Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Taylor at Burnley

Shaw or Williams at Man Utd

Lewis at Norwich

Rose at Newcastle

Bertrand at Southampton

Saka too. Although he played about 5 different positions last season

And now Tierney is fit, he isn’t first choice

Edited by Lcfc-1992

Chilwell is a good player, he's young and he's English. I can see why some are disappointed he's going. But I think it's the right decision from the club. He's got some weaknesses in his game holding him back from being a top player. I found him quite frustrating to watch a lot of the time. 50 million, plus add ons. That's a fair deal.  We'll find an adequate replacement, if not someone even better.

• Like 1

Just now, Deeg67 said:

If we get Tags for 25 million and sell Chills for 50, it’s good business.  If Tags costs us 35 million, 60 for Ben is good business.  If it’s 35-50, not so much.

A great read!! 10/10

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Doesn't it suit us to tell the media the fee was relatively low?

The maguire deal was a bit of a challenge for us when we were signing a replacement.

100%

made the point yesterday early evening ...... suits both parties to publicise a low fee ...... the truth will out in the end though as we will want it known we weren’t a push over when we enter into negs with someone re madders next may ...

Edited by st albans fox

Just now, st albans fox said:

100%

made the point yesterday early evening ...... suits both parties to publicise a low fee ...... the truth will out in the end though .....

You're forgetting a key third party - the player.

His ego and his agent(s) will like the sound of "world record fee for a left back" plus this sort of thing then corresponds to the new wage and signing on fees they can command from the buying club.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's because Southampton sold those players but regressed as a club. They had a great season in 15/16 and finished top 6, but then sold players like Van Dijk, Mane, Pelle, etc and fell back. But as long as we don't sell players just for more money for the board, but reinvest it into the club, then we can use it as a springboard to grow and improve.

Southampton model = bad.

Dortmund model = good.

I think the Leicester City model will be more like the second than the first!

Agreed. The difference is Southampton sold 2/3 key players a season. We sell one. 

Southampton gave themselves a mountain to climb where as we just have a small hole to plug.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You're forgetting a key third party - the player.

His ego and his agent(s) will like the sound of "world record fee for a left back" plus this sort of thing then corresponds to the new wage and signing on fees they can command from the buying club.

In time they will but they won’t rock the boat at this stage .....his package will have been negotiated irrespective of the fee .....

At the end of the day we are still, in a sense, a provincial club. Google tells me the entire county has a population that's equal to Liverpool city. Most, up until 4 years ago, would have lumped us in with the likes of Stoke and Derby - quite rightly. 

To get up to the stage of being able to consistently hang on to our best players for a few years means either:

- having the money to do so, which requires a HUGE increase in our global audience. I'm talking the kind that Man United or Liverpool fans get when they go on holiday to Mexico. That takes time.

- we treat them really, really well and give them contracts that blow the other teams out the water. See point above for how to achieve that.

Unfortunately, the game is no longer about how many fans you get in the stadium. Look at Man City for living proof. 

Disappointing, but inevitable, but we can be proud we've developed England's first choice left back from our academy.

Really hope we have a replacement lined up.

As has been said before, we'll miss his ability to carry the ball forward out of defence.

Just now, Tuna said:

Disappointing, but inevitable, but we can be proud we've developed England's first choice left back from our academy.

Really hope we have a replacement lined up.

As has been said before, we'll miss his ability to carry the ball forward out of defence.

I see quite a lot of people guilty of this mindset...do you really think we can't sign someone with this ability? We're an ambitious attractive club, we're not some chancers that have just come up.

We're selling him for more than he's worth and we'll be able to bring in someone from abroad of equal or better ability for a fraction of the price. 

I like Chilly and wish him well, but I can't see him lasting at Chelsea, it seems to me like a player being signed based on hype and reputation rather than actual ability. They want rid of Alonso who seems a much better player technically to me.

