Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Coronavirus: Closed Door Matches

6 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

A bit of perspective... 90000 cases worldwide it started in china weeks ago and in a country of 1.4 billions and world wide as well about 3000 have died. 

China had the advantage of pre existing Big Brother type tracking and the ability to stop millions of people from leaving their homes, which is how they got control of it. In almost every other country, that strategy is not feasible. Particularly in countries that are in denial and/or prioritise personal freedom, like the USA. Eg. Washington, where it has been circulating for two months, has the largest outbreak in USA (hundreds to thousands infected). And they have absolutely refused to cancel the 4 day Seattle Comic Con next week, right in the middle of the outbreak, with 100k attendees from all over the world expected. That will go well. 

At some point people will have to accept that this is actually really bad instead of repeatedly moving the goalposts as to how 'it's not that bad yet' . It's already killed more than SARS or MERS and we're barely just got started. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

China had the advantage of pre existing Big Brother type tracking and the ability to stop millions of people from leaving their homes, which is how they got control of it. In almost every other country, that strategy is not feasible. Particularly in countries that are in denial and/or prioritise personal freedom, like the USA. Eg. Washington, where it has been circulating for two months, has the largest outbreak in USA (hundreds to thousands infected). And they have absolutely refused to cancel the 4 day Seattle Comic Con next week, right in the middle of the outbreak, with 100k attendees from all over the world expected. That will go well. 

At some point people will have to accept that this is actually really bad instead of repeatedly moving the goalposts as to how 'it's not that bad yet' . It's already killed more than SARS or MERS and we're barely just got started. 

This. I got laughed at the other day for suggesting the British attitude to it was arrogant. Comparing it to normal flu etc is so stupid it's unreal. Good post.

The point of concern will be when it significantly outstrips seasonal flu in terms of deaths, not media story's like SARS or even MERS

11 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The point of concern will be when it significantly outstrips seasonal flu in terms of deaths, not media story's like SARS or even MERS

Seasonal flu kills a few thousand each year. Deaths from coronavirus are in addition to deaths from seasonal flu. You're saying we should only be worried when coronavirus deaths are significantly more than flu deaths. So you still wouldn't be worried once coronavirus deaths are equal to flu deaths, thus doubling the number of total deaths? Do you need triple the number of deaths to occur before taking this seriously? 

Guest bss9401
4 hours ago, notnow john said:

You do realise malaria is NOT cantagious,right.

Doesn't matter. Those mossies have been on the Nike Oregan project with Salazar. Well ripped.

21 minutes ago, brucey said:

Seasonal flu kills a few thousand each year. Deaths from coronavirus are in addition to deaths from seasonal flu. You're saying we should only be worried when coronavirus deaths are significantly more than flu deaths. So you still wouldn't be worried once coronavirus deaths are equal to flu deaths, thus doubling the number of total deaths? Do you need triple the number of deaths to occur before taking this seriously? 

No, that's not what I said nor meant at all.

I was suggesting that once Covid-19 kills more than the current seasonal flu (not in conjunction with) then it is a point of further genuine concern.

As far as I understand, it is close to that level now, so this will likely be of considerable concern globally.

Do not think I am making light of Covid-19, I am certainly not and the same can be said for seasonal flu.

It has actually closed schools in the area where I live, not my sons school, but it is very much in peoples minds in this locale.

So the PL is to stop pre-match handshakes. But what about pre-match team group hugs? The Mail is suggesting today that the rest of the football season could be abandoned, and that this season's results could be declared null and void!

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

So the PL is to stop pre-match handshakes. But what about pre-match team group hugs? The Mail is suggesting today that the rest of the football season could be abandoned, and that this season's results could be declared null and void!

No chance.

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

The Mail trying to cause mass panic? Never! 

It wont happen. Games will jsut be played behind closed doors. 

There is no additional risk in players that share the same dressing room passing it onto each other on a match day - the issue is with the oppositinnand refs who are from a different region of the country 

Any newspaper/media outlet saying differently are just talking sh1t 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There is no additional risk in players that share the same dressing room passing it onto each other on a match day - the issue is with the oppositinnand refs who are from a different region of the country 

Any newspaper/media outlet saying differently are just talking sh1t 

One of the coaches can ref and one of the subs from each team can run the line - like Sunday League!

2 hours ago, brucey said:

I knew Merson was a flawed character but didn't realise he was a killer.

Our increased awareness of hand washing and hygiene may well have a good effect on general health.If we can just stop smoking.drinking overeating and take some exercise we could be on to something.Not seeing any smoking related panic even though it kills folk in bulk.

I do trust  the science on the crowd issue didn't make the point very well but if kids don't go to school they still mix with others or stay with grandma while mum is at work..Match   on Monday I will be with my son in the car walk to the game then sit close to a handful of others then reverse.If  I don't go its the pub and at least the same mix.

Go to go now to get some toilet roll

5 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Our increased awareness of hand washing and hygiene may well have a good effect on general health.If we can just stop smoking.drinking overeating and take some exercise we could be on to something.Not seeing any smoking related panic even though it kills folk in bulk.

I do trust  the science on the crowd issue didn't make the point very well but if kids don't go to school they still mix with others or stay with grandma while mum is at work..Match   on Monday I will be with my son in the car walk to the game then sit close to a handful of others then reverse.If  I don't go its the pub and at least the same mix.

Go to go now to get some toilet roll

Thought you said cutting ‘overreacting’ at first glance, this forum would be destroyed if we were to do that lol  

Overreacting is good because sitting behind your own keyboard is safe as houses.

Just back from Tenerife and they are asking staff to wash hands thoroughly before they start work which seems sound.

I'm in the West stand by the way if you wish to avoid.row Z 

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

No chance.

I'd rather catch the damn thing and be done with it. That government medical advisor said that 99+ out of 100 people will only feel mild virus symptoms. I understand vulnerable etc and I'm prone to chest infections with asthma so I'm under no illusion as to the consequences, but life has to go on.

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

They train together every day, I’m sure a team hug isn’t going to make a difference.  They’re shaking hands with the opposition. Not that it’ll make a difference, they’re all going to be in contact with each other for 90mins.

I recognise the seriousness of corona virus and the rate it is spreading but the last government report https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf

shows likely attributable deaths to seasonal flu:

2014/015 - 28330

2015/16 - 11785

2016/17 - 18009

2017/18 - 26408

2018/19 - 1692

This averages 17,350 more deaths a year than currently reported for corona virus.