcing him into this today. 

Other than the memes with her mum as Elton John.

Edited by Costock_Fox

Went from a pub where we were elbow to elbow to the waiting room in the ER for my niece(non coronavirus related).

People with masks on here but luckily it's actually sort of deserted, so lots of space to keep your distance.

I'd probably be panicking more if we hadn't stopped for a few too many beers before hand.

Edited by spacemunky

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

None of it will work.  It’s already everywhere.  It’s all about what you do now.

Wont it.

How have China got it under control then.

Not by telling folk not to go on cruises and wash their hands.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Felt bad, as I'm waiting here in the ER a young fella in a wheelchair asked me if I could help getting his phone plugged into the charging station. I had to tell him no, although he said he understood, which made me feel worse.

Why, exactly?

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Why, exactly?

Why didn't I help him or why do I feel bad? lol

He's been rolling throughout the ER since I've been here and from the "glare" oh his phone screen it looks like disease station central.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Not really, Boris said this was under review and that the timing would be announced in due course. The joy about the UK strategy is they keep telling people what is coming down the line but that it's a case of timing but people seem keen to ignore the forward guidance in favour of flailing around at the fact the government isn't doing anything.

Also history shouldn't be kind to someone that chose to announce such things and then field questions which were best left to people that know what they're on about rather than a politician that just loves the limelight

• Like 2

One thing that concerns me is that the govt scientists seem to be using models, not evidence. The assumption is we can get herd immunity via a 60-ish percent infection rate, but there's no data to back this up (the disease it too new to have any data).

If the virus comes back in different strains (like the flu every year, hence we repeat vaccinate for that), letting it run in a controlled manner isn't going to achieve herd immunity. 

We're all part of a big experiment. If we behave as the govt tell us too (that's what they'll model) and the assumption of herd immunity is correct, then they'll have played a blinder. If the assumption of herd immunity is incorrect, we'll end up in the same position as Italy. 

In the absence of any evidence, we're taking a big gamble. 

In a dreadful position right now. Get married in June when the peak is now predicted. My heart says risk it, my head says postpone it. Problem is, wedding insurance only pays out if we cancel because one of us is sick or a close family member - or the venue has an outbreak. 

That's not taking into account all the guests, suppliers and staff all being healthy and present. Day could be ruined quite easily.

Biggest problem we could face that if the government brings in a blanket ban on weddings or gatherings of over 50+ like in a lot of countries, insurance will not pay out at all. So we lose 20k just like that which to me is outrageous. Quite possible as they try and limit the June peak.

If we cancel now, we lose about 6-7k we have already paid out. Massive gamble to continue, but it's just a horrible situation now.

That doesnt take into account the honeymoon. They only pay out if we are sick or there is official advice not to travel there. If the wedding is cancelled and we obviously dont want the honeymoon, its tough titties apparently.

The next 15 weeks of excitement have turned into 15 weeks of hell.

• Sad 3

The UK government are clearly gambling that infection by this virus confers immunity. I really hope that they have firm evidence to this effect.

I’m also a bit concerned about this idea of people who suspect that they have the virus just self isolating, and not being tested unless symptoms become severe (that’s what I understand the policy to be). Are these people added to stats of confirmed or suspected? If not the stats are quite useless.

More importantly, many people who have a minor sore throat or cough will be tempted to ignore advice and carry on as usual until symptoms develop further. If tests were freely available as per Korea, these people could confirm their status easily and most I’m sure would then self isolate.

The more I think about the UK government’s response, the less convinced I am that they are acting in the best interests of the populace.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The UK government are clearly gambling that infection by this virus confers immunity. I really hope that they have firm evidence to this effect.

I’m also a bit concerned about this idea of people who suspect that they have the virus just self isolating, and not being tested unless symptoms become severe (that’s what I understand the policy to be). Are these people added to stats of confirmed or suspected? If not the stats are quite useless.

More importantly, many people who have a minor sore throat or cough will be tempted to ignore advice and carry on as usual until symptoms develop further. If tests were freely available as per Korea, these people could confirm their status easily and most I’m sure would then self isolate.

The more I think about the UK government’s response, the less convinced I am that they are acting in the best interests of the populace.

I do think you’re right on this, If I got a mild sore throat and a bit of a cough and I won’t be able to get confirmation by testing then I’m in a dilemma. I won’t get paid any time off, I’m self employed. If I mention it to the contract, I’ll be taken off for 2 weeks. It could then be nothing and then I’m still at risk of further time off through infection or lockdown. I’d be very tempted to soldier on and hide the symptoms until I’m sure.

• Like 1