Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

In more positive news, 100 year old Chinese man with underlying health problems (obviously with being a century old) is discharged after recovering from COVID-19.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-chinese-man-aged-100-recovers-disease-a4383741.html

Got to remember that even those over 80 have an 85% chance of survival and recovery.  

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Have faith in our medical experts, keep calm and carry on.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

We're splitting up into two teams here at work starting next week, one team will do home office until further notice so that interactions are reduced to a minimum and that production is guaranteed.

We've installed a remote software on our private computers so that one can access one's office desktop from home also.

Same arrangement at my workplace, except it’s for two weeks and will then be reviewed. 

Edited by Finnaldo

All schools closed in Switzerland until 4th of April (higher education included), exams are allowed, but under strict supervision.

Maximum of 50 people in bars, restaurants or clubs.

All events with more than 100 people are banned.

The Federal Council has guaranteed financial aid for the economy, up to 10 billion Swiss Francs (£8.5b) for now as it stands.

Went to the gym earlier and was chatting to a woman there who's quite high up in the NHS. She says they've been told we'll go into full lock-down mode imminently and schools closed etc. I've no reason not to believe her so popped in Aldi on my way back and bought a few extra bits as you do like.

Yesterday I had a number of VC sessions with clients in Ireland and apparently as soon as they announced the schools were closing, people shot off down the supermarkets and the car parks were full within minutes. Sounded like total chaos. 

In other news, I had a VC 121 today with a client who's the FD of a medium sized company. Poor bloke broke down in tears half way through because he's being asked by his shareholders/investors what the implications are of all this and he obviously hasn't got a clue. The pressure and uncertainty just got to him and he totally melted :(

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Not sure if this has been linked yet, but it's very interesting. The government's chief scientific adviser Patrick Vallance explains why our approach is so different to that of other countries...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p086jfg5

It's hard to know which way it will go which is what makes it so dangerous.

The 2nd wind of Spanish flu after the initial die-down was way more deadly than the 1st. And getting Spanish flu in its early stages probably turned out to be a blessing in disguise in the end.

Swine flu thankfully went the other way though and its second wind was a lot less deadly.

Its certainly true that one of our biggest concerns should be that assuming this starts to die down in the summer, what kind of the reaction the virus has in the autumn time when it will quite likely return. Especially as it seems like a vaccine is not likely to be available on mass until Spring/Summer 2021.

• Like 2

If the thinking is that eventually c.60% of the population become immune having survived the virus, serving to halt any further spread.... Should we be working from home as instructed by our employers? Or does that undermine the govt approach and actually - assuming we are low risk individuals - should we be out there exposing ourselves to the virus? (Self isolating once unwell, and taking care not to expose those who are more vulnerable)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Went to the gym earlier and was chatting to a woman there who's quite high up in the NHS. She says they've been told we'll go into full lock-down mode imminently and schools closed etc. I've no reason not to believe her so popped in Aldi on my way back and bought a few extra bits as you do like.

Yesterday I had a number of VC sessions with clients in Ireland and apparently as soon as they announced the schools were closing, people shot off down the supermarkets and the car parks were full within minutes. Sounded like total chaos. 

In other news, I had a VC 121 today with a client who's the FD of a medium sized company. Poor bloke broke down in tears half way through because he's being asked by his shareholders/investors what the implications are of all this and he obviously hasn't got a clue. The pressure and uncertainty just got to him and he totally melted :(

Interesting. What does VC stand for? 😂

8 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It's hard to know which way it will go which is what makes it so dangerous.

The 2nd wind of Spanish flu after the initial die-down was way more deadly than the 1st. And getting Spanish flu in its early stages probably turned out to be a blessing in disguise in the end.

Swine flu thankfully went the other way though and its second wind was a lot less deadly.

Its certainly true that one of our biggest concerns should be that assuming this starts to die down in the summer, what kind of the reaction the virus has in the autumn time when it will quite likely return. Especially as it seems like a vaccine is not likely to be available on mass until Spring/Summer 2021.

I think this is why it is wise not to go into 'lockdown' too early. China for example, yes their cases have dropped off but when they let everyone move freely again, it will cause carnage.

IMO the best policy for the UK, is for everyone too get it, but slowly. Thus allowing those who need ICU's get them, preventing an Italy style situation. If you 'lockdown' too early, then when that lockdown is lifting, we're ****ed in the Autumn, like you say.

3 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Interesting. What does VC stand for? 😂

lol

Sorry, Video Conferencing (Skype, Zoom, MS Teams, Google Hangout etc.) :thumbup:

I do loads of work from home over 'VC' so ya know, every cloud....:whistle:

• Like 1

What is frustrating how we all thought China and other countries such as Iran were under reporting cases and covering the issues up.

I still read in the news “The number of cases in the UK has risen to X” when we all know they don’t test everyone who shows symptoms. So this figure is incorrect.

Two of my good friends have been told, one by their GP and another by 111 service, that they more than likely have the virus however wouldn’t be tested. They were given advice to self isolate.

Are the government playing it down to stop panic? 

9 minutes ago, Stephen Hughes said:

What is frustrating how we all thought China and other countries such as Iran were under reporting cases and covering the issues up.

I still read in the news “The number of cases in the UK has risen to X” when we all know they don’t test everyone who shows symptoms. So this figure is incorrect.

Two of my good friends have been told, one by their GP and another by 111 service, that they more than likely have the virus however wouldn’t be tested. They were given advice to self isolate.

Probably yes. What's worse:

1) a few cases go un-reported where people recover.

2) mass panic, in which no one wins.

20 minutes ago, Stephen Hughes said:

111 and the GP are just guessing, they could just as likely have a bad cold as have Covid 19! 

The government has just realised that wide spread testing will not contain the virus and is a waste of resources.

13 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Probably yes. What's worse:

1) a few cases go un-reported where people recover.

2) mass panic, in which no one wins.

Well is it not causing more panic saying 10 deaths from 600 cases rather then 10 in 6000? 

I don’t know but I’m glad I don’t have to make these decisions. 

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

111 and the GP are just guessing, they could just as likely have a bad cold as have Covid 19! 

The government has just realised that wide spread testing will not contain the virus and is a waste of resources.

I agree. But my point remains.

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

I guess ours will be doing the same soon then 

I'd imagine it'll be a nationwide decision Deb tbh.

I bet the FA took the decision on the back of postponing the PL/EFL games to cascade it down to grass roots football too.

Fvck knows what I'll do with my weekend now!

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Our local league have just cancelled all juniors and youth games for the foreseeable future after advice from the FA.

Bummer.

If we're going for this herd immunity thing (and I can see it's merits - it's playing the long game) then surely we want young people to get infected, be mildly ill, and build an immunity, whilst keeping away from the old and vulnerable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

If we're going for this herd immunity thing (and I can see it's merits - it's playing the long game) then surely we want young people to get infected, be mildly ill, and build an immunity, whilst keeping away from the old and vulnerable.

I duuno Trav. The whole thing confuses me tbh.

Just find it all a bit sad really but my 11 year old boy suffers from asthma and it constantly coughing anyway so part of me just wants to hide him away from it all. 

Unprecedented times we're living in right now..

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Apart from being able to put in on social media, why would you want proof unless you are so ill you need the hospital?

That's how South Korea have controlled the spread of the virus, they do mass sampling and sophisticated contact tracing, publishing the infected locations and isolating efficiently. They don't have great "numbers" but they do have the most realistic and the best effects from using the data.

UK are doing it a different way.