Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

3 Players Show Signs/Symptoms of Coronavirus

Just now, StanSP said:

Nope! 

Thanks!

Such a sensible decision, but ruddy niggling not knowing who they are.

I'm assuming if they'd tested positive they would have stated so considering the people who have admitted their positive status, yeah?

10 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Is there any proof immunity will happen?

Or are we putting economic activity before the lives of the elderly?

Once you get a cold, you can't get it again. You can only catch other kinds of cold. (For reference, last I remember reading about this there's over 600 different strands of rhinovirus or common cold). This is the same for basically all kinds of virus that the human immune system can recover from (there are special cases such as HIV). So the people who get it, once they fully test negative for it, they will be immune. Enough people go through that and we will get something resembling herd immunity.

Basically just letting the virus run its course would kill hundreds of thousands of people in the UK though, potentially. To be quite honest I think the most sensible solution would be to quarantine the elderly away from society for their safety whilst we work on a cure, and let things take their course. This way hospitals won't be overburdened and the sickly in hospitals won't risk catching the coronavirus whilst their immune systems are weakened, plus the economy can function relatively normally. 

This won't be done however because it would be viewed as too authoritarian and ageist potentially...

3 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Once you get a cold, you can't get it again. You can only catch other kinds of cold. (For reference, last I remember reading about this there's over 600 different strands of rhinovirus or common cold). This is the same for basically all kinds of virus that the human immune system can recover from (there are special cases such as HIV). So the people who get it, once they fully test negative for it, they will be immune. Enough people go through that and we will get something resembling herd immunity.

Basically just letting the virus run its course would kill hundreds of thousands of people in the UK though, potentially. To be quite honest I think the most sensible solution would be to quarantine the elderly away from society for their safety whilst we work on a cure, and let things take their course. This way hospitals won't be overburdened and the sickly in hospitals won't risk catching the coronavirus whilst their immune systems are weakened, plus the economy can function relatively normally. 

This won't be done however because it would be viewed as too authoritarian and ageist potentially...

I think it’s being seriously considered ...... they chucked it out there for debate yesterday evening via Peston ....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

From my understanding, even if most of the UK does become immune, they’re still sacrificing the lives of the elderly and at risk.

There’s nothing in place to protect the vulnerable, both young and old. It’s mad.

Just now, Foxxed said:

From my understanding, even if most of the UK does become immune, they’re still sacrificing the lives of the elderly and at risk.

There’s nothing in place to protect the vulnerable, both young and old. It’s mad.

Healthy young people, are not apparently at risk ...... as far as the elderly are concerned, it’s political suicide for the govt to kill off many of their main support base so I don’t buy the argument that they will simply be left to take their chances ..... the immunity thing will be a consequence of the upcoming six months if their plan works .....and only those who have had it can be immune...... the idea being that if a big chunk of the population are immune then the virus finds it more difficult to spread next autumn/winter. 

7 minutes ago, sdb said:

Anyone know what the club/players are doing at the moment? Week off? Training in isolation? Business as usual (bar those quarantined)? 

Maddison was in Coventry this weekend. 

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Healthy young people, are not apparently at risk ...... as far as the elderly are concerned, it’s political suicide for the govt to kill off many of their main support base so I don’t buy the argument that they will simply be left to take their chances ..... the immunity thing will be a consequence of the upcoming six months if their plan works .....and only those who have had it can be immune...... the idea being that if a big chunk of the population are immune then the virus finds it more difficult to spread next autumn/winter. 

Unless the gov. is currently going for mass isolation, they’re already putting anyone with asthma, or related problem, and the elderly at risk, no?

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

You're right, the numbers we'd need to reach herd immunity would probably be unfeasible without exposing the virus to the elderly. Which is why I think they should be protected and isolated until a cure is reached. Regarding the part in bold, I was under the impression that children and the like are actually rather resistant to the coronavirus?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I think it’s being seriously considered ...... they chucked it out there for debate yesterday evening via Peston ....

That's interesting and makes me feel a bit better about things... After all, closing the entire country down for potentially months on end seems unfeasible.

4 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

If football players become inactive and stop training over the coming weeks and months, maybe they should donate some wages to the NHS some sort of sporting Aid for this Country 

The hospitality/leisure industry is going to be absolutely screwed by this. We are a service industry country and there are potentially many millions of companies that could go out of business.

Most of these companies will have to keep paying rent and rates but have little or no income, the biggest chains are most at risk, most can only operate for months with no income and poor cashflow. The real risk for the young/healthy in this is the loss of jobs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

You're right, the numbers we'd need to reach herd immunity would probably be unfeasible without exposing the virus to the elderly. Which is why I think they should be protected and isolated until a cure is reached. Regarding the part in bold, I was under the impression that children and the like are actually rather resistant to the coronavirus?

Not the young with respiratory problems. I have a friend in her 20s with respiratory problems and is on drugs to suppress her immune system. If she gets infected, it's not going well. The gov seems to be throwing her under the bus for about three months of increased economic activity while other countries isolate.

• Like 1

Just a short note from someone “enjoying” lockdown in Spain.  It is a little surreal but, in honesty, it feels it is the right course of action as cases tripled from around 2000 to 6000 in only three days.

