Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hales

Maddison contract

There's plenty of sensible reasons why it's not happened.

If you're Maddison's agent you are watching the pre-window movements very closely. For example, if Pogba agrees something with someone in the next couple of months then Manchester United are in the market for a midfielder etc. There is therefore no rush on the agent's part to strike a deal with us.

If you're Leicester you are going to be wary of chucking a £150k/week contract (i.e. £39m in wages over 5 years) at a player if you are not secure of Champions League football. The player is contracted for 3.5 years here and therefore like with Mahrez in 2017, Leicester still hold all the cards in terms of negotiating a transfer if that were to happen.

We heard quite a lot in November time about both Maddison and Soyuncu in contract talks. I think both (and maybe others) have probably stalled because of the real possibility of Champions League, and therefore a moving of the goalposts from all sides.

I expect it all to be done in the summer.

Edited by jeffschlupp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Better not drag on that long - needs to be done as soon as we know where we are re CL qualification.........

It doesn't need to be done at any stage, really. We weren't disturbed by Maguire hanging around until the last week of the window for example, so there's no negatives to waiting around if we think we can get a better deal financially.

His head has been turned and it's reflected in his performances.

The potential is there but he has a lot to learn and I question an attitude problem.

Provided we can get a decent sum for him in the summer (Which will be significantly lower if he doesn't sign a new contract - which is probably a reason why he is stalling signing one) i'd let him go.

If he wants to chase pound signs then so be it, who am I to judge, but as I did Maguire, i'd question his ambition.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

It doesn't need to be done at any stage, really. We weren't disturbed by Maguire hanging around until the last week of the window for example, so there's no negatives to waiting around if we think we can get a better deal financially.

if cags hadn’t worked out so well you wouldn’t be saying that ! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Better not drag on that long - needs to be done as soon as we know where we are re CL qualification.........

I think it`s fair to say that we will only qualify for Champions league football if Maddison don`t go missing in games and plays how we all know he can, the same remark would also apply to Chilwell.....

38 minutes ago, W88DY said:

I think it`s fair to say that we will only qualify for Champions league football if Maddison don`t go missing in games and plays how we all know he can, the same remark would also apply to Chilwell.....

Maybe Maddison isn't enjoying where he's playing. For me he's more effective just behind the striker/strikers. Since he's been told to player slightly deeper he's been less effective and certainly looked frustrated against Brum. Granted he was hobbling, but didn't look too happy to me. Chilwell is just down to confidence, or well, the lack of it. He looks completely shot of confidence in his ability at the moment. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Maybe Maddison isn't enjoying where he's playing. For me he's more effective just behind the striker/strikers. Since he's been told to player slightly deeper he's been less effective and certainly looked frustrated against Brum. Granted he was hobbling, but didn't look too happy to me. Chilwell is just down to confidence, or well, the lack of it. He looks completely shot of confidence in his ability at the moment. 

I think there might be something in that. He's been played behind Vardy, stuck out on the left (even when it's clear he's not effective there) and also played sitting deep and generally micro-managed. At times it seems as if he's not being allowed to use his own natural instincts which were successful for him at the start of the season. He now seems unsure of different roles seemingly trying to play to a script. He's therefore slower, not instinctive and noticeably taking more touches. 

• Like 1

One thing about Madders is that he doesn’t shirk responsibility even if he’s having a poor game ; that often coincides with us losing. I think he’s key to our success. Getting him playing well  and in his position behind 1 or 2 forwards is what we need to get back too. Our general malaise recently has resulted in him going back to be a water carrier not the piano player. Sorry for the mixed metaphor 😐

Sounds bad but I for one won’t miss him if he goes.

Got heaps of potential and ability but the love of himself far exceeds both. 

If he wants out and we can get a good price and get a hungrier, cheaper alternative then I’m all for it.

He’s had a decent season and a half here but that’s all it is. He’s a million miles away from legendary status and his recent performances have been ordinary to say the least.

If he wants to stay and try and fulfil that potential here then great. 

Not fussed either way. 

If Ndidi wanted to leave however..

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

No 10 is almost an obsolete position in the last couple of years for the majority of clubs.

I think he plays an attacking No8 really well and No10 is too much of a luxury.

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

No 10 is almost an obsolete position in the last couple of years for the majority of clubs.

I think he plays an attacking No8 really well and No10 is too much of a luxury.

He just needs to play closer to the front 2 Vardy and Nacho. He's not quick enough to be playing deeper and trying to get forward. His best position is across the line making and give wall passes into space for the other two.

Picking up a few Free kicks and Penalties along with a few Goals in the process.

I'd have Praet and Wilf behind him playing the deep midfield rolls.

8 hours ago, shanetko said:

Sounds bad but I for one won’t miss him if he goes.

Got heaps of potential and ability but the love of himself far exceeds both. 

If he wants out and we can get a good price and get a hungrier, cheaper alternative then I’m all for it.

He’s had a decent season and a half here but that’s all it is. He’s a million miles away from legendary status and his recent performances have been ordinary to say the least.

If he wants to stay and try and fulfil that potential here then great. 

Not fussed either way. 

If Ndidi wanted to leave however..

The problem is how long does the new younger hungrier play stay hungry for?

What recent experience has shown is that older players tend to be more motivated for the club, as they have less concern about a move up the ladder so to speak.  Younger players tend to be ambitious at a level above our standing.

If we are having to replace players every 2 years, that is going to require extraordinary luck in the scouting market to be sustainable

Edited by Chrysalis