Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

22 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

It might well be, but we're talking about whether Chilwell is a top left-back and whether he is worth upwards of £60m. If he has been coached to a level where he can't cross the ball properly then it goes without saying he is not a top player.

Luke Thomas has come through the same system with the same coaches like Beaglehole and Peake and is one of the best natural crossers of the ball from full-back I've seen at City for a long time. I look at Albrighton and even he can struggle to mix up his crosses beyond that 'chop back on the corner of the box, loft one in to the back post' thing. Thomas has shown variety in the pace and style of his crosses while still being accurate.

Fair enough. Its weird because when chilwell mixes it up with crossing the result is much better, but i agree he doesn't do that enough.

Agree on thomas. Really exciting player it he can improve other parts of his game. Lot to learn from players like chilwell and Ricardo but looks some prospect and his crossing is superb

13 minutes ago, Brenfox said:

Anyone think this will drag on & then he will sign on Deadline day?

Well we absolutely can't afford for that to happen. Why we haven't put some sort of deadline on this I've no idea. It impacts on out whole summer's business, surely (if we actually have any plans 😪)

On 11/08/2020 at 12:55, jeffschlupp said:

Anyone defending his crossing has no knowledge of the technique required.

I've never seen a supposedly top level full-back only cross if he can roll the ball from the sole of his boot first, look up, lean back, and then float it. Because he leans back and floats them he is always off balance when he strikes it, so he doesn't get the full weight behind the ball to get a good strike with pace on it. The rare ones we've scored from like Iborra at Brighton were only because we had a big guy in the box who was unmarked.

Ricardo can flash balls across the box at the byline; drill them in at head height, cross with both feet, and has the top technique to do all of it. Chilwell is nowhere near him in this regard, he often even struggles to square it/cut back to Barnes or Vardy half the time. I mean look at Chilwell's goal against Chelsea, it all comes from a shit cross from his side that Ricardo had to salvage.

I maintain we will improve without him going forwards. Defensively I actually think he's quite decent but we've seen him get torn by Riyad through basic errors of showing him inside, and he isn't great at the back post either.

If the pandemic hadn't struck and Ricardo not got injured, we'd have all been absolutely fuming if Chilwell was back in for Justin for the Watford game. That sums it up.

I couldn't agree more with this. Nicely put 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

"EXCLUSIVE: Man Utd aren't satisfied Leicester had their pants down quite far enough last year and are back for more."

80 mil. :appl:Jesus

6 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

"EXCLUSIVE: Leicester aren't satisfied Man Utd had their pants down quite far enough last year and are back for more."

Fixed it for you!

Sorry... Cancel that.... I misread it in my brain!

Edited by KansasFox
mis-read and quoted
  • Like 1

Just now, 4everfox said:

In what way did we come off worse from selling Maguire for a world record 80 million?

With the second half of the season, and certainly the latter stages, strength in depth. We’d all agree Soyuncu has meant we’ve not missed him much, but he’d have been a damn sight better as an option than Bennett and to an extent Wes as well

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
13 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

With the second half of the season, and certainly the latter stages, strength in depth. We’d all agree Soyuncu has meant we’ve not missed him much, but he’d have been a damn sight better as an option than Bennett and to an extent Wes as well

That doesn't alter the fact Maguire isn't worth 80 million plus. 40 million yes 80 million would be a present day Bobby Moore and Maguire ain't that.

Just now, Markyblue said:

That doesn't alter the fact Maguire isn't worth 80 million plus. 40 million yes 80 million would be a present day Bobby Moore and Maguire ain't that.

Oh no absolutely not! We diddled them good and proper on the fee, but in terms of how we suffered because of the lack of depth in the squad, that’s where we came off worst. We can certainly laugh that they overpaid for him, but he was not a bad player. He wanted to go, Cags more than stepped up to replace him, but we didn’t have the backup. Bennett was a stop gap because we couldn’t get what we want in January, and we left it too late in the summer window 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hales said:

Well replacing 2 members of the first team is a job isn't it? The "rule" is one player each year too? Just curious really.....

I think the rules is more like sell one player we really rate because we can get a silly fee. I'm not sure brendan does rate nacho, and would actually be quite willing to trade him for someone else.

5 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Does Nacho fancy a go at LB then? 

What? I was just asking a question as the "rule" is generally 1 first team player sold so I was wondering if one was sold would they sell the other too did anyone think? Just a curious question that's all? 🤷‍♀️

My personal thought is BR would rather Kel went than Ben.....

Edited by Hales