To clarify, I think Chillwell is comfortably a top half Premier league full back but I don't think he's an elite full back worth 60+ million. The guy on the right side of our defence however...

I am fairly confident that he'll be getting more stick on social media next season when the spotlight is on him and people realise he's not this top class attacking full back.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kristianity77 said:

Let's be honest, if we didn't want to sell, then we wouldn't have.  He's never worth 50 million in a month of Sundays.  If he stayed and started next season like he did the second half of last season you could of seen millions vanish off his value every month.  

Be honest, when has he ever looked a world beater?  Southampton?  Who didn't that day!

He's England's left back because there isn't really anyone else currently

Providing the money gets reinvested wisely, there is only one winner here, and it's not Chelsea.  He doesn't improve them one iota.  Id be amazed if he doesn't turn into another Drinkwater situation for them. And him leaving doesn't really damage us either, we just have 50 million in the pocket to improve.

He's worth a lot more than 50 million in my opinion. Maguire should have been the benchmark. We are selling a player who is still very young and Englands first choice in that position his value just from that is astronomical.

I personally think a few people on this forum will get a wake up call when Chilwell leaves. He is a fantastic full back and one of the very best in the world. I have seen him look like a world beater on numerous occasions! Whoever we end up signing as a replacement will not be up to Chilwells standard and I don't see how people don't realise that. 

50 million is a joke and we have been had by Chelsea if that is true. We are asking to become Southampton bending over like that. I thought we had more ambition than that.

38 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Of course the club would rather keep their best players, never sell unless on their terms, be able to bring quality in year on year and reward all their performing players with new contracts worth £100-50k a week. The simple economics is, in order to do so we have to increase our turnover by at least £100m and even then we'd still be less than half what Man Utd turnover. Commercially we are nothing compared to the top 6, so unless our fans have answers to turning that around overnight then our model seems to be the most viable option.

I don't see any other clubs like us (Wolves, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, Southampton - some of which turnover more than we do) winning a Prem and following it up in eecent years with a top 5 finish. Trust the process.

Ideal scenario for the club is, bigger ground and sustained top 6 finishes = more commercial growth and then ability to keep sought after stars and continue to strengthen. It's really not that hard to grasp, be thankful so dear we play this game quite well.

This one hundred times over. So many on here forget how it used to feel, constantly being bullied into accepting low fee’s simply because we had no choice or we needed the money.

I love the feeling that we dictate against the likes of Man City and Man United. We use to get bullied into accepting lower fee’s yet now we hold all the cards and dictate what happens.

• Like 2

I suspect Chilwell like Mahrez and Maguire before may have been given an indication he could move for the right price. 

In truth as the season wore on past early December his form probably dropped the furthest. He was literally torn apart by Liverpool and City on live tv and never recovered.

City may have wanted a Maguire type fee early season but you cant escape what weve all witnessed since.  Inconsistency, huge drop in confidence, caught out positionally. To balance that and this isn't about attacking Chilwell he was and is remains a fine athlete, the modern day fullback epitome. 

I think all said and done Chelsea know they are getting someone with potential BUT who perhaps has shown cracks that could hinder that progression.

Wish him well bar our matches but remain very much on the fence as to whether this lad can hit the heights.

• Like 1

Someone on another forum I'm on who claims to have a friend who's recently become a Chelsea first team coach says this is 100% done and they will also get Havertz and more than likely Thiago Silva. Chelsea going seriously hard in this window.

2 minutes ago, TazzerFox said:

Someone on another forum I'm on who claims to have a friend who's recently become a Chelsea first team coach says this is 100% done and they will also get Havertz and more than likely Thiago Silva. Chelsea going seriously hard in this window.

Frank's just playing a FM save when you unlock the unlimited investment option. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

£50m for him is a good price he is a good player but over-rated how many times did he get into a good position around the box and constantly hit the first man never looked up in the 2 games I saw Thomas play his composure to stop look and play a ball into the box was first class this lad will be better than Chilwell. 

• Like 2