Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if you really beleive that if both clubs offer the same salary it would make us competive with the likes of the historic Top 4.....!!!!

It's "that name" on the cv that drives a player, we can not and should not disrupt our wages policy and attempt to compete in a market that really does not exist.

Nah I'm not talking about the financial aspect of competing and I agree that we should not spend beyond our means to compete with these teams.

I meant for any of our players currently with us atm, we are a side that are capable of challenging for European football year on year and probably have the same odds as Chelsea, spurs, arsenal or united of getting there. So if I was Chilwell and looking at it from a footballing viewpoint, not financial, there would be no reason for me to move there. Obviously we don't compete with these clubs for foreign players but I don't think these clubs have enough of a pull over us to take our players from us for a undercut price.

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

The only way we're similar level to Chelsea is on the pitch.

They can sign Werner, he wouldn't have come here. Off the pitch we have to do everything right to stay in the CL spots mid term, Chelsea just have to be average to be there. 

Agreed, but my point was for any of our players with us at the moment, I don't see Chelsea being a big enough pull to leave us at the moment. That might change in a couple of years, but from a footballing point of view, it's not really a progression. 

7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

The Ricardo/Chilwell debate baffles me. Ricardo obviously progressed a hell of a lot. Chilwell could do it, but it’s unlikely. 

Ricardo isn’t just a good fullback/wingback. He’s a player who when we’re struggling for creativity during a game, comes and looks for the ball, creates, drives the team forward at a ridiculous rate for a right back. How many full backs in the world do a team or group of supporters look towards when we need a goal? Not many. 

Every time he gets the ball you expect something to happen, for a fullback that is an anomaly. 

I'd go as far as saying Ricardo is one of the best players I've seen play for us in my 30 years of supporting the club. Not only does he do all of the above, but he does it consistently too. There aren't too many times when he's scoring less than a 7/10 and most of the time is getting 8/10 or higher. For someone that is quite short and not the strongest he also has a phenomenal number of successful tackles and his engine in terms of getting up and down is ridiculous. I think it sums up the man that the medical team were shocked that he ruptured his ACL because he kept playing on despite the injury. So not only is he a fantastic player, he's brave too. He's also a role model I think for any kid that wants to be a pro. A fabulous player and human being. He will for sure leave us as some point, but I won't be mad because he deserves to play at the very highest levels of the game.

For Chilwell, his upper potential and ceiling is very high, which is probably what Lampard and Ashley Cole (who would know a thing or two about being a left back) see in him. I think with the right coach and enough time Chilwell could get to same level as Andy Robertson of Liverpool for example. The thing is, I would rate Brendan Rodgers as a much better coach to achieve that with than Frank Lampard giving the relative experience of the two.

Anyway since 2016 we've lost Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater and Maguire plus saw the greatest owner probably in the history of the Premier League pass away. And despite all that we are 3rd in the table, play great football and have a young, dynamic and vibrant squad. If Chilwell goes we'll get tons of money and reinvest it smartly, at least that's what our previous history tells us. And instead if he stays then as long as his head isn't turned, I'd expect to see him continue to improve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shailen said:

Nah I'm not talking about the financial aspect of competing and I agree that we should not spend beyond our means to compete with these teams.

I meant for any of our players currently with us atm, we are a side that are capable of challenging for European football year on year and probably have the same odds as Chelsea, spurs, arsenal or united of getting there. So if I was Chilwell and looking at it from a footballing viewpoint, not financial, there would be no reason for me to move there. Obviously we don't compete with these clubs for foreign players but I don't think these clubs have enough of a pull over us to take our players from us for a undercut price.

..football wise..we may be able to compete!!!

You have to see it from a players point of view, a player not emotionally invested or having a sense of loyalty to the club. The option to move is not a difficult one.

Not to disparage Ricardo, he's great, but people are talking about Chilwell like he's a headless chicken who couldn't locate his arse from his elbow in the attacking final third.

This PL Season:

Ricardo: 3 goals 2 assists

Chilwell: 2 goals 3 assists

BuT cHiLwElL cAn'T KiCk A bAlL sTrAiGhT sEll FoR £5 miLLiOn

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

Not to disparage Ricardo, he's great, but people are talking about Chilwell like he's a headless chicken who couldn't locate his arse from his elbow in the attacking final third.

This PL Season:

Ricardo: 3 goals 2 assists

Chilwell: 2 goals 3 assists

BuT cHiLwElL cAn'T KiCk A bAlL sTrAiGhT sEll FoR £5 miLLiOn

Padded his stats against Southampton :ph34r:

You have to see it from a players point of view, a player not emotionally invested or having a sense of loyalty to the club. The option to move is not a difficult one.

I totally get the argument, but logically would you move to Spurs, Arsenal, United or Chelsea and risk being on the bench when you're a star in a team which is doing equally well this season and is young and likely to only get better. 

From a players career point of view, its a risk which can backfire like Drinkwater who has struggled to get a game in relegation threatened teams. If Man City or Liverpool were after our players I'd totally get it, or if the player has an affinity to the club like Maddison being a United fan growing up, then fair play, but from a footballing viewpoint, it's a huge risk for what is currently a sideways move. 

