Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

I dont watch other teams very much, but I think if Chilwell was e.g. Scottish, we wouldn't be getting these offers.  I think the EPL in general doesnt have any especially good left back players, its a suffering position in the league.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Well you said he agreed, but didnt understand what he said.

If a player leaves us for Chelsea on say a 4 year contract.

The chances are at least 3 of those 4 years they will be in the CL, and have a reasonable chance of a title.

If they stayed with us for 4 years, we probably will only have next season in the CL.

Chelsea as a club will more than likely do better then us in most seasons over the long term. That's what I agree with and the fact that more foreign stars will be attracted to them. Your point about Chelsea being in the champions league more than is probably also likely to be true. 

But Chilwell as a player is not guaranteed the success he has had here over there. My point is why would anyone leave us right now for a club that at the moment, in the short term, are at a similar level to us. We look as good as anyone outside Man City and Liverpool so unless a player has an affinity to another club I don't really get why they'd leave. Chelsea are probably the most cut throat of all clubs with young players so I wouldn't be surprised if his career stalled, if he were to go over there, and lost his England spot. 

27 minutes ago, shailen said:

Chelsea as a club will more than likely do better then us in most seasons over the long term. That's what I agree with and the fact that more foreign stars will be attracted to them. Your point about Chelsea being in the champions league more than is probably also likely to be true. 

But Chilwell as a player is not guaranteed the success he has had here over there. My point is why would anyone leave us right now for a club that at the moment, in the short term, are at a similar level to us. We look as good as anyone outside Man City and Liverpool so unless a player has an affinity to another club I don't really get why they'd leave. Chelsea are probably the most cut throat of all clubs with young players so I wouldn't be surprised if his career stalled, if he were to go over there, and lost his England spot. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

You realise he said the same about Maguire right, and how did that end up?

I think BR bargaining power with the board with his wishes hold a lot more substance than a year ago. A year ago he was relatively new to the post, his stock and value here have undoubtedly increased so chances of him getting what he wants will increase according you would presume. 

24 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

I think BR bargaining power with the board with his wishes hold a lot more substance than a year ago. A year ago he was relatively new to the post, his stock and value here have undoubtedly increased so chances of him getting what he wants will increase according you would presume. 

it’s also his job to get into the player and convince him that he shouldn’t be thinking about leaving ........ I presume his  negs with the board may have to involve an improved contract for Ben ....... would have helped Brendan if he hadn’t taken up such a chunk of the salary budget Increase with his new deal ! 

3 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Maybe so, but I think Brendan will also have recognised that the way things have turned out is a significant improvement on Maguire actually staying (financial stability, the emergence of Soyuncu as a much better partner for Evans). So he probably trusts the board to make the right decision to some extent.

12 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

English players are a premium because of the English players needed in their squad.

Remember Chelsea brought Drinkwater, and most on here didn't rate him.

It happens a lot in the EPL average English players been brought by the top clubs.

Now if Bayern, Barca, PSG, Real Madrid come calling, you have a point.

Did you know if you click on the + sign next to the quote you can multi quote all those you want to and then just have one reply instead of having about 50 replies on the page just to yourself.

47 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Coming out today Chelsea want Havertz now. Maybe they’ve put the feelers out for Chilwell and realised we aren’t going to be easy negotiators. Hopefully it doesn’t pave the way for a move to Man City tho. 

Havertz is a number 10, not a left back?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, blueharmie said:

I'd honestly rather keep Chilwell and build our team. 

If he has said he wants to go officially then I would change my tune. 

He gets alot of undeserved stick I think and is a fairly decent left back, not forgetting he is young. 

Will be disappointed if he goes although I do believe he isn't irreplaceable like some we have lost. 

Likewise, I think he gets too much stick and is a top quality prospect. 

However, I think if we had £80m+ to reinvest, we could potentially recruit up to 3 players of a similar quality. 

Seems like a no-brainer, in terms of building the club. It's nice having young, English academy players in the team but long term stability is more of a priority for me. 

• Like 1

Not that bothered about Chilwell as a player individually. If he stays great if we sell I don’t mind. What I don’t want though is repeatedly selling our top players every year. We’ve done fantastically well in replacing the players we’ve sold but eventually the scouting team will make mistakes. We’ll eventually sign poorer players despite pocketing the cash. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Of course, but they aren’t gonna be shelling out for a £100 million rated number 10 and an £80 million left back this summer. 

It wouldn't surprise me, they have the majority of the Hazard money still and winning the Europa last season was key for them to get back in the CL and maintain the huge revenue they get. Morata's fee has paid for Werner. I can also see them selling a few fringe players like Zapacosta, Bakayoko, Pedro, Alonso and raise around £40-50m easily.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I’m not sure to be honest, Abramovich has tightened the purse strings in recent years and with them so far off Man City and Liverpool this season and a young manager in charge, I can’t see him changing that. 

Neither of us know tbf, so you might be right - I just can’t see it. Ziyech as well, that’s another £40 million to take into account. Maybe if they’re going to pay the Havertz deal in instalments I could see it, but no way we’ll ask for anything but money up front for Chilwell, like Maguire. 

Edit: correct me if I’m wrong as well, but the bit about instalments got me thinking, haven’t we got money due for Mahrez again from Man City for this window? 

In essence we have already had the Mahrez money, we took out a loan to have it all upfront with the installments from Man City going straight to the bank to pay it off

Edited by moore_94

50 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Not that bothered about Chilwell as a player individually. If he stays great if we sell I don’t mind. What I don’t want though is repeatedly selling our top players every year. We’ve done fantastically well in replacing the players we’ve sold but eventually the scouting team will make mistakes. We’ll eventually sign poorer players despite pocketing the cash. 

We have sold one of our better players for that last 4 seasons, Kante (2016), Drinkwater (2017), Mahrez (2018), Maguire (2019). I think its something that we we have to accept unless we continually hit top 4 or 6 for a number of seasons. 

I don't think one a season is too bad or that much of a risk, its when you do a Southampton and see 2 or 3 move on in one go!

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

We have sold one of our better players for that last 4 seasons, Kante (2016), Drinkwater (2017), Mahrez (2018), Maguire (2019). I think its something that we we have to accept unless we continually hit top 4 or 6 for a number of seasons. 

It’s now at the point where our team is so good, we’re selling one of our ‘good’ players for a massive fee. 

I’m not saying sell or don’t sell, but anywhere north of £50m for Chilwell is staggering sum. It could be well above that if two or more teams show interest.