Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

FIFA Proposes up to 5 Substituions per Game

At first I thought this might be a rule being brought in just for the rumoured upcoming "behind closed doors" end to seasons around Europe, but it looks like it will be a permanent change. This would change football massively IMO, as it would allow teams to play an even higher intensity pressing game knowing you could sub 3 players and still have 2 left to make tactical changes. It would also add a lot of stoppages to games I would imagine.

An interesting development for sure.

6 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

With how much time wasting takes a toll already I wouldn't want this if they add in some rules to combat time wasting and a way to award teams the proper extra time they deserve then I would be in favor.

Absolutely this. 

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

At first I thought this might be a rule being brought in just for the rumoured upcoming "behind closed doors" end to seasons around Europe, but it looks like it will be a permanent change. This would change football massively IMO, as it would allow teams to play an even higher intensity pressing game knowing you could sub 3 players and still have 2 left to make tactical changes. It would also add a lot of stoppages to games I would imagine.

An interesting development for sure.

What does this mean? I'm confused

FIFA's proposed rule change that would enable Premier League clubs to make more than five substitutions in a match would also apply next season.

The temporary change needs IFAB approval before it can go ahead, but has been suggested to help players returning to action amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Teams will still only have three slots apiece, as well as the half-time interval, in which to complete the substitutions to avoid unnecessary stoppages.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

FIFA's proposed rule change that would enable Premier League clubs to make more than five substitutions in a match would also apply next season.

The temporary change needs IFAB approval before it can go ahead, but has been suggested to help players returning to action amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Teams will still only have three slots apiece, as well as the half-time interval, in which to complete the substitutions to avoid unnecessary stoppages.

That's a good find!

I imagine that means you can only make changes at 3 prefixed time slots, maybe at 30m, 45m and 60m? That would stop the game turning into international football where teams make 8 changes each and destroy the flow of the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

so that means at least one would have to be a double substitution. It sort of makes sense as a temporary measure in order to complete fixtures where squads may have reduced fitness levels after a lengthy lockdown period but not sure i would like to see this made permanent, except maybe as an extension to the ruling for extra time being played where in some competitions an additional sub can be used in that period.

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's a good find!

I imagine that means you can only make changes at 3 prefixed time slots, maybe at 30m, 45m and 60m? That would stop the game turning into international football where teams make 8 changes each and destroy the flow of the game.

If they're going to do this they might as well go the whole hog and allow the whole 25 main squad to be available as subs. Because 5 out of 7 is going to be difficult to pre-judge the make up of the 7.

4 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Personally I like the idea of 5 substitutions. It would help with squad management and could improve the game for viewers for example games where teams try and park the bus and scrape a boring 0-0 draw. 

Why does this stop teams doing that?

Has nobody at FIFA even watched an international friendly in the last 20 years?? More subs will just loose any flow the game has at all, make it more tactical and easy to protect a lead and “park the bus “ and once again suit the big boys better. The likes of Utd and Chelsea have a squad stacked full of internationals who cost tens of millions to bring on. 

16 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I don't like the idea of more subs, how would people feel about 60 minute games to allow the season to end quicker and squeeze more games into a shorter period?

If the rules are to be changed half way through, just bin the season. It’s either played properly or not at all in my opinion.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, davieG said:

If they're going to do this they might as well go the whole hog and allow the whole 25 main squad to be available as subs. Because 5 out of 7 is going to be difficult to pre-judge the make up of the 7.

Would love to see an ice hockey style trial where you can change your whole team but doing you have to do it while play is continuing.

Why not have rolling subs like we used to in the veterans leagues. Still only 3 subs can be used but they can roll on and off. gives players a break (most of us were glad of a ten minute break midway through being somewhat past our physical prime), allows for a short term tactical change etc. This could then be used if a player requires treatment, they have to go off the field immediately and be replaced, with the option of coming back on later (possibly in a different position/formation). This would certainly stop some of the time wasting and play acting, as there is no guarantee that once taken off that player would necessarily get back on again. There would need to be limits such as each sub can only be rotated a maximum of say 2 or 3 times in a game. 

55 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Why does this stop teams doing that?

Shutting up shop against a team for 90 minutes is a lot harder when the opposition can make 5 subs rather than 3. Just think, teams under the new rules could sub on two players who are quality in the air to start peppering the opposition with crosses from out wide. Adds a whole other view point to the game. Wes Morgan coming on as a make shift target man for the last 10 minutes of the game when 1-0 down away from home anyone?