3 hours ago, Shane said:

Complete guesswork but is it possible all these rumours could just be Chilwell’s agent trying to get a better contract? Ricardo, Soyuncu, Maddison & Evans need new contracts and maybe Chilwell’s agent is trying to force our hand. 

Chelsea want him 

Ben is emotionally invested in the club ......but he has to balance his career and his livelihood and security for the rest of his life. 

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Chelsea want him 

Ben is emotionally invested in the club ......but he has to balance his career and his livelihood and security for the rest of his life. 

I don't know what he earns, but I suspect it would be upward of £50000 a week, which equates to £2.5 mil a year over 10 years is £25 mil. I think you could live pretty well with this sort of income for the rest of your life. This would be a minimum income, no doubt he has endorsements and will negotiate a better deal with Leicester in the not too distant future. OK he might get more per week at Chelsea, but either way he should be comfortable for the rest of his life with sound financial advice.

Edited by MGLCFC

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Chelsea want him 

...strange that!!

He is playing International football, he could quite easily find himself on the £100k a week bracket. All this he would have achieved at this club, he has security at the top of his profession, for us mortals that would be enough,....players just do not think that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

I don't know what he earns, but I suspect it would be upward of £50000 a week, which equates to £2.5 mil a year over 10 years is £25 mil. I think you could live pretty well with this sort of income for the rest of your life. This would be a minimum income, no doubt he has endorsements and will negotiate a better deal with Leicester in the not too distant future. OK he might get more per week at Chelsea, but either way he should be comfortable for the rest of his life with door financial advice.

40% tax takes that down to £15m

Chilwell will be used to a certain lifestyle when he retires. Nice house, nice cars, nice holidays and a lifestyle that he doesn't have to worry too much about what he's spending.

When he retires he'll have 50/60 years of life expectation ahead of him, he'll want to earn as much as he can, while he can.

Like I said that's on a minimum of £50000 a week. He probably can command £100000 per week which doubles his net income to £30 mil. If you can't invest £30 mil wisely, then you've got a poor accountant.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

40% tax takes that down to £15m

Chilwell will be used to a certain lifestyle when he retires. Nice house, nice cars, nice holidays and a lifestyle that he doesn't have to worry too much about what he's spending.

When he retires he'll have 50/60 years of life expectation ahead of him, he'll want to earn as much as he can, while he can.

If you’ve ever had money then you tend to adjust the way you live to spend it!  So when you then don’t have that income you simply can’t work out how you can’t manage on the kind of sums which used to be no issue for you ! 

and at any time, he could suffer a career ending injury. 

at this stage of his career, he wants to strike a balance of paying regularly and holding his england place (that will also happen at Chelsea) and increasingly his earnings significantly.  I would expect he can double his current earnings for a five year period plus a s/o fee/loyalty payment amounting to around  5m at least.   What would you do ??.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...strange that!!

He is playing International football, he could quite easily find himself on the £100k a week bracket. All this he would have achieved at this club, he has security at the top of his profession, for us mortals that would be enough,....players just do not think that way.

What are you on about? 

Successful footballers are always striving to be the best and get to the highest point they can. A footballers career is ~15 years to get as high as possible, so you can understand why players continually look for the best place to be. 

Chelsea are a bigger club and moving there would likely give Chilwell the chance of winning trophies sooner than with us. 

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

What are you on about? 

Successful footballers are always striving to be the best and get to the highest point they can. A footballers career is ~15 years to get as high as possible, so you can understand why players continually look for the best place to be. 

Chelsea are a bigger club and moving there would likely give Chilwell the chance of winning trophies sooner than with us. 

..you have just repeated what I have just stated.!!!

I actually don't think £80 million is that outlandish given the context of how the Maguire sale has skewed the market. We'd be selling to a direct rival, he's young, an international regular, a valuable part of how we play, and has a good period of time left on his contract. We've no obligation to sell for any less.

I can't believe I'm writing this after seeing the likes of Ryan McGivern turn out for us, but if we sell Chilwell for something like £50 million (as an example) even in the current climate, we've been robbed.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 1

Especially considering Chilwells age, I hope his advisors are not trying to force him to take the Chelsea move too early and make a bit of extra money in the short term, but at the risk of making less over his career because he jumped too soon.

Players must and will weigh this up when considering whether to move. Of course he will think he is good enough, but he's settled here in a great club and has become England's number one left back as a result. He can get as much here footballing wise as if he was at Chelsea in the short term most definitely. 

The media are not going to stop with this until the transfer window closes!! Especially now they have signed Werner. I read last night they are walking away as price to high and LCFC have said he isnt for sale and there is no need to sell. Could be agent pushing interest up and trying to get a good move or increased contract?  I cannot see why he would move other than money. I think Brendan is a better coach. Both are young teams on a journey so that feels like a sideways move and not a step up. I did read a little while ago about a new contract for him so maybe thats what his agent is after along with Madders and Cags? 

Edited by Hales

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Apparently up to 7 clubs are interested in him, not just Chelsea.

Yes but 99% of LCFC fans think he's rubbish :facepalm:

We have the second best set of fullbacks in the league and yet people still target Chilwell. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Yes but 99% of LCFC fans think he's rubbish :facepalm:

We have the second best set of fullbacks in the league and yet people still target Chilwell. 

I agree he is disproportionately slated, at the same time though, that sort of bid comes in, would you be unhappy to sell?