Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

8 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Until Ben arrived and his assets were analysed, none of us realised this was even a skill. I’m not even sure it is now. 😂

It is useful. We certainly missed it in the restart, along with Maddison, we often had no way of getting the ball up the field apart from giving it to Iheanacho and praying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannythefox said:

Going 150 pages this 🤦🏻‍♂️

And the rest.   This will be a Maynard+.  Page after page after page of baseless speculation.

Just now, Hales said:

Apparently Fabrizio Romano has said reports a deal are close are premature and it's not the case at all. It seems Chelsea are prioritising Havertz at the moment.   

So it looks as though mightyfin is again on the ball.... 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

It is useful. We certainly missed it in the restart, along with Maddison, we often had no way of getting the ball up the field apart from giving it to Iheanacho and praying.

...not sure about this, Paul Reaney was a terrific defender who got up and down the pitch very well!!!

The main thing with Reaney was having got into the position, he put in fantastic crosses. Just getting into the position means nothing, it is what you do when you get there that counts.The amount of balls he cleared off the line saved that team so many points.Defenders bursting a lung to get up the pitch is nothing new.

One of the only players that I wished I could be.....immense!!

17 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I’m still getting my head round this being a skill tbh. I’d call it shuffling the ball inside to Soyuncu but I’ll take your word for it - can I suggest a chant for Benny ‘Lord Progress’ Chilwell....

Progresses it well!

progresses it well!

benny chilwell!

progresses it well! 

Edited by funkyrobot

8 minutes ago, Sly said:

This has all gone very quiet. Are we assuming that this was all smoke and mirrors from the gutter press, as according to them, it should have been done by now.

Fabrizio Romano said it's not close to being done. I'm assuming they are prioritising Havertz then will see what their budget is left? It's all gone quiet across social media..... 

To be honest everything is eerily quiet. No transfer news, no back to training photos like every other club, no pre-season friendly info, no sponsor info on the new training kit...... I could go on! 🙄😜

Edited by Hales

Honestly the more I think of it the more ludicrous the price is for a lad that dribbles the ball out of play and miscues crosses so much. He's not the type of player that's gonna improve their squad a great deal, yet they're willing to offer in excess of £60 million. This is the summer to sell for sure. His market valuation is way above what it should be at the minute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would be very happy if they signed Havertz. I've a conspiracy theory that Lampard has no idea what he's doing with these signings. How on earth is he going to fit Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech and Werner into a balanced side, I don't understand. Whilst Havertz is a fairly flexible player, he has a very low work rate, so playing him as an 8 wouldn't work too well in the PL I don't think. His definite best position is second striker, also Werner's best position, who by the way has thought his career struggled as a single striker as his holdup play is notoriously poor, he becomes easy to mark out the game.

Already you have two players who like to play in a very similar position who have specific attributes which means you have to tailor your formation and system to them. Add in Ziyech. He has the workrate to succeed in the PL, but is a winger who likes to float inside to the 10 position, like a budget Messi, which could be a problem, as that is the zone where Havertz likes to play. In addition, potentially his only real weakness is how often he loses the ball - you would need a strong midfield and right back to cover for that, without considering that Havertz has such a low defensive workrate which will compound that workload. To add to this, Kanté has struggled a lot with injuries recently, which would leave the midfield very light of solid defensive presence.

Lampard has said he doesn't like playing with two strikers, which means if he does play Werner by himself there will probably be issues in his buildup. If this weren't the case, he could rip off Nagelsmann's 4-2-2-2 with 

__________Werner Giroud

__Pulisic_________________Ziyech

__________Kovacic Kanté

Azpilicueta Rudiger Zouma James

Which would probably work, although it would leave their theoretical record signing on the bench lol. But he says he doesn't want to play two strikers, so he would be left with something like

_______Pulisic Werner Ziyech

______Havertz Kovacic Kanté

Azpilicueta Rudiger Zouma James

That midfield looks so easy to overrun, even with Kanté fit (which he may not be too often if he continues to struggle with injuries). Werner and Ziyech would lose lots of balls, leaving them with a lot of work, and Havertz would be so easy to push out of the game. You could try a 4-2-3-1, but it would leave Havertz, Ziyech and Werner all trying to play in the same area.

Of course, Lampard may have some wizard plan that will mould all these players into the perfect fits for his system. And I will end up with egg on my face. But just the same, I hope they sign Havertz...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Tbf, with a player like Kanté it's mad that Chelsea don't play an extra attacking player and let Kanté do what he is best at.

They've had the misfortune of two managers in a row who refuse to do so, and it seems that they may have wasted his prime whilst doing so.

• Like 1