Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

Name a better English left back? He deserves his place in the England team. 

His stats for England are impressive. His stats for Leicester are impressive but for some reason he is most fans scapegoat maybe because Ricardo is go good on the other side? Or maybe fans just just don't like him? Who knows. But yeah let's sell him, improve a rival and replace him with someone most likely to have never played in the premier league. 

But I will say like all of our team he has a price and it's our business model. If we were to get 75+ it's a different argument. But 40 mill like you stated earlier you are not going to get better than what we have without taking a massive risk. 

Agree 👍

I also think (not suggesting leicesterseddon) that some fans just don’t like him, In some jealous bitter way. Maybe it’s his social media stuff, or his relationship to madders? I don’t know, but I think it presses some very bitter and entitled buttons.

for the record, as much as he can have bad games, I don’t think there has been a better English left back in some time, and that we are lucky to have him.

Edited by turkish14
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I would argue that Maguire is still the best English CB . Lack of pace and slow recovery are certainly poor points. However he is intelligent and his spatial awareness is very good. He doesn't often make rash tackles and is superb in the air , something we have missed. No he wasn't worth 80 million but Man. Utd. are suckers for overpaying. They are even considering paying 100 million for a kid with a tatoo fetish.

I'd probably agree with this however context is key. England at centre back are in the worst shape I've seen them in my lifetime.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Disagree on chilwell, he is a world class talent

I mean that's just plainly absurd. 

Even if you think he's got the potential to be, he clearly isn't right now. 

This sort of hyperbole is exactly the problem on here. He's either dogshit Sunday league or he's "a world class talent." Both sides are nuts. 

@goose2010 and who do you expect us to sell to if not a divisional rival? Chilwell's value is literally halved if not more to a club that isn't English. Besides, few clubs in the world have the kind of money we can get off Premier league teams.

Our business model depends on selling to them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

£80m being spoke of today. I like Chilwell, think he's a good player but for that sort of Wonga I'll drive down and drop him off at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge myself!

He's a decent player..but extremely overrated!

80m!!!!....

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I reckon spent wisely, especially in the current climate, you could replace Chilwell with someone on the continent for £30m, a Soyuncu type acquisition in an ideal world. That would leave £50m to go and get a top wide player, a genuine difference maker and even then you wouldn't have spent a penny in net terms yet this window.

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

He's a decent player..but extremely overrated!

80m!!!!....

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

It's the way of the EPL though isn't it, astronomically inflated fees, typically for English players. A great model is to develop and sell to other EPL clubs but only purchase in that market yourself if you absolutely have to.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Disagree on chilwell, he is a world class talent, he's absolutely excellent on his day, his biggest problem is his decision making, something that can be improved on. Imo he has everything in his locker to be as good as robertson. He isnt the same as maguire where you can get an easy improvement.

Come on, now. Chilwell is not world class. 'His day' happens far too infrequently for that to be the case. You only need to compare him to Ricardo to see how far off he is.

I even think it can be argued that Thomas has a higher ceiling judging off the few 1st team apps he's made. What impressed me with LT was how much more dangerous he looked than Ben in the final third and how well he linked up with Barnes. It was a breath of fresh air. How often do we see Ben getting annoyed with Harvey when something doesn't come off? Makes you wonder who's really at fault when that happens. Thomas's assist on his debut is something I can't picture Chilwell doing. In that same position, Chilwell would almost certainly have gone to the byline and either paused before crossing, or ran the ball out of play.

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

It's the way of the EPL though isn't it, astronomically inflated fees, typically for English players. A great model is to develop and sell to other EPL clubs but only purchase in that market yourself if you absolutely have to.

Yup, and those who end up in Europe as a rarity, this can become a brave new world of risk versus reward (HG quotas etc)

• Like 1

Also another thing is that some fans seem to think chilwell is going to become a top 10 left back.

Sure,he might. But then what else,do you think he stays with us? We don't have time to look after chilwell for him to get to his prime years right now,we have a rare opportunity to cement our place in the top 6 and chilwell is not the left back to help us right now

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This sort of hyperbole is exactly the problem on here. He's either dogshit Sunday league or he's "a world class talent." Both sides are nuts. 

@goose2010 and who do you expect us to sell to if not a divisional rival? Chilwell's value is literally halved if not more to a club that isn't English. Besides, few clubs in the world have the kind of money we can get off Premier league teams.

I said world class talent, not that he's world class, it's not absurd to say that. I geuninely believe he will be world class by the time he's 25.

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I agree he isn't world class that statement gets used far to often. 

I wouldn't sell him this year. His value won't drop this year if he plays regularly for us and I would either by someone as a potential replacement this season ready for next or stick with Thomas as a back up and getting him game time and around the first team. It's worked well with Soyunchu. Justin looks like he isn't far off either. We sell for 80 mill we will get  shafted trying to buy someone as clubs will just use it against us. 

I wonder if we have transfers ready to complete, but need this sale to go through first.

