Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

8 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Insinuating that thomas could have a higher potential than chilwell off of 3 games is still ridiculous. Let's be honest here you wouldnt be saying stuff like that if you didnt think there was any truth to it and you're clearly set on us selling chilwell, your opinion is quite obvious even if you're not willing to fully commit to it. 'Could be debated' is generally what people say when they want to state their actual opinion without being made fun of.

Look Ben, some of us just think we'd be better off selling you and investing the money in the team. Try not to take it so personally.

• Haha 2

If Manure want Chilwell and cough up the 80m let him go ...   they will be very happy at having half the England back 4 and when Maguire pings the ball to his feet and he races upfield and gets a cross in they will be very happy with buying him.  (He never seemed to have the same understanding with Cags)  ...    but please,  just do it now so that they do not gain the high ground just before the season starts and we can reinvest wisely.

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

even Chilwell said himself he was pretty average compared to the other lads in an interview last year until the later years in the academy when he really developed physically. 

He was supposedly a better cricketer than footballer until about he was about 16/17. 

I say all this but I never watched him as a kid obvs, so just going off what the man himself said. But maybe that was him being self-critical when coaches thought different.

Yeah possibly his own lack of belief, but I heard about him being one to look

out for before 2015. I might be wrong, but I think he captained most of the academy teams? 

Looks like I need to knock some sense into some people on here!

Chilly is a class player who does what it says on the tin and for where our club sits right now in stature he is someone most fans would fume at if he wasn't on the matchday team sheet.

Thomas - he's got a lot of talent but he isn't a PL player yet and needs developing. If chilly leaves then we need reinforcements over and above fuchs and Thomas (and justin).

= If you sell chilly then you'll spend a 3rd of his sell on fee of that cash for a LB replacement that might/might not work out.

Id prefer for us to over commit to spend this window, keep chilly but sell him next year after our club stature/EL increases further and other 1st team players values increase.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

'Could be debated' is generally what people say when they want to state their actual opinion without being made fun of.

You're very good at reading people's minds, aren't you? Here was me thinking that's what they said when they thought something wasn't out of the question; when something is a fairly close call and not a ludicrous comparison.

4 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

You're very good at reading people's minds, aren't you? Here was me thinking that's what they said when they thought something wasn't out of the question; when something is a fairly close call and not a ludicrous comparison.

Could be debated that youre a bit miffed at my comments.

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach

I hardly remember any body saying Luke Thomas should be given a chance in the match team until Rodger's hand was forced. In fact if I would have proposed it I would have been laughed at. Could he replace Chilwell permanently ? Maybe, but not yet. If Man.City would like to replace Zinchenko , I would certainly take our Ukrainian friend in part exchange. He looks sound enough to me and we could match his salary I'm sure. Please remember though that Luke, KDH , Hirst  etc. are Leicester players and should be supported by us , none of us really know yet how good they could become.

6 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Looks like I need to knock some sense into some people on here!

Chilly is a class player who does what it says on the tin and for where our club sits right now in stature he is someone most fans would fume at if he wasn't on the matchday team sheet.

Thomas - he's got a lot of talent but he isn't a PL player yet and needs developing. If chilly leaves then we need reinforcements over and above fuchs and Thomas (and justin).

= If you sell chilly then you'll spend a 3rd of his sell on fee of that cash for a LB replacement that might/might not work out.

Id prefer for us to over commit to spend this window, keep chilly but sell him next year after our club stature/EL increases further and other 1st team players values increase.

Cant say ive met many of them fans myself? 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

I guess you'd prefer fuchs as our regular LB 🤔

Not anymore but i wouldnt be that bothered if he wasnt playing? Hes not a Ricardo who can drastically effect the outcome of the game where we suffer from badly if hes not playing, hes just one of the ones who makes up the numbers that players like Justin could easily fill in for. If Fuchs was 3/4 years younger and could still get up and down the pitch then Chilwell wouldnt get a sniff, Fuchs has and will always be a better technical footballer then Chilwell but obviously an older body lets him down.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I guess you'd prefer fuchs as our regular LB 🤔

there are far too many Fuchs fanboys that have constantly dug out Chilwell, having a go at him for things other players don't get picked up on

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I hardly remember any body saying Luke Thomas should be given a chance in the match team until Rodger's hand was forced. In fact if I would have proposed it I would have been laughed at. Could he replace Chilwell permanently ? Maybe, but not yet. If Man.City would like to replace Zinchenko , I would certainly take our Ukrainian friend in part exchange. He looks sound enough to me and we could match his salary I'm sure. Please remember though that Luke, KDH , Hirst  etc. are Leicester players and should be supported by us , none of us really know yet how good they could become.

Spot on, well said. Some of the criticism that some of our young players get when just starting out, including Chilwell when he first burst onto the scene, is absolutely cringeworthy. We talk about players showing loyalty but for some it's a one way street.

Can you imagine the sort of pressure on a young lad like Thomas, understanding the importance of his first matches, yet having to try and compete with the likes of Kane and Son. It's a very big ask and I for one thought under the circumstances, he did brilliantly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

He was highly rated but not as highly as chilwell was. People thinking Thomas is an upgrade on chilwell based off just a few games is ridiculous, yes he's got a better final pass but he will have other shortcomings compared to chilwell. For example i watched a few u23 games and while thomas was generally excellent he made quite a few defensive errors under little pressure, which worries me if he was to become a first team starter next year.

Both captained England youth teams didn't they? I think Chilwell was a bit more advanced in getting in to our U23's than Thomas but both seem to be quite similar in their development generally. Either way, Thomas is quite clearly highly rated and Rodgers and the club have said so. Still a long way for him to go to be a PL regular but his attacking ability shows real end product already. A season in the Championship would be ideal if we have the luxury of being able to give him that and not need him ourselves.

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

He was highly rated but not as highly as chilwell was. People thinking Thomas is an upgrade on chilwell based off just a few games is ridiculous, yes he's got a better final pass but he will have other shortcomings compared to chilwell. For example i watched a few u23 games and while thomas was generally excellent he made quite a few defensive errors under little pressure, which worries me if he was to become a first team starter next year.

They rate thomas more highly than chilwell - they absolutely love Luke.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

They rate thomas more highly than chilwell - they absolutely love Luke.

I wonder if they are considering the ‘risky’ move of not replacing Chillwell but getting an understudy to Thomas

Edited by MPH

If we really want to progress we can't be a club who keep selling our best players. We put a premium price on Chilwell, simple as that imo. Thomas will be great in the future, a good replacement when Chilwell is injured or to push him (and others) for that first team place. It also shows we're a club with ambition and a club players will want to stay at and be attracted to.  

17 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

If we really want to progress we can't be a club who keep selling our best players. We put a premium price on Chilwell, simple as that imo. Thomas will be great in the future, a good replacement when Chilwell is injured or to push him (and others) for that first team place. It also shows we're a club with ambition and a club players will want to stay at and be attracted to.  

No club with the exception of one or two can keep hold of their best players, eventually they want to move on, to try a different country, to win different trophies, to start a new life, to try a different climate, for more game time, to play for a bigger club or to play with international friends.

You want to obviously keep your best players but if someone's offering double what they're worth, you reluctantly let them go. As an example, Kane is absolutely vital to Spurs, but if Madrid come along and offer 200m, you can put money on him leaving if he wants to.

• Like 1