Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

21 minutes ago, manders86 said:

I agree he is disproportionately slated, at the same time though, that sort of bid comes in, would you be unhappy to sell?

I not opposed to the sale of anyone for the right price, after all their are only two non selling club in the world i.e. Real Madrid and Barc.

For me the only way we stay in the top 6 is to become a version of Borussia Dortmund, scout well, buy at good prices and sale high. Become the club of choice for young exciting talent to choose.

May issue is the number of people saying his crap sell him, in my 30 odd years supporting the club he's one of the best two left back we have had the other being Fuch, people easily forget some of the average left back we have had. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I not opposed to the sale of anyone for the right price, after all their are only two non selling club in the world i.e. Real Madrid and Barc.

For me the only way we stay in the top 6 is to become a version of Borussia Dortmund, scout well, buy at good prices and sale high. Become the club of choice for young exciting talent to choose.

May issue is the number of people saying his crap sell him, in my 30 odd years supporting the club he's one of the best two left back we have had the other being Fuch, people easily forget some of the average left back we have had. 

Not sure about top two, he's no Danny Tiatto 😂. I understand your point fully. The slagging off is unwarranted. The hype around him is also unwarranted from outside of the club. Similar to Maguire everyone outside of Leicester thought he was better than he is. 

Dortmund as a blue print is spot on, I have full faith we can keep the talent coming through and keep pulling the wool over the "big clubs" eyes. If Ben were to leave I hope our fans could be gracious, wish him well, accept we are the winners of another transfer deal as we have been with Drinkwater, Maguire and probably on balance Mahrez and move on.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, manders86 said:

Not sure about top two, he's no Danny Tiatto 😂. I understand your point fully. The slagging off is unwarranted. The hype around him is also unwarranted from outside of the club. Similar to Maguire everyone outside of Leicester thought he was better than he is. 

Dortmund as a blue print is spot on, I have full faith we can keep the talent coming through and keep pulling the wool over the "big clubs" eyes. If Ben were to leave I hope our fans could be gracious, wish him well, accept we are the winners of another transfer deal as we have been with Drinkwater, Maguire and probably on balance Mahrez and move on.

There is no denying both Chilwell and Maguire are very good players, unfortunately all England players are over hyped. 

Mahrez is probably the only one I wish would have stayed, fantastic player, he would have been amazing under Rodgers in our current side, with him we could be title challaging in a good year!

Edited by coolhandfox
typo
  • Like 1

Also, those getting a bit spaffy about the money we might get for Chillers might want to take a look at Congerton's hit parade of signings.....it's all well and good getting a good deal for an excellent young full back but what if you replace him with someone a lot less capable? Great for the bank balance but at the expense of a weakened side - no thanks. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sly said:

Apparently up to 7 clubs are interested in him, not just Chelsea.

Couple the financial climate in the European leagues, with our lack of need/incentive to sell, and there may not be 7 clubs that could afford him.

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

Anyone pretending they would turn down £100k a week if they were already earning £50k a week is talking absolute shite. Let's be honest, if you had the chance to double your wages, you'd take it.

100% this. It’s not just a wage increase for a promotion like in a normal job, it’s double your wages for doing exactly the same job for a different company. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Would make sense after they were so close to signing him last year. Imagine they will be trying to offload angelino and mendy. Angelino has been very impressive in the leipzeg games I have seen so imagine they will be getting some money in for him as well as sane. 

I understand that players want to better themselves, but staying with a club that's trying to go places and become a top six team and is on the way up. Why do they want to leave? And is the grass greener elsewhere(didn't work for Drinkwater) 

5 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Also, those getting a bit spaffy about the money we might get for Chillers might want to take a look at Congerton's hit parade of signings.....it's all well and good getting a good deal for an excellent young full back but what if you replace him with someone a lot less capable? Great for the bank balance but at the expense of a weakened side - no thanks. 

I feel relatively confident about any incomings given you'd hope (pray) that they'd ultimately have to be rubber-stamped by Rudkin who, for all his initial faults as a DOF, has clearly come on in the role and identified the model we want to follow - I think he knows what sort of players are suitable for club. We've had an absurd couple of years recruitment-wise.

I can't see Congerton being given a blank chequebook and carte blanche to do as he pleases given what we're doing is clearly working.

On 05/06/2020 at 17:51, UniFox21 said:

More likely with the media's love of linking any non-big 6 player in a well performing team with the big 6. 

Our 'history' of selling players; 

- A world record fee for Harry Maguire 

- Man City's record fee for Mahrez 

- Kante due to a release clause which was learnt from.

You make it sound like we sell for cheap or on mass like Southampton did. 

No I just point out we have a history of selling first team players readily.

This is why we get linked more.  Doesn't matter if its £1 or 100 million, selling is selling.

I agree the media have a love in it all, but our name comes up more than others as a source for the signings.

On 05/06/2020 at 17:58, Poznan34 said:

Here we are again with the "big clubs don't sell"/"we can't be a selling club" argument. What we need to be is a smart club. Selling Chilwell for £70m/£80m when we can sign a replacement for £30m is the smart choice. We can't act like a Big 6 team on less than half the revenue (see tweet).

