Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

8 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

No future for us in keep selling our best players. Look at Southampton as the example, where would they be if they had kept all the top players they have sold

Southampton sold them all one summer. Rather than 1 each season. You can still be successful selling one.

like some have said, like Dortmund.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

We have sold one of our better players for that last 4 seasons, Kante (2016), Drinkwater (2017), Mahrez (2018), Maguire (2019). I think its something that we we have to accept unless we continually hit top 4 or 6 for a number of seasons. 

I don't think one a season is too bad or that much of a risk, its when you do a Southampton and see 2 or 3 move on in one go!

Yes very true. I’m just hoping that with Brendan as manager, new training ground, elite squad, amazing owners and stadium expansion we won’t need to sell our players. But I guess there’s always going to be a bigger club that will take the smaller clubs players, just like we do with smaller clubs.

24 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Yes very true. I’m just hoping that with Brendan as manager, new training ground, elite squad, amazing owners and stadium expansion we won’t need to sell our players. But I guess there’s always going to be a bigger club that will take the smaller clubs players, just like we do with smaller clubs.

It is the way of things. It is a pyramidal structure with the apex predators at the top, the Bugs and things at the bottom and the small furry creatures somewhere in the middle. The "big" clubs, ie those with the most money will always prey on those lower down, but without having to go dredging around in the primordial swamp that is the lower/non leagues looking for their next meal. They leave that sort of thing to rest of us and when those slender pickings have been fattened up a bit they swoop in.  We are no different, we just feed at a slightly lower level in the food chain. We may seem like a hawk picking off a sparrow but in turn we still need to be watchful for the eagles. Whereas we need to catch a lot of small prey, they can just cherry pick the plumpest and they are quite happy to raid the nests of others to do so.

We are essentially no different. Look at how we all get wound up on here when they start sniffing around our prize assets but at the same time wetting ourselves over the prospect of luring certain players away from their current clubs and extolling just how much better off they would be here than at say Brighton/Norwich/Villa etc. The only saving grace is that we are prepared to offer some of the younger prospects the opportunity and invest in their development rather than simply letting others do the work and then luring them away with promises of untold riches.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, urban fox said:

It is the way of things. It is a pyramidal structure with the apex predators at the top, the Bugs and things at the bottom and the small furry creatures somewhere in the middle. The "big" clubs, ie those with the most money will always prey on those lower down, but without having to go dredging around in the primordial swamp that is the lower/non leagues looking for their next meal. They leave that sort of thing to rest of us and when those slender pickings have been fattened up a bit they swoop in.  We are no different, we just feed at a slightly lower level in the food chain. We may seem like a hawk picking off a sparrow but in turn we still need to be watchful for the eagles. Whereas we need to catch a lot of small prey, they can just cherry pick the plumpest and they are quite happy to raid the nests of others to do so.

We are essentially no different. Look at how we all get wound up on here when they start sniffing around our prize assets but at the same time wetting ourselves over the prospect of luring certain players away from their current clubs and extolling just how much better off they would be here than at say Brighton/Norwich/Villa etc. The only saving grace is that we are prepared to offer some of the younger prospects the opportunity and invest in their development rather than simply letting others do the work and then luring them away with promises of untold riches.

Thanks for explaining I never would have understood it otherwise ;)

• Haha 1

I really wouldn’t be that disappointed if chilwell left us. If we got 60-70m for him. Out of our starting XI he is the one I would be confident of replacing. Like when maguire went and soyuncu stepped up I see the same situation happening if chilwell left us. It would be more difficult/impossible to replace vardys goals or ndidis tackling. 

12 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I think this second top 4 season in 5 years tho will have enhanced our reputation a bit, we seem to have a bit more respect in the media now (apart from with transfer stories) than we ever got in that title winning season. 

A lot more going for us now, new training ground, more potential in the squad and a top class manager. I think it will progressively get a harder decision for players to leave us as we progress year on year. Maguire wanted his move 100% but wasn’t too fussed about leaving us if it didn’t go through because of the steps the club are taking to get to the top. I doubt we’ll see Chilwell try to force through a move Mahrez or Kante style, his stance will be more like Maguire’s. 

Even when it comes to transfer stories they seem to respect us more. The annoying fabrications at least end in large sums of money for us, other teams get stuff like "Man Utd plot 30 million Grealish swoop"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

No future for us in keep selling our best players. Look at Southampton as the example, where would they be if they had kept all the top players they have sold

You could argue that selling two of our best players in Mahrez and Maguire has allow us to recruit a younger and better squad of players and build one of the best training grounds in Europe.

To compete at the top we need to play smart and that sometimes means sell someone at the right time and price.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Sell him, so some of our wonderful fans can properly booo him upon his return, for another club. 

And get to call him a traitor after he returns! Its a win-win!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We’re in Europe next season, likely the CL.  With Fuchs unsigned and Justin backing up both sides, Chilwell would require an expensive readymade replacement. 

Ben’s value is as likely to rise as fall, even burning another year off his contract.  Transfer budgets may recover to some degree in 12 months’ time.   And he will likely have a better season –inconsistent this year, he is still improving under a top coach.  Why not enjoy another year of service if the player is content and it doesn’t hit his market value.  He’s still years from his peak.

With our board, you can usually predict the outcome of these situations through what makes the most business sense.  IMO selling now for less than their valuation, would go against their grain.

So I doubt Chilwell will move this summer.  While CFC and MCFC have the resources, Granovskaia and Pep don’t like to overpay.  And in the current market 75M looks gaudy.

• Like 3