Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

30 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Do find it funny people getting cross about not signing chilwell's replacement. Chelsea want havertz about all else, need a centre back and a goalkeeper before a left back. I reckon it'll get done next summer.

Agreed, just can’t see it this window.

And with any luck Luke Thomas will have had a season at Championship level by then, and will be ready to assume the mantle!

35 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Do find it funny people getting cross about not signing chilwell's replacement. Chelsea want havertz about all else, need a centre back and a goalkeeper before a left back. I reckon it'll get done next summer.

i can live with that unless we have an amazing campaign  ……  in which case he should stay for another year !

1 hour ago, Mawuli said:

Alot of you seem to have the opinion that Ben Chilwell is a very good left back,so I ask, what does he do that literally any other left back in the league does not

Hes very quick, wins way more aerial duels than most full backs and covers/makes a lot of distance. A lot of the hatred for him is because he passes backwards a lot which is because he's run forward 40 yards with the ball, overlaps a lot too.

Hes not perfect but hes still young, learning and is England's first choice and coveted by a lot of the bigger and better teams than us.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bmt said:

Hes very quick, wins way more aerial duels than most full backs and covers/makes a lot of distance. A lot of the hatred for him is because he passes backwards a lot which is because he's run forward 40 yards with the ball, overlaps a lot too.

Hes not perfect but hes still young, learning and is England's first choice and coveted by a lot of the bigger and better teams than us.

What you have just described are his athletic attributes, if that's what we wanted we could have signed usian Bolt.

Chilwell is not a good left back, whether that is the story for now or whether he will get better I do not know,but I really don't want to head into the season with just him as our starting left back. I just don't see any evidence showing that his crossing, passing, decision making and defending is getting better,it's been quite shocking that whenever someone else has played there we look more solid and Barnes looks less invisible

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mawuli said:

Alot of you seem to have the opinion that Ben Chilwell is a very good left back,so I ask, what does he do that literally any other left back in the league does not

Well pretty sure no other professional footballers have a wooden right leg.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
2 hours ago, Mawuli said:

No other left back in history (not even Maldini) has generated 64 pages on his thread and the century is definitely within his grasp.

It’s weird to know England’s left back, coveted by the top teams in the Prem, who came though our academy, who we watched (sometimes painfully) develop doesn’t get much love here. Under the right coach he could really excel but I suspect that’ll be elsewhere now. I reckon we’ll be watching Thomas develop next season.

Edited by Foxxed

On 05/08/2020 at 21:43, dylanlegend said:

Everyone talking about replacements?

We have Fuchs who is better anyway and 3 weeks ago our 19yo youth prospect Luke Thomas was the best LB in the world!?

Liked the post not perhaps for the reason expected as I do consider fuchs a good player still, however I am not sure fuchs would manage playing every game now.

5 hours ago, Mawuli said:

He starts for England.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kopic said:

He starts for England.

Look at the other options though? 😂 Jake Livermore was a starter for England a few years ago when there was no other options. Playing for England doesnt mean you are an elite footballer anymore.

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Look at the other options though? 😂 Jake Livermore was a starter for England a few years ago when there was no other options. Playing for England doesnt mean you are an elite footballer anymore.

no but he asked what he does that no other left back does.

I think his crossing isn't as bad as some people say but, and it's a big but to me, it's when there is such an obvious and relatively easy ball to play from the byline or near it and it just requires a bit of whip and he'll almost every time do a little dink that either floats on to a giant centre backs head or harmlessly out of play. When he whips a ball in they can be quite good he just has this habit of standing it up to nowhere. 

There is no doubt that Chilwell has had a tough season this term. It’s easy to forget that this is his second full season as our established left back, and he’s still only 23. His first full season he had an extremely good campaign, and has gone on to establish himself as the main contender for England left back - granted it isn’t as competitive as the right back slot, but he has produced on the international stage. Up until Christmas he was having another good season, but since the etihad where he was doubled up on by Mahrez and De Bruyne - something many left backs would struggle with, he has undeniably suffered a dip in form and lost confidence. However, there’s nothing to say his development is finished at 23, quite the opposite. He looked good coming out of the lockdown, one of the few who did until the injury curtailed his season. There’s a reason that the ‘bigger fish’ are circling. Not just on the past few months but on how they feel they can develop him. The competition he would have in a stronger squad would push him harder as well - Fuchs sadly is not good enough for the position we are striving to maintain, and although he did well in his three games, Thomas is by no means a ready made replacement - in time he potentially could be. We could do with stronger competition for Chilwell rather than replacing him. I do however accept that of the saleable assets we have, Chilwell would be the one I would be least uncomfortable about having to sell, but I think he would be harder to replace than people think. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think his crossing isn't as bad as some people say but, and it's a big but to me, it's when there is such an obvious and relatively easy ball to play from the byline or near it and it just requires a bit of whip and he'll almost every time do a little dink that either floats on to a giant centre backs head or harmlessly out of play. When he whips a ball in they can be quite good he just has this habit of standing it up to nowhere. 

The boy has the ability to deliver any sort of cross - no doubt about that. He also has the ability to consistently choose the wrong option, and this is highlighted because he gets into really good positions 4 or 5 times a game.

He’s a good left back but the reason he is not exposed in an England shirt is because his attacking game is superior to his defending game. England attack more than they defend... unlike us against the ‘better’ teams, against the better players he gets exposed defensively (Mahrez destroyed him)

Think of it this way.... if we have 60m spare would we sign Chilwell? No we wouldn’t and shouldn’t spend that much on a left back. I’d rather have the money IF (big IF) we invest it wisely but of course I’m more than happy to keep him also, I like the fact we have player in the first 11 for England and the way they play he’s the best player in that position 

If we sold him for 60m but signed 2 quality young players I’d be more than happy

Chelsea are being linked to Sergio Reguilon more and more. By all accounts he’s the La Liga Andy Robertson so I’m surprised Madrid would let him go cheaply. He’s had a good season at Sevilla though.

Maybe, just maybe, we’re starting to advance beyond the point where clubs can bully us and unsettle players into wanting to leave. 

• Like 2