Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

City players you think have been underrated

1) Matty James - He’s had his injuries which most people focus on, but I think some forget how good a fully fit Matty James was. So comfortable on the ball and made the game look easy at times. Don’t know if he’ll ever get fully fit and play again, but I’d love to see him spend a full season on loan at an Aston Villa type team where he would play every week in the Premier League. Genuinely think he would have played for England if he had stayed injury free.

2) Harvey Barnes is criminally underrated outside of Leicester. His goals/assists combined are on a par with Grealish and outweigh Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Fidel and any other English player aside from Sterling, Vardy and TAA - yet never spoken about in terms of an England call up, or in the same bracket as those guys.

3) See the worst Leicester X1 thread, so many names in there that weren’t that bad! Keith Gillespie, Hernandez, Big Benny always had a bad rap too, yet had some solid performances at the back for us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Is Albrighton really under-rated?

There's a thread started on here nigh on every time he turns in a decent performance and the near overwhelming consensus is that he's been great for us, and that his current status as a squad player is just about right. 

To be fair, as soon as every thread comes up a few people come out of the fold to tell everyone that Albrighton is absolutely dreadful now and should be nowhere near the squad so I think it can seem like people underrate him a lot.

1 hour ago, MGLCFC said:

Always thought Dean Hammond was reliable. Just did his role effectively with limited ability.

I think football has a way of really underestimating how good reliable players, who just do there job are.

I look at players at Liverpool like Milner and Henderson and they don’t just get underrated, some actually call them shit. Danny Simpson is another for us, nothing flash, just came in did his job and that was it. 

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

See the worst Leicester X1 thread, so many names in there that weren’t that bad! Keith Gillespie, Hernandez, Big Benny always had a bad rap too, yet had some solid performances at the back for us.

I'm still having flashbacks to watching Benny and Fuchs at CB against Spurs 

16 hours ago, Toddybad said:

Modern day:

1. Chilwell. Quality player just not in form. Doesn't mean he won't be in form again. 

2. Vardy. Although highly regarded I don't think others realise just how brilliant he is.

3. Drinkwater. Gets a lot of grief now about having ideas above his station but for a good 18 months he was proper England quality.

Older:

1. Kevin Poole. Much better than many give him credit for.

2. Lloyd Dyer. Need I say more?

3. Wellens. Lots of grief but was decent enough for where we were imo. It was those around him that were pap.

Kevin Poole is a massive shout. An absolutely rock solid goalkeeper. If he was a bit taller he likely would have spent many years in the top flight.

For me

1) Underrated by us - Frank Sinclair. He scored a couple of ridiculous own goals that is a lot of peoples main memory of him, but he was a very decent performer for us overall.

2) Underrated by other fans - Hard to disagree with Vardy. 

3) Player thought as awful but not as bad as that - Ian Ormondroyd. Yes he was a gangly freak of nature, but he played an important role for us at times, especially towards the end of the 93-94 promotion season.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, boots60 said:

Jon Sammels

While the sheer flair of Wortho, Weller & Glover was brilliant to watch it is often forgotten that most of our decent attacks were orchestrated by Sammels.

Not a prolific goalscorer but superb creative midfielder.

Agree about Jon Sammels - got a fair amount of stick but struck me as a very intelligent player. Superb passer of the ball.

Also from that era (ish) I'd mention Rod Fern (Rod-neeee!) as a player often derided by other teams' fans  who was actually pretty bloody good.

A fairly obscure one from the 60s I'd go for was Paul Matthews. Frail-looking and slight, the heavy pitches and agricultural tackling of the era weren't kind to him, and there was often a few moans round Filbert Street when he came on, but I saw a very capable and - again - intelligent footballer there. Would have been better suited to the modern game I think.

• Like 1

Man there are so many you could list here! I think in general we have as a fan base many underrated players that we've seen play for us. Here are some that spring to my mind.

Matt Elliott. We all love him, but when the conversation for "best defender we've ever had" comes up, his name never seems to be mentioned. I think he could easily have played for a much bigger club that Leicester and looked good for them. Plus his contribution for us in terms of goals and silverware is phenomenal. I also love that he's still involved with the club on the website too.

Gerry Taggart. Similar reasons to Elliott. Not as good as the former, but a super solid professional who never let us down, and who was very decent.

Andy Impey. Very solid pro who did a good job for us. Put in that great cross for *that* Muzzy Izzet goal! Frank Sinclair worth a mention for similar reasons too.

Matt Fryatt. A goal machine when we needed it the most. Top class as a person too.

David Nugent. Loved the Nuge! A really talented player who made a huge contribution to our club. Always welcome back at the ground, whenever I see him, I am very happy. Some of his goals and link-up play were top class.

Matty James. He's become the butt of all of the injury related jokes due to his unfortunate circumstances, but he was brilliant for us in the Championship. If you had have asked me in the Championship promotion season which Leicester player would be capped for England first, he would have been my answer.

Danny Simpson. Ricardo has left him in the shade, but Simmo redeemed himself at our club and became a fans favourite. Super reliable and did the donkey work so Mahrez could work his magic up field.

Marc Albrighton. Can't believe the stick he gets on here at times. He may not be Luis Figo, but the guy gives 110% every time he plays. I absolutely loved that he was our first ever Champions League goal scorer, because he deserved something like that to become infamous in his own right. His performance against Sevilla at home in the UCL last 16 was phenomenal.

I could go on and on. This is a very nice thread to read and reminisce about during these strange times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve Guppy.

Think his stats were unbelievable, same assist ratio as Beckham at that point;

but because he played for unfashionable Leicester he never got much of a sniff for England (1 game was it?) 

The best crosser of a ball for us in my life time (37)

To think that Darren Anderton (who never even played for club) got into the England team ahead of him?!? 

Edited by Foxandfolly
  • Like 2

Ian Wilson.

The forward line of that team is always remembered as Lynex, Lineker, Smith.  They were great but so was Wilson on the left.  Quality player just not as quick or flash as the others. 

That team should have achieved far more.

edit - Mark Wallington is another that was probably underrated.

Yes, I was an eightes child. 

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2