Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

City players you think have been underrated

A thread to list players that you think are underrated in history. Answer the following 

1) a player our fans underrated /underrate

2) a player other fans underrated/underrate

3) a player people thought was awful but wasnt as bad as people seem to remember

I'll start

1) Paddy Kisnorbo... I loved this guy, a terrible cm but when he moved to cb he was so solid. If he didnt get injured at Sheffield Wednesday we would have stayed up. 

2) Dave Nugent, was always slated by my mates for being awful, won a bet off my mate about him bagging over 20 in a season for us

3) Jordan Stewart, there was a thread last week putting him in our worst 11.... never in a million years should he be near that list. 

27 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Jeff.

He was touted as the next big thing when he was coming through. He had a very good loan spell away from the club  came back scoring a hat-trick on his debut and even had a trial at Man Utd in his early days with us.

It turned out he was never good enough to break through as a striker or a left-back for us though and ended up more often than not on the left wing.

He scored a very important goal in the away fixture against Norwich in the title-winning season and he did play his part in that campaign, deserving his winner's medal.

However, he could never really hold on to a first XI spot, but he's gone to a good club in Crystal Palace under a very good manager in Roy Hodgson and is regularly contributing in a very functional team that at one point looked like they might challenge for European football this season.

When his career ends he'll be a Premier League winner and will have many top flight appearances to his name, yet was only ever really a bit-part player here.

When we played Watford away,during the run of 1 nil wins.He came on and totally changed the game.I seem to remember him playing a bit more centrally during that one.His cross for Kamaric in the FA Cup v Villa the year before was a thing of beauty.He did a good shift in those exciting seasons.

Infuriates me when anybody calls him crap.My Dad included,ok he’s no world beater but he’s gone from our youth team to having a

decent career at the top level.If he was going to be a world beater Fergie would’ve signed him.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Wellens got all sorts of wrongly directed shit.

Agree. Wellens was solid for us, probably our best central midfielder since Izzet (although I did think Oakley was solid too but we just saw the back end of his career really).

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

Just now, Reg Vardy said:

Scott Taylorone of a new midfield with Izzet and Lennon, arguably the best player of the three, career ruined by injury, who knows what we would have achieved if he had stayed fi

Loved Taylor. That 95/96 promotion season he was brilliant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

3) Jordan Stewart, there was a thread last week putting him in our worst 11.... never in a million years should he be near that list. 

Absolutely agree. I couldn't believe it when I saw his name in that list. Had that guy never seen Jordan Stewart play? One of the better players to come through our youth team

• Like 2

1) definitely Wellens, Drinkwater or Gallagher - all players that were reliant on others making good movement

2) Albrighton

3) Jimmy Willis - prone to an own goal or red card on occasion but I seem to remember (possibly unreliably) that he was one of our best performers in 94/95

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

Scott Taylorone of a new midfield with Izzet and Lennon, arguably the best player of the three, career ruined by injury, who knows what we would have achieved if he had stayed fi

Absolutely, remember in particular a game away at WBA, where we played some of the best football I’d ever seen from us and were 3-0 up at half time. Taylor ran the show with Gary Parker that day and we played modern day Barcelona style possession football perfectly. - I may be remembering this over fondly but remember at half time thinking this could be 10 here the way we are playing. 

At the other end Kalac made a name for himself for the wrong reasons and dropped cross after cross and it finishes 3-2 but Taylor was magnificent that day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1