Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Exactly, football is either OK to resume or it isn't until a vaccine is rolled out. I don't see how it all suddenly becomes easy to navigate otherwise. We either accept the infections and people getting ill/some dying or we shut up shop on everything for 2 years and the knock on effect will be monumental. 

Not necessarily - as the infection rate decreases restrictions are gradually being eased. It could get to the stage where football is allowed. Of course the problem without the vaccine is that it could be halted again at any time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

So what do you want to do? Open everything? Go back to some kind of normality?

Germany and South Korea have eased restrictions for a few days and are already seeing more infections.

So what if the figures suggest 1% die? That's 1% too much.

I take it you'd be happy if some of that 1% would be a member of your family then?

The figures don't suggest that 1% die, or anything like that.  Especially for footballers.

So far in this country, up to 24th April which is the last full week that was available a few days ago when I last looked, the number of dead under 35 years old was 109.  That's a bit less than 3 per million.  The vast majority of those were already seriously ill.  Yes, it may be that for every person in a million who dies, two or three more may have permanent side effects; but it's still not a big risk. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fox in the sox said:

Not necessarily - as the infection rate decreases restrictions are gradually being eased. It could get to the stage where football is allowed. Of course the problem without the vaccine is that it could be halted again at any time.

Exactly.  They'd look pretty stupid abandoning this season now, and then getting half way through next season and having to do the same again.  Makes more sense to press on when we can, hoping for no further disruptions of course, but playing on as best we can, when we can.

Maybe the footballers are worried about vulnerable family or friends mainly overseas ?

I think if kept in hotels and testing regularly the players will be ok but like any human they will worry about others.

There will be many vulnerable who work but have to to be shielded from all this and not see their families or friends.

I agree the season should be finished if possible.

Seems the only sticking point ATM is the neutral grounds stuff which is advice from the the Government and police so the PL can hardly go against it.

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Well thats it, as soon as people come in to contact with one another again its going to spread and it's the willingness of everyone involved to put up with that, otherwise its going to be chaos. 

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to the national feeling towards this virus shifting to "it's something that's there that we live with" 

At the minute too many people are so scared and incapable of long term thought that there'll be too much outrage at people trying to get on with life. Once parts of our society and culture start to collapse and disappear, surely it'll just be a matter of time before other stuff follows.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I 1--% agree that I will support any individual who chooses not to work and prefers to take furlough wages instead.  (His colleagues who do need to work might be less supportive.)  But I haven't heard any footballer saying that he thinks it is too dangerous to play and he wants to go on furlough; the opinion seems to be that it is too dangerous to play and he wants his wages anyway.  For that, I have no sympathy at all.

...should the Premier League and the other UK leagues decide to go ahead to conclude this season, I think you will find there will be teams under powered due to players not willing to play. There may not be a cacophony of dissenting players voices (and I suspect the amount is sizeable), but you are not going to get teams at full strength and so long as the players support each other, then no strong arming by the individual clubs will change this.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

If this was to happen then you'd need to say the CL and EL should be based on current positions otherwise it will be unfair on those clubs in those position to finish the season at neutral venues. So the only reason to complete the season would be money but all the games would in effect be pointless (literally and figuratively)

I'm not convinced I'd be interested in watching these games with there being no reason for them other than to get my money off me.

I have to agree. No relegation, no point. The games effectively become friendlies and for that we can wait until next pre-season.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Well thats it, as soon as people come in to contact with one another again its going to spread and it's the willingness of everyone involved to put up with that, otherwise its going to be chaos. 

Well as someone at risks I'm happy to stay isolated and let those fit, young, healthy people get on with their lives provided the resources for testing, ppi, and hospital facilities are available, that people are not to forced to work in unsafe environments and are financially supported and the government keeps a close eye on the spread of the virus.

People need to be free to decide at some point.

• Like 1

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...should the Premier League and the other UK leagues decide to go ahead to conclude this season, I think you will find there will be teams under powered due to players not willing to play. There may not be a cacophony of dissenting players voices (and I suspect the amount is sizeable), but you are not going to get teams at full strength and so long as the players support each other, then no strong arming by the individual clubs will change this.

If players are not willing to play they should have given up their wages long ago and should now retire until they feel able to play.

Under_powered teams would be a nuisance but then again injuries cause under-powered teams every week of the season.

Not sure why you see footballers as anything other than a normal worker. People have to get back to work.

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

If they wont  play then they should drop to furlough pay like everyone else, it's as simple as that.

No business can survive paying out millions with no income. Football is not immune. If your product has gone, your insolvent.

The reality is people have to get back to it (footballers included) over the next few months. Anything else is long term economic suicide.

We seem to have created a nation of agrophobics now when it comes to reality which is a huge problem. Yet it's ok to go to b and q.  Bizarre!

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

If this was to happen then you'd need to say the CL and EL should be based on current positions otherwise it will be unfair on those clubs in those position to finish the season at neutral venues. So the only reason to complete the season would be money but all the games would in effect be pointless (literally and figuratively)

I'm not convinced I'd be interested in watching these games with there being no reason for them other than to get my money off me.

Absolutely. How is it fair we one team going for champions league spots gets to play all the teams that cant be relegated, yet another team has more games against challengers. Pure backwards stupidity.  

We have to just get on with it as close to how it should be

To be honest if it helps dont play at neutral venues whatever, if people are stupid enough to go and stand outside grounds that's their watch. 

• Like 1

At this rate we may as well sit a nominated player from each club at a PC  to complete the season via the FIFA 20. 

What’s the point in taking any risks whatsoever for glorified friendlies ???

and to say to clubs that they risk more money if they don’t play than if they are relegated is almost nonsense - given the state of the game likely next year with no fans for a large part of the season, imagine West Ham’s financial position if they went down ......... 

• Like 3

If the season went on with no relegation then the teams in the relegation zone just now should get the corresponding prize money for those positions. They cant expect the threat of relegation to be taken away but still have the prospect of a bigger prize reward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

At this rate we may as well sit a nominated player from each club at a PC  to complete the season via the FIFA 20. 

Already been done, there was an E Fifa (something like that) tournament at the weekend. Madders won, beat Shef U in the final.

Send the PL trophy now. Unlucky Liverpool.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Could you imagine games being played if there was no relegation, IE, 80% of the league having nothing to play for? No fans, no consequences for the vast majority of teams playing. Farcical. 

Especially as UEFA have already clearly stated sporting merit can decide unfinished European places in domestic leagues. Purely playing it to not lose the TV money for the final quarter of the season. Pitiful.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Already been done, there was an E Fifa (something like that) tournament at the weekend. Madders won, beat Shef U in the final.

Send the PL trophy now. Unlucky Liverpool.

Yes I know I watched them. 

It's not greatly surprising to me that some foreign players might not be very keen to return to England. Maybe some would have to have 14 days in quarantine. Then they'd face the risk of catching the virus, possibly causing long-term lung damage. And what for? Merely to honour contracts that may soon be ending and to try to win games that may not really matter, inside virtually empty stadiums.   

No this isn't whats happening; when the bottom 8 clubs all want relegation off the table before agreeing to return then that's exactly the case, they don't want to be relegated and are fighting it to stop that happening.

Every player has a right to be concerned for their health, but when their clubs have literally said they're fighting against returning to prevent relegation he has no legs to stand on

• Like 2