Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

2 hours ago, Fightforever said:

We need to sell them first. I mendy has left on a free but bar that we have to actually find someone to buy them.

With the low fee’s we will demand for these lads to simply get rid of the deadwood, I think we will see the majority cleared out this summer. Especially with the majority of clubs on strict budgets.

7 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

One of my pet hates is how people always refer to Southampton. As you have said Dortmund and Ajax sustain their success on this model. Tottenham are only in the position they are in too, due to selling a few key players to Madrid. 

I dont think you can argue that both dortmund and ajax wouldnt be better off if they kept their star players. Same with spurs and bale/modric. Selling clubs can never challenge consistently at the highest level, there is always a drop off period associated with this model. Im sure if you asked the people running these selling clubs they would much rather hold onto their star players than sell them. 

• Haha 1

In a vacuum I think Chilwell should bring in more than 50 million.  But if we do sign Tagliafico as his replacement, the key number is the delta between the two fees.  If we sell for 25-30 million more than we buy I don't mind letting Chilwell go for 50, because Tagliafico is realistically a 35-40 million dollar player if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I dont think you can argue that both dortmund and ajax wouldnt be better off if they kept their star players. Same with spurs and bale/modric. Selling clubs can never challenge consistently at the highest level, there is always a drop off period associated with this model. Im sure if you asked the people running these selling clubs they would much rather hold onto their star players than sell them. 

Atletico Madrid sell their players on a regular basis, but keep challenging consistently, i think they are definitely a model to aspire for you guys

3 minutes ago, lucashm said:

Atletico Madrid sell their players on a regular basis, but keep challenging consistently, i think they are definitely a model to aspire for you guys

Again im sure they would have preferred to keep the likes of aguero, torres, rodri etc.

Edited by honeybradger

We may well have been expecting £60M, and so it's understandable that some are a bit disappointed by the £50M fee.

But, come on now. Put the shoe on the other foot. 

Knowing what we do about Chilwell, and if you imagine yourself as a Chelsea fan. Are you happy with your new £50M signing?

He's a decent young left back. Came through the academy, yes, but he's good and that's about it. Nothing special. Certainly not FIFTY MILLION POUNDS worth of footballer.

I expect us to re-invest and improve the team as we have consistently done over the past couple of years.

Just now, honeybradger said:

Again im sure they would have rathered to keep the likes of aguero, torres, rodri etc.

Well, they have actually reached a point where most of their top players want to stay, players like Saul and Koke.
If this was 2012/2013 i guarantee this wouldn´t be the case, and they only got to the point they are now, by selling high and buying adequate replacements.

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

We may well have been expecting £60M, and so it's understandable that some are a bit disappointed by the £50M fee.

But, come on now. Put the shoe on the other foot. 

Knowing what we do about Chilwell, and if you imagine yourself as a Chelsea fan. Are you happy with your new £50M signing?

He's a decent young left back. Came through the academy, yes, but he's good and that's about it. Nothing special. Certainly not FIFTY MILLION POUNDS worth of footballer.

I expect us to re-invest and improve the team as we have consistently done over the past couple of years.

I am a chelsea fan and very happy with Chilwell. He was the player Lampard wanted the most and i rate him quite highly, so no complaints from my side :D

• Like 1

Again im sure they would have rathered to keep the likes of aguero, torres, rodri etc.

But you can't keep hold of players that don't want to stay, so it's a moot point. The fact is they sell these players and yet find a way to still challenge by investing their proceeds smartly.

We'll never be United or Liverpool, just as Athletico will never be Barca or Real. That's just life and the lay of the land. You work with what you've got.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lucashm said:

I am a chelsea fan and very happy with Chilwell. He was the player Lampard wanted the most and i rate him quite highly, so no complaints from my side :D

You haven't watched him for a full season. 

Watch out for his 360 turns, failure to pick simple passes, and dribbling the ball out of play unopposed and you'll soon see what I mean. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lucashm said:

Well, they have actually reached a point where most of their top players want to stay, players like Saul and Koke.
If this was 2012/2013 i guarantee this wouldn´t be the case, and they only got to the point they are now, by selling high and buying adequate replacements.

Rodri and griezmann left to man city and barca last year, lucas hernandez to bayern although that was probably a good deal for athleti. Im just saying that if youre a selling club then it sets a precedent for all your best players wanting to leave, if you look at the players these big selling clubs have had in 3-4 season windows, if they had just held onto them they could have been challenging the likes of real, barca, bayern but instead those 3 are comfortably winning titles as they can hold onto their best players. I understand that the selling model is good for growing a club but at some point it has to stop as it's a very limited model in terms of how succesful it can be. For example imagine if liverpool had sold mane and salah at the end of 17/18 to build up the rest of their squad, i also think athletico madrid could have won la liga if they still had griezmann and rodri this year.

Edited by honeybradger

Rodri and griezmann left to man city and barca last year, lucas hernandez to bayern although that was probably a good deal for athleti. Im just saying that if youre a selling club then it sets a precedent for all your best players wanting to leave, if you look at the players these big selling clubs have had in 3-4 season windows, if they had just held onto them they could have been challenging the likes of real, barca, bayern but instead those 3 are comfortably winning titles as they can hold onto their best players. I understand that the selling model is good for growing a club but at some point it has to stop as it's a very limited model in terms of how succesful it can be.

Chelsea lost Hazard and Courtois to Real, Liverpool lost Coutinho to Barça, City lost Sané to Bayern, Bayern lost Kroos to Madrid years ago.
Selling players is simply part of the business, but as long as you re-invest that money wisely, you can challenge consistently long term.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

You haven't watched him for a full season. 

Watch out for his 360 turns, failure to pick simple passes, and dribbling the ball out of play unopposed and you'll soon see what I mean. 

He’s 23. He’s already one of the best left backs in England. He’s going to develop into one of the best at Chelsea. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

One of my pet hates is how people always refer to Southampton. As you have said Dortmund and Ajax sustain their success on this model. Tottenham are only in the position they are in too, due to selling a few key players to Madrid. 

It's because Southampton sold those players but regressed as a club. They had a great season in 15/16 and finished top 6, but then sold players like Van Dijk, Mane, Pelle, etc and fell back. But as long as we don't sell players just for more money for the board, but reinvest it into the club, then we can use it as a springboard to grow and improve.

Southampton model = bad.

Dortmund model = good.

I think the Leicester City model will be more like the second than the first!

6 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I find it very hard to believe that after demanding £90M, allegedly, all summer that we should settle on half that value.

Especially not with the joy we hard with Maguire by sticking to our guns and holding out.

We probably never did.

Where's the value in attempting to see the truth for the sh*t in modern media? Hard work.

Take it for what it is. A big chunk of money for an okay footballer. We move on.

• Like 1

I definitely would have taken £60M. Who knows what sort of havoc Corona played on the transfer value or if needing positive cash flow for the club had something to do with it. So £50M might not actually be that bad. I'd assumed that we were going to lose him and prefer that the transfer happened as early as possible.

I'll miss you, Ben. I am very annoyed, I think he will develop into a top, top left back in a couple of years.

I just hope we reinvest the money in THIS window. The end of the season demonstrated that our squad is paper thin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1