Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I think he will hand one in too, he'll be going from about £55k a week here to possibly quadruple that so the loss of a loyalty bonus will quite quickly be replenished.

I was just thinking this. Either it’s well worth it for him to hand a transfer request in (so it’s likely a package has been offered already) or he just really wants to live in London/play for Chelsea. 

Any idea what his loyalty bonus is? 

1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

I was just thinking this. Either it’s well worth it for him to hand a transfer request in (so it’s likely a package has been offered already) or he just really wants to live in London/play for Chelsea. 

There's rumours its worth up to 10% of any transfer fee but I find that astonishing, especially as agents get a cut as well.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Been told by someone who works with Chelsea, I used to work in football and we went to uni together. I’ve been told it’s over £60 million but don’t know the exact figures obviously. Chilwell is adamant about leaving to go to Chelsea, doesn’t want to go anywhere else and again take it with a pinch of salt but apparently he’s prepared to hand in a transfer request if needed to get it over the line. 

I'd love us to hold out for near to £70million but I don't think that'll happen. If he goes, then he goes. But it surely just further highlights how if players want to develop into world class talents, then we are a brilliant place to come to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

...a few Million I should think!!!

It will help to offset our other costs and perhaps bring the price down.

7 minutes ago, Adster said:

How many posts in what timespan makes a thread go "Hot"? 

Miss the days of a thread going hot and there was some actual news.....

Thats the downside to our club keeping everything in house, its boring.

Guest An Sionnach

It seems to me there will be more disappointment if he stays than if he goes. There is no guarantee that any fee received will be spent on other players of similar value , Southampton never do that.

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

So you're expecting a mod to trawl through every post to see if there's anything of substance to update it? They do have lives outside of this forum as well. 

Oh, no. They told me you were doing it. :D

I think a fair summary is:

- Chelsea want Chilwell

- Chilwell wants Chelsea

- LCFC want over £60mn with most of it up front.

- Probably just needs Chelsea to pay a bit extra, pay it all upfront, or Chilwell stick in a transfer request.

For those who wanted an update - there it is!

• Like 2

On 16/08/2020 at 01:20, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Do you think the owners genuinely think we can "compete at the very top" over a sustained period of time?

What does this even suggest - that we could be regular title contenders over the next 10-20 years?

Spurs, for example, are a much more established top flight club than us yet have been in 1 or 2 title races in living memory.

Arsenal and Manchester United haven't been close to the title for a while.

Even Manchester City finished 18pts off the champions this season - MUFC and Chelsea were 33pts adrift, Spurs 40 pts and Arsenal 43.

Look at what the established 'big six' can spend on wages and transfers compared to us.

Having ambition is one thing (and realistic ambition should be applauded) but I'd be very surprised to see us getting close to what we achieved in that magical 15/16 season.

I'm of a vintage where I still can't believe we're breaking into the top six and playing in Europe through league position.

Call it "loser mentality" or whatever the current cool phrase is but we need to deal in a certain amount of realism.

If we can challenge the top six (or even top four) on a regular/semi-regular basis and going deep in cups - before potentially building to something better - that's something we should look at first.

Selling Chilwell for 60-70m doesn't necessarily show a lack of ambition. It won't necessarily weaken us if we recruit well.

For example, we looked better defensively this season even after flogging Maguire for 80m.

Some of our fanbase suddenly seem to think we should be Barcelona and the turning up of noses at players from Burnley or Bournemouth.

100% this, I’ve had a few conversations regarding this of late. The best example I use is what Tottenham achieved. That all started with Harry Redknapp then the money from the Bale sale, gave them the opportunity to establish themselves as a top 6 club. For me this is the model we should follow.

If we can compete with the top 6 year in, year out then I for one would be ecstatic.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2020 at 01:20, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Do you think the owners genuinely think we can "compete at the very top" over a sustained period of time?

What does this even suggest - that we could be regular title contenders over the next 10-20 years?

Spurs, for example, are a much more established top flight club than us yet have been in 1 or 2 title races in living memory.

Arsenal and Manchester United haven't been close to the title for a while.

Even Manchester City finished 18pts off the champions this season - MUFC and Chelsea were 33pts adrift, Spurs 40 pts and Arsenal 43.

Look at what the established 'big six' can spend on wages and transfers compared to us.

Having ambition is one thing (and realistic ambition should be applauded) but I'd be very surprised to see us getting close to what we achieved in that magical 15/16 season.

I'm of a vintage where I still can't believe we're breaking into the top six and playing in Europe through league position.

Call it "loser mentality" or whatever the current cool phrase is but we need to deal in a certain amount of realism.

If we can challenge the top six (or even top four) on a regular/semi-regular basis and going deep in cups - before potentially building to something better - that's something we should look at first.

Selling Chilwell for 60-70m doesn't necessarily show a lack of ambition. It won't necessarily weaken us if we recruit well.

For example, we looked better defensively this season even after flogging Maguire for 80m.

Some of our fanbase suddenly seem to think we should be Barcelona and the turning up of noses at players from Burnley or Bournemouth.

Only comment I will make to this is, defensively we have been poor.

Whenever we in a game and have to defend, we nearly always have conceded..  But also was gradually getting worse as the season went on, so the trend is very worrying.  Again "have" to look at the "momentum" not just a simplistic season as a whole.  I dont think Maguire had much of an effect on this though.  So thats the bit I agree with you on that selling him didnt hurt us too much.

On 16/08/2020 at 11:25, Pliskin said:

I am very surprised some people are suggesting it’s good for the club. Is it not the ambition of the club to compete with top teams? 

What annoys me is every summer transfer window we hear the same old crap “none of our key players are for sale” so Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Maguire and now potentially Chillwell all leave..... Don’t come out and say things like this if it isn’t true, we’re constantly selling our best assets to bigger clubs, and one day it will undo us. As mentioned Chilly isn’t perfect, but he is probably better than what we could replace him with in the time we have, plus it’s another position we then need to worry about replacing. 

We are forever taking strides forwards, and then leaps backwards, we’re no different to Southampton these days, it was the aim of the club to break the mould after we won the PL, and consistently battle with the top teams, not sell them all of our assets. There’s no need for us to keep selling them, we don’t need to, especially to rival teams. We need to decide what we want as a club and stick with it, if we want to compete with the big clubs then we need to start to act like one and I’m not talking about spending millions, just retaining our best players whilst adding good young players to the mix. Or are we are satisfied with battling for Europa? It annoys me that one week Brendan is saying it would take a world record fee to take Chillwell away from the club, and then the papers are reporting differently. Doesn’t send out a good message. I understand every players have a price, but we frankly look a bit stupid, when we say they’re not for sale and then months later they’re gone. The bank may look healthy but we will have this constant battle to replace players we lose.  

I would agree if he was a Mahrez, but he isnt, he's an "ok" player.  But is valuable because he is an English international.

Just now, dannythefox said:

I’m not sure but if it was that bad wouldn’t he be needing treatment every couple of days? Been on his jolly’s for 2 weeks.

If he's just resting and not able to run etc, nothing wrong with being on holiday relaxing.