Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

I'm gutted. Losing a lad who has come through the academy, an excellent prospect with massive potential, arguably for less than he's worth (IMHO, of course). Not sure what some people are so happy about.

I definitely feel a bit gutted about losing him but I feel we also should feel immensely proud of the club for the exact same reasons. The last time we sold an academy product was Schlupp for what would have been a club record fee of £12m had we not sold Kante 6 months earlier. Before that it was 2 local boys in the space of 2 years - Piper for £3m and Heskey for £11m and they were nearly 20 years ago (****ing hell). I agree that we should be getting much more for him but circumstances have conspired against us there and it's something we should learn from - which we almost always do. £50m in the bank, hopefully an experience new left back coming in and a very, very exciting young (local!) prospect up and coming soon. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

With this transfer likely done, lets appreciate our recruitment and academy for a moment. 

Kante - ~£8mill - £35mill

Drinkwater - ~ £800k - £30mill

Mahrez - ~400k - £60mill

Maguire - £12mill - £85mill 

Chilwell - £0 - £50/60mill.

Absolutely brilliant business from us. 

Agreed but I thought Kante was around £5.5 million, what a bloody steal he was.

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Messi is one footed ...... maradonna was one footed. ....... there are others .....

They could be one-footed because they are Leo F***ing Messi and Diego F***ing Maradona. :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chelve84 said:

I got slated last week when I said the club has no money. The club has accepted 30 million less. Hope that tells the story of where we are as a football feeder club currently. 

fixed it for you...

Good luck Ben. £50m is probably fair but I was hoping for £60m+.

Good at getting up and down the pitch but his final ball is in the Lloyd Dyer mould unfortunately. His inability to use his right foot is also a problem - I've never seen such a one footed player before, but he's 23 and has plenty of room for improvement.

A good deal for both sides I'd say, but of all the key players we could potentially lose this summer, Chilwell should theoretically be the easiest to replace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

No, you pay a premium for home grown players. Chilwell is no more home grown than Ake.

Chelsea made £160m from Hazard and Morata and weren't allowed to spend it.

...is there something I am missing here!!!

Ake has been with a British Club since 2011 and Chilwell has come through our academy.

Like others I'm not bothered about him going.  He's bang average in my eyes.  Was never as good as an in prime Fuchs in that position and last season he was mostly woeful.  50 million is another pants down job on a rival.  He won't improve Chelsea anymore than Drinkwater did. 

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...is there something I am missing here!!!

Ake has been with a British Club since 2011 and Chilwell has come through our academy.

Yes - for the Premier League and Champions League an association-trained home grown player is anyone who was registered to an English (or Welsh) club for at least 3 years or successive seasons between the ages of 15 and 21.

In the PL and CL you can only name 17 senior non home grown players - in the PL you therefore need 8 home grown players to name a full 25 man squad. In the CL you only need 4 association trained players but also 4 club trained players (e.g. Barnes, Choudhury, Chilwell in our case). If you don't have enough you have to name a smaller squad.

As you quite rightly say, Ake was in the Chelsea academy as a kid and thus counts as home-grown to Manchester City in exactly the same way Chilwell counts for Chelsea.

The premium in transfers is for HG players, not English ones - clubs like Man City and Wolves among others are always pushing the 17 man non-HG limit so there is extra value when a top, young HG talent comes along.

The only other 'premium' you can argue about English fees is that PL clubs are more cash rich than foreign ones and therefore mid-table clubs can charge more than those in say France or Germany.

I personally think that 50 million is a poor deal Should have held out for a lot more than that or told Chelsea where to go. Feels like with this deal we are becoming a selling club that bends over for bigger clubs, I have never felt that way with any of the other players we have sold.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Selling academy products to fund the continued rise of the team is going to be the model for the club going forwards. It might make us feel like the new Southampton, but if we reinvest the money wisely in both Infrastructure and good signings, it will allow the club to continue to grow.

Chillwell's replacement will speak volumes as to where we are going as a club. If it's Tagliafico then I don't really think we could do any better as a club - we will replace the outgoing player with a better player (short term) AND have a highly promising player in Thomas that either goes out on loan or starts a number of games next season to take over Chilwell's position long-term. This is exactly what Dortmund and Ajax do year after year and it's one of the few ways to be a sustainable and competitive team without being funded by an Oil state or Oligarch.

If it's Lewis, then we are the new Southampton, but I don't think that will be his replacement.

One of my pet hates is how people always refer to Southampton. As you have said Dortmund and Ajax sustain their success on this model. Tottenham are only in the position they are in too, due to selling a few key players to Madrid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Is it either clubs interest to overstate the fee?  Chelsea don’t want to appear to be overpaying and we don’t want to be seen to have a huge wedge in our pockets when it comes to buying targets 

it could be that both clubs have agreed for the lowest amount to be publicised at this stage 

This. And if you read the article properly it says they’re paying £50m up front and the rest in instalments - not add ons.