Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

33 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

What would a multimillionaire footballer keep in a locker that they’d consider so important that they simply had to go and fetch it and couldn’t move to their next multi-million

contract without taking with them? A lucky jock-strap? Shin-pads that carry an emotional attachment ? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The shin pads thing isn’t as daft as it sounds. I watched something once about the kit man for a league club. He said that a lot of professional footballers still wear their shin pads they had as kids (insert joke about Grealish) and they never change them. The kit staff have to be very careful when packing up so they don’t lose them as they have sentimental value to the player they belong to - it’s not like their other bits they can just get their sponsor to send more of. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

What would a multimillionaire footballer keep in a locker that they’d consider so important that they simply had to go and fetch it and couldn’t move to their next multi-million

contract without taking with them? A lucky jock-strap? Shin-pads that carry an emotional attachment ? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

A favourite photo of him with James ? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, manders86 said:

😲 high praise indeed.

Are we missing something? Good player is Ben, but top 3 left back in the World? Surely not? 

It's why we've rated him at £80million. We do have the second best full back pairing in the Prem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's why we've rated him at £80million. We do have the second best full back pairing in the Prem.

I'm not doubting that we have a good pairing. Ricardo being streets ahead of Ben at present (or before his injury) Surely he isn't in the best 3 left backs in the world though? 

4 minutes ago, manders86 said:

I'm not doubting that we have a good pairing. Ricardo being streets ahead of Ben at present (or before his injury) Surely he isn't in the best 3 left backs in the world though? 

There aren't too many better at what he is good at, progressing the ball up the pitch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

There aren't too many better at what he is good at, progressing the ball up the pitch. 

Until Ben arrived and his assets were analysed, none of us realised this was even a skill. I’m not even sure it is now. 😂

• Haha 3

Guest An Sionnach
2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

How would he compare to Maldini and Roberto Carlos? Its a sign of the times and the lowering of standards.The only current players who would rank highly in historical terms are all strikers and only one of them Mbappe is under 30.

Edited by An Sionnach

The thing with Ben is that he is so good at getting up the pitch, he is often in dangerous areas and we expect him to deliver like a winger. 

We'd probably think he was a better player if he spent less time getting into dangerous positions and thats the harsh reality of it. 

We can ignore the poor crosses when we are winning, but in games we are chasing and teams camp, watching the ball continuously worked out to him to fluff a cross is up there with the most frustrating thing we do. 

He's still a great player imo but being honest he's nowhere near top of his trade.

• Like 4

I don’t think you can really separate them.

Davies, Robertson, Grimaldo, Alaba, Sandro, Chilwell, Telles, Taglifico, Guerriro, Gosens, Hernandez, F Mendy, B Mendy, Marcelo, Pavard and Alba. 

We’ll each have our own opinion. I rate Chilwell within the top 15 in the world, not sure he’s top 3!!

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

When playing for my pub team I always felt that progressing the ball up the pitch was my main attribute.

It went unrecognised back then, perhaps I was just ahead of my time.:)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spiritwalker said:

When playing for my pub team I always felt that progressing the ball up the pitch was my main attribute.

It went unrecognised back then, perhaps I was just ahead of my time.:)

I suppose it depends upon how you progress it. 

I used to play LB Sunday League and my preferred way of progressing the ball up the pitch was to put my size nines through it as hard as I could.

I slipped through the net too, sadly.

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

How would he compare to Maldini and Roberto Carlos? Its a sign of the times and the lowering of standards.The only current players who would rank highly in historical terms are all strikers and only one of them Mbappe is under 30.

Maldini and Roberto Carlos were both incredible, generational talents. Chilwell isn't fit to lace their boots currently, but he's 23. 

This isn't lowering of standards, Chilwell can only be accurately compared with other players currently playing in the same position. 

And you're forgetting so many players. Sergio Ramos for instance is a CB that'll go down in history. 

29 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I know this needs putting under the rug, but I think this needs saying.

I am ashamed for the way I treated @Hales last night, and this is my public apology, I am moderating myself here, and will try not to make those sort of posts again.  I apologise to Hales and anyone else who was upset by what I posted.

I really appreciated you contacting me and apologising. Thank you. Let's move on! 😊

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

I suppose it depends upon how you progress it. 

I used to play LB Sunday League and my preferred way of progressing the ball up the pitch was to put my size nines through it as hard as I could.

I slipped through the net too, sadly.

I usual technique was to lean back slightly then lump it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I know this needs putting under the rug, but I think this needs saying.

I am ashamed for the way I treated @Hales last night, and this is my public apology, I am moderating myself here, and will try not to make those sort of posts again.  I apologise to Hales and anyone else who was upset by what I posted.

Top man - that is pretty special.

• Like 1

I think Davies and Robertson are streets ahead of the rest in the world. I'm sure Liverpool were after Chilwell before they got Robertson so it could have been interesting to see how that panned out had it happened. But Chilwell is definitely in that category of the next best fullbacks in the world. His athleticism, pace, positioning, stamina, defending are all really good and if he could improve his final ball he'd get 10 assists a season at least. 

• Like 2

On 17/08/2020 at 15:27, Gerard said:

1/20 without a reciprocal price says to me they probably know nothing. There will be a subset of people who see 1/20 and bet it because it must be a "sure thing". If Chilwell was 12/1 to stay at Leicester then I'd say they knew something but you can't bet on that which is telling.

The same as cutting Chilwell from 1/20 to 1/50 doesn't necessarily mean he's more likely to leave.

I've just looked at SkyBet's transfer specials and it's a mugs market with the shocking prices on offer. We're 5/4 to get Brooks and we haven't even been linked to him. 

Absolute disgrace that they got rid of the 'to stay' market. Sky Bet's odds are as dreadful as their biased pundits. Demarai Gray to get 10 or more goals last season was something like 1/2. You'd have to be mental to bet with them for things like that.

I did win a few times on the 'to stay' markets. Sure loads of others did too. No surprise they got rid. There's definitely a conflict of interest regarding them reporting transfer stories and being able to bet on who moves where, too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

The thing with Ben is that he is so good at getting up the pitch, he is often in dangerous areas and we expect him to deliver like a winger. 

We'd probably think he was a better player if he spent less time getting into dangerous positions and thats the harsh reality of it. 

We can ignore the poor crosses when we are winning, but in games we are chasing and teams camp, watching the ball continuously worked out to him to fluff a cross is up there with the most frustrating thing we do. 

He's still a great player imo but being honest he's nowhere near top of his trade.

Fantastic point, you've worded it perfectly.