I'd say the one big sale a year is working pretty well: 

19/20 - Maguire covers the cost of Tielemans, Perez and Praet

18/19 - Mahez covers the cost of Maddison, Ricardo, Soy

17/18 - Drinkwater covers the cost of Maguire and Iheanacho

Yes, they don't all work out but show me a club where they do.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leicester-city/alletransfers/verein/1003

Pretty much, as much as I want us to not sell anyone, we dont have the revenue to support the policy, the only way is if the owner agrees to be a sugar daddy.  We are been run in a self sustaining manner, and with our current wages, our current financial commitments, it all points to a big cash transfer out of the club this summer.  Especially if Rodgers wants to bring in new players.

• Like 2

On 05/06/2020 at 20:19, themightyfin said:

He's made it clear to the club im told he dont want him going anywhere. I highly doubt he would come out and say anything to that effect. 

The media are great at spinning things so deflection is the norm. 

You realise he said the same about Maguire right, and how did that end up?

On 06/06/2020 at 13:42, lcfc sheff said:

Comparing Ricardo and Chilwell is ridiculous, Ricardo’s attacking output even if it wasn’t supported by stats at the start of his career his decision making is there to be seen. You watch Chilwell and he struggles with crossing the ball and making his mind up; he’s brain dead in that regard but a decent defender. 

With that being said he is England’s starting left back; so I still see him going for £50m+ this summer if we compare him to wan bissakas fee; but I also see him going close to Maguires fee If we play our usual hardball approach in negotiating.

its stupid to suggest just because Rodgers has said he doesn’t want to sell him he won’t be going; what manager is going to say they want a potential £50m player to go publicly? We said we didn’t want Maguire to go and the same for mahrez but both ended up leaving when the fee was high enough.

Yeah I do think people have started to get crazy, the two players are not comparable in quality.

The thing is even if Chilwell improves a lot, he wont be a LCFC player, I think some people have become attached to him because he was a youth player, and for that reason think that is more important than having a better team or the financials of the club.  The thinking seems to be since he was a youth player with us, it must mean he comes first, and if he makes it he will be a world class player playing for us in his late 20s.

Our young players policy is all about business, it was likely recognised earlier on in our project, that we cannot compete with the big boys for players in their prime and in addition that would be a cash sink.  As buying players in their prime and then selling them in their 30s probably isnt going to be profitable.  Better to bring in players whilst they are still in that learning curve, and the ones that make it we maybe get 2-3 years out of them whilst they reasonably good then sell for big profit, thats clearly the business plan. 

This is why a lot of people on here are attached to both Barnes and Chilwell, you can clearly tell there is an emotional attachment as they viciously defend any criticism those two players get.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 18:51, Gerard said:

The only way we're similar level to Chelsea is on the pitch.

They can sign Werner, he wouldn't have come here. Off the pitch we have to do everything right to stay in the CL spots mid term, Chelsea just have to be average to be there. 

Only have to look at the revenue data to see we miles apart as clubs.

This season has been a poor season for Chelsea, whilst for us us its a good season, thats the reality, we need to be consistently year after year competing in the top 4 before we can claim we are on the same level as them, and we really need to improve our financial performance, in the early years of king power was some revenue growth, now its really only the TV part of it thats growing.  When Man city had their initial investment (Same with chelsea), they had a much lower revenue, but now those clubs can actually spend more before needing investor money because their core turnover has been boosted by better commercial deals, marketing etc.  We need to treat stadium expansion as a really high priority, and get more money from our commercial deals, the king power one is especially bad.

On 06/06/2020 at 18:55, shailen said:

Agreed, but my point was for any of our players with us at the moment, I don't see Chelsea being a big enough pull to leave us at the moment. That might change in a couple of years, but from a footballing point of view, it's not really a progression. 

Well you said he agreed, but didnt understand what he said.

If a player leaves us for Chelsea on say a 4 year contract.

The chances are at least 3 of those 4 years they will be in the CL, and have a reasonable chance of a title.

If they stayed with us for 4 years, we probably will only have next season in the CL.

23 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

Not to disparage Ricardo, he's great, but people are talking about Chilwell like he's a headless chicken who couldn't locate his arse from his elbow in the attacking final third.

This PL Season:

Ricardo: 3 goals 2 assists

Chilwell: 2 goals 3 assists

BuT cHiLwElL cAn'T KiCk A bAlL sTrAiGhT sEll FoR £5 miLLiOn

Thee are times when stats dont tell the story, the vast majority of the time when Chilwell gets forward, he panics, and makes a stupid mistake, Ricardo is much more consistent, I always feel more positive when we moving up the right instead of the left side of the pitch.  I expect Ricardo has had a lot more "nearly" moments.

I am curious how would you feel if Ricardo was been linked away for the same money? would it be the same?

Edited by Chrysalis

11 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Yes but 99% of LCFC fans think he's rubbish :facepalm:

We have the second best set of fullbacks in the league and yet people still target Chilwell. 

I dont think he is rubbish I just think he is average ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FIF said:

All the top teams in the world want him but a hardcore group of Leicester supporters think he's crap! 

English players are a premium because of the English players needed in their squad.

Remember Chelsea brought Drinkwater, and most on here didn't rate him.

It happens a lot in the EPL average English players been brought by the top clubs.

Now if Bayern, Barca, PSG, Real Madrid come calling, you have a point.

Edited by Chrysalis