Government is about showing leadership and taking these type of difficult decisions.  It is taken now and it will be interesting to see what impact it has. We are still able to go (not experienced it yet) to supermarkets and this is being part “controlled” so there is still the opportunity of cross contamination.

If you think about how this is growing I think it is inevitable that the UK will follow suit.  Prevarication is potentially dangerous and recovery likely to take longer.

One tip - do have access to things that can entertain you.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, blabyboy said:

Forced isolation also increases the chances of a stronger second or third wave, which in turn makes it harder to develop a vaccine.. which mutated strain are you going to try and stop/slowdown?? Also, when next winter comes around, those that survived the initial wave would have a greater chance of infection as there would be multiple strains and all without a viable vaccine.

Allowing the spread gives a better chance of herd immunity and self inoculation not only against this strain but others that will develop in the coming years.

Herding also helps to flatten the peak so your resources (the NHS) have a better chance of handling those infected.

Italy tried the lock down without much success, it's population percentage of older people is greater than ours. China is an unknown at present, they've locked down, but have now started reopening again so a key test will be to see if they get a strong second wave.

Is what you've written based on fact, fiction or as a result of your own thought process? If that sounds like a criticism it's not meant to be because we all, including me are guilty of the same. We simply regurgitate the last bit of what we deem to be credible information that we heard.

My understanding is that the mutation of viruses is not quite as you put it, yes they do mutate continually but it doesn't necessarily mean that they can't be successfully vaccinated against. Proof in the pudding is the current vaccination for seasonal flue that is available. It covers 'many flus' not separately, but more by  addressing certain similar weaknesses or flaws in each flus genetic makeup.

It's a very complex area of research and academia far beyond me and the average FT contributor Iwould suggest, hence we have to try and put our trust in those people who do know and rely on them to get us through this. What may seem a logical and common sense approah to us, based on what we believe we know, even whilst looking at others countries management of their situation is inherently flawed. I don't believe a 'one size fits all' response is always going to be right as this things passes round the world for a variety of medical, social, cultural and management reasons. 

https://www.scidev.net/global/disease/news/coronavirus-mutations-no-cause-for-alarm.html?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=c44c29c0f54ad407fe7b512749fe8b99155a4727-1584267414-0-ARSQGGJVfxO2aTrtoNkpf4HIptBl-qS7d0_gDN4NWwFxnON7SXgFdi8IMy3xlmSBvJUp5C3Hy3qdMea4FxAOqfgm0_QdsZuk_1wpyPtbIv7iGjoKbDzvltEoHiEN2adfKl0X0Fa1Lbi9cX4FelpfQ4vvNOh2sJZ2Us-paSEU2gQVuyrDvY8x6kKqWtN-LSKLfiAoYwis_1YxRkU1Juil6cA5nKfYfPb9A8iqXVWgoaw13Zb5-PzqkDWLxO4XI62k8ILwE_m3QAKBoNOt7-nne4kU9Zj0h-jESY52A-AQ1Jda-ow26I6Bl-VgyRH24qmizkZmhhlZnwQIVx2ibANskdyIbV_N1_5hBggUraHekSEr

• Like 1

There is no cure there may be a vaccine some months down the line.

If you have respiratory issues then you need to self preserve more than usual.

Remember when we were kids Chicken Pox,german measles,mumps before that rickets ,polio,we have come a long way but this is a step back 

• Like 1

It’s all about money and keeping the economy going for as long as possible. From videos I’ve seen with people with the virus, this herd mentality thing is bollocks, if we carry on the NHS will no way be able to cope; 30 / 40 year olds in intensive care- even if they survive they’ll have poor lung function for the rest of their lives. We should be in lockdown now. The world just unite and just shut for 3-6 months. Postpone mortgage payments; government help for bills etc, postpose as many bills as possible. China have gone extreme with this because they are the ones that knows fully what’s going on. Desperate times. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

It’s all about money and keeping the economy going for as long as possible. From videos I’ve seen with people with the virus, this herd mentality thing is bollocks, if we carry on the NHS will no way be able to cope; 30 / 40 year olds in intensive care- even if they survive they’ll have poor lung function for the rest of their lives. We should be in lockdown now. The world just unite and just shut for 3-6 months. Postpone mortgage payments; government help for bills etc, postpose as many bills as possible. China have gone extreme with this because they are the ones that knows fully what’s going on. Desperate times. 

If you could get global agreement on this strategy then it’s a possible solution .......

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

The young are, unless pre existing health condition 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanlegend said:

Think it is the only solution.Organising it though would be frought with problems.I cannot see any other outcome but financial collapse,if we continue as we are.

2 hours ago, turkish14 said:

The young are, unless pre existing health condition 

The current evidence suggests that children can certainly catch Covid19 but generally don’t suffer much with it. However the vulnerable and immuno compromised would be high risk. Children are not exactly renowned for covering a cough and sneeze! As a Paediatric Nurse with Asthma I am worried about going back to work after leave. I am not able to look after symptomatic patients or confirmed patients. I can’t even be fitted for a mask. Safety precautions are in place to keep me and fellow colleagues with health vulnerabilities. When self isolation for the vulnerable and old is brought in, I will not be able to work 😔

Edited by DerbyshireFox