I'd be sad to see him go. But he'd be just about replacable. Will be frustrating to see him get booed by the very fans that currently say they don't want him. He'll be a top class full back in a year or two, if he isn't already. If only left backs weren't meant to score or assist every week eh!?

56 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Disagree on chilwell, he is a world class talent, he's absolutely excellent on his day, his biggest problem is his decision making, something that can be improved on. Imo he has everything in his locker to be as good as robertson. He isnt the same as maguire where you can get an easy improvement.

Come on, now. Chilwell is not a world class talent. 'His day' happens far too infrequently for that to be the case. You only have to compare him to Ricardo on the other side to see how far off he is.

I even think it can be argued that Thomas has a higher ceiling judging from the few 1st team apps he's had. What impressed me about LT was how much more dangerous he looked than Ben in the final third and how well he linked up with Barnes. It was a breath of fresh air. How often do we see Ben getting annoyed with Harvey when something doesn't come off? Makes you wonder who's really at fault. Thomas's assist on his debut is something I just can't picture Ben doing. In that same situation, Ben would have almost certainly gone to the byline and paused before crossing, or ran the ball out of play.

5 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I wouldn't sell him this year.

I mean this just depends on so much. If we don't sell him and United go somewhere else to get a left back then we miss our window and nobody needs him. 

If we don't sell him, maybe we have to sell Ricardo or Soyuncu. Or, maybe we don't sell anyone and we can only afford one 30m transfer. 

At the end of the day, our business model is becoming very much sell one major asset a year and use that to build. That's smart. It's not realistic that we keep everyone every season. Almost nobody except the biggest clubs manage that. 

Yes, we have billionaire owners, but we must have learned by now that they aren't going to pump in massive injections of their own cash. Stadium expansions and training grounds, these things cost cash. The TV money and the prize money, it only goes so far if you don't suppliment it with sales. 

6 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I agree he isn't world class that statement gets used far to often. 

I wouldn't sell him this year. His value won't drop this year if he plays regularly for us and I would either by someone as a potential replacement this season ready for next or stick with Thomas as a back up and getting him game time and around the first team. It's worked well with Soyunchu. Justin looks like he isn't far off either. We sell for 80 mill we will get  shafted trying to buy someone as clubs will just use it against us. 

So, you wouldn't accept a bid of £80m for Chilwell just because clubs will overcharge us for a replacement? I can't believe this. If someone offers you £80m for Chilwell, you try your hardest to keep a straight face and snatch their hands off. There is no other sane option.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

So, you wouldn't accept a bid of £80m for Chilwell just because clubs will overcharge us for a replacement? I can't believe this. If someone offers you £80m for Chilwell, you try your hardest to keep a straight face and snatch their hands off. There is no other sane option.

You've obviously not read anything apart from that one post that I've said. I have said the complete opposite. 

I love Ben Chillwell and think we will miss him when he has gone. I would only take an astronomical amount because to be honest I would prefer not to strenghten a rival and I would like to see how we fair in Europe with a defence of Richardo, Evans, Soyuncu and Chillwell. I think we could do quite well and start to progress ourselves further as a club.

• Thanks 1

Just now, lcfc81 said:

I love Ben Chillwell and think we will miss him when he has gone. I would only take an astronomical amount because to be honest I would prefer not to strenghten a rival and I would like to see how we fair in Europe with a defence of Richardo, Evans, Soyuncu and Chillwell. I think we could do quite well and start to progress ourselves further as a club.

£80m is an astronomical amount tbf.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean this just depends on so much. If we don't sell him and United go somewhere else to get a left back then we miss our window and nobody needs him. 

If we don't sell him, maybe we have to sell Ricardo or Soyuncu. Or, maybe we don't sell anyone and we can only afford one 30m transfer. 

At the end of the day, our business model is becoming very much sell one major asset a year and use that to build. That's smart. It's not realistic that we keep everyone every season. Almost nobody except the biggest clubs manage that. 

Yes, we have billionaire owners, but we must have learned by now that they aren't going to pump in massive injections of their own cash. Stadium expansions and training grounds, these things cost cash. The TV money and the prize money, it only goes so far if you don't suppliment it with sales. 

I get where you're coming from obviously, if we have to sell one of those 3 for me it's a no brainer. 

Much rather we sold Gray, Slimani, Silva, Amarty to raise some of the money :D

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Absolutely this!

It's even more sensible when you can do it with an asset you've created! There's no write offs with Ben, 100% of that cash (minus some bonuses) is ours to keep, no sell on fees to another club, no paying off a previous transfer fee. 

Of course that does mean we can't ask for quite as much. I think if he does go it'll be £60m with some add ons, and personally I think that's fair given he is an academy product. With Maguire we had to consider the amount Hull would also get. 

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

£80m is an astronomical amount tbf.

Agreed, if it materialises I don't think we have much choice.

As much as anything it shows players that develop with us that we won't stand in the way of their development if we get the correct fee for them.

Turning down a uge fee like that might mean we find it harder to get young players to agree long contracts with us, which so far we seem to have done quite well at.