Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

3 hours ago, kristianity77 said:

Let's be honest, if we didn't want to sell, then we wouldn't have.  He's never worth 50 million in a month of Sundays.  If he stayed and started next season like he did the second half of last season you could of seen millions vanish off his value every month.  

Be honest, when has he ever looked a world beater?  Southampton?  Who didn't that day!

He's England's left back because there isn't really anyone else currently

Providing the money gets reinvested wisely, there is only one winner here, and it's not Chelsea.  He doesn't improve them one iota.  Id be amazed if he doesn't turn into another Drinkwater situation for them. And him leaving doesn't really damage us either, we just have 50 million in the pocket to improve.

As my mate said to me when he hear's people say he's England's left back. "If he was Scottish he'd be their third choice left back".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I dont think you can argue that both dortmund and ajax wouldnt be better off if they kept their star players. Same with spurs and bale/modric. Selling clubs can never challenge consistently at the highest level, there is always a drop off period associated with this model. Im sure if you asked the people running these selling clubs they would much rather hold onto their star players than sell them. 

You can, because they need to sell to buy. Dortmund would not be in the position they're in if Dembele hadn't enabled them to buy Witsel, Brandt, Hazard, etc. Ajax don't need to sell to buy right at this very moment, but they do need to sell in order to keep their academy as prestigious as it is - if there aren't consistent opportunities for young players, they'll go elsewhere and Ajax will miss out.

8 hours ago, SmuelMartin said:

Hahaha most of it wasn’t critically challenging, I’ve not even really spoke in here. Just people telling me I was wrong without even contacting me. Some people just enjoy being rude don’t they. 

This is today’s “norm” Sadly with plenty of platforms to do so.

challenge people, yes....

but it should be kept respectful 

• Like 1

Sorry to see him go. But I think it was inevitable, his current injury could be a problem. So 50 million plus add ons is good business. People need to draw a line and move forward. He probably wanted to leave alot earlier than now. 

• Like 1

We are a selling club(at the right price), Chelsea know it or else they wouldn't persist with the Chilwell deal.  The clubs just above us in the 'pecking order' know they will have to pay more for a Leicester player, maybe it is why Man city seem to stay well clear of any of our players since Mahrez!

I think most of us would have happily accepted £60m on the basis that we replace him with similar quality (and cheaper). With that in mind if the supposed £50m plus addons/instalments is correct and we can secure Tagliafico in return then I think we'll have done fairly well. 

After selling Maguire last summer for a very publicly known high fee we struggled to buy anyone else without being rinsed as clubs knew we were cash rich; hopefully a deal that appears like we're getting less upfront helps to mitigate that somewhat.

• Like 2

If we were another club, who’d sell a player for £50m and the owners would bank the money, I’d not be happy with this. We’re lucky that we can sell players and be very confident that the money will

be put into the transfer budget or be used for the good of the club.

I don’t think transfers like this make us a ‘selling club’, because if the price wasn’t right (massively inflated), we wouldn’t sell. This is great business and providing we have a better replacement coming in, even for an equal fee, it’d be good business. The likelihood is we’ll improve our left-back position, having plenty if change left over is a massive bonus.

Comparing us to Southampton isn’t fair at all. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

If we were another club, who’d sell a player for £50m and the owners would bank the money, I’d not be happy with this. We’re lucky that we can sell players and be very confident that the money will

I don’t think transfers like this make us a ‘selling club’, because if the price wasn’t right (massively inflated), we wouldn’t sell. This is great business and providing we have a better replacement coming in, even for an equal fee, it’d be good business. The likelihood is we’ll improve our left-back position, having plenty if change left over is a massive bonus.

I think the Southampton comparison comes from the fact we've now sold 3 first team players to them in the last few years. Of course, Southampton sold a few of theirs to Liverpool in one summer so that is worse but I still don't like the idea that a club that we were a direct rival of last season can keep swooping in like this. Fortunately, apart from Kanté, they have so far picked the wrong players! Let's face it Soyuncu or Ric would be much better buys to improve Chelsea's current team than Chilwell.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Didn’t the owners bank the maguire money? Yet to see anything spent with that! They now have 130m to spend just from 2 sales... I’d be suprised if we spend anything near that this summer 

2 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

Didn’t the owners bank the maguire money? Yet to see anything spent with that! They now have 130m to spend just from 2 sales... I’d be suprised if we spend anything near that this summer 

But we have spent a damn lot on a new training ground!

I hope this is over and done with in the next couple of days so we can move on, plan officially without him. Unlike last pre season when maguire played most friendlies and we have him Man Utd match fit.

i also hope it will start our summer transfer activity. Would be a boost going into the first friendly on Wednesday with a new addition. Fingers crossed

on chilwell he’s a frustrating player, he’s inconsistent within a game so often. Drives forward really well and a danger with the beating of the full back then 10 mins later he’s cutting back again and giving to soyuncu when no need! A solid left back for us who can improve but fear he doesn’t have a natural footballing brain to improve that someone like tielemans has.

all the best too him and I still think his best game was athletico Madrid at home in the quarter final, changed the tempo we played with and we had a right go that night. Cheers Ben

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

Be interesting to see what the add ons are. On the face of it £50m seems a good deal for us, but when you consider United bought Wan-Bissaka last year for £45m with £5m add ons, then £50m for England’s established left back doesn’t seem that good

You have to remember the impact of Covid this summer plus the fact that Man Utd are terrible negotiators, as we saw with Maguire. They got ripped off with Wan Bissaka too - he's fast and good at tackling but hopeless at contributing in an attacking sense, as people are now realising. Anyway, it sounds like the add ons for Chilwell are actually further instalments so the final fee for him will probably be nearer £60m.

I keep hearing how he's going to develop into the best left back in the history of left backs but it could just as easily be that he's already peaked and won't improve further. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened to a 23 year old. 

If its £50m, potentially more, I'm happy with that. Between the 2 penalty areas down that left flank, he's probably one of the best there is (apart from when he's controlling the ball out of play for an opposition throw in) . However, when he's at either end of the pitch he's average.

Defensively, he's done regularly by anyone with any pace, strength or skill, and is usually awol when defending the far post. 

Going forward, he either floats the ball aimlessly across (although that may work better with giroud or Abraham), or stops and plays it backwards. 

Whether or not he'll be missed will depend on who they replace him with. There's some better players out there, but also some worse. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

I think the money is still in the club, granted money is now a KP asset. We did spend last summer though. We had a transfer kitty before the Maguire sale, money coming from the club, but if that money stayed in the club and the Tielemens and Justin transfers were funded by the following Maguire sale, that’s understandable. If the rest of the money is in LCFCs accounts then personally I wouldn’t have a problem with that. 

After the recent (and still ongoing) situation, having spare funds available to cover any kind of costs is a sensible decision. Not that I believe KP would allow us to struggle, but with the new training ground, stadium expansion and wage bill, we could’ve been in trouble. Other clubs ended up in trouble without the huge investments we’ve made.