Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

7 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think his crossing isn't as bad as some people say but, and it's a big but to me, it's when there is such an obvious and relatively easy ball to play from the byline or near it and it just requires a bit of whip and he'll almost every time do a little dink that either floats on to a giant centre backs head or harmlessly out of play. When he whips a ball in they can be quite good he just has this habit of standing it up to nowhere. 

Most crosses end up being cleared by CB's or get dealt with by the keeper, some are better at crossing balls than others but as a tactic it's no longer productive, look at Man City and Liverpool, when did you ever see Stirling race down the wing to cross a ball. That's football from ten years ago, Defences are better organised now, I'd even go as far as saying some teams will concede to letting some players have it out wide as they are confident of dealing with crosses.

Chelsea have expressed their interest in signing Ajax left back, Nicholas Tagliafico.
Chelsea have so far failed to reach a deal to sign Ben Chilwell, being too far apart on valuation, although Leicester are believed to have softened demands.

- Sky Sports

3 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Chelsea have expressed their interest in signing Ajax left back, Nicholas Tagliafico.
Chelsea have so far failed to reach a deal to sign Ben Chilwell, being too far apart on valuation, although Leicester are believed to have softened demands.

- Sky Sports

Chelsea can express as much interest in other LBs as they like, it was clear that Ben was the top target, so would suggest they put up or shut up.

If they cannot see how this is going to go, they should chat to the two Manchester clubs....

52 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Most crosses end up being cleared by CB's or get dealt with by the keeper, some are better at crossing balls than others but as a tactic it's no longer productive, look at Man City and Liverpool, when did you ever see Stirling race down the wing to cross a ball. That's football from ten years ago, Defences are better organised now, I'd even go as far as saying some teams will concede to letting some players have it out wide as they are confident of dealing with crosses.

It’s what we did when we had Huth and Morgan. Encourage  teams to cross it and they’ll clear it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, happy85 said:

- Sky Sports

I’ve reached the opinion that Sky make stuff up for click bate. 

They were reporting that Sancho was close to joining Man U weeks ago. Still hasn’t happened. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sly said:

It’s what we did when we had Huth and Morgan. Encourage  teams to cross it and they’ll clear it.

Yes, I'm still amazed when people around me just want us to "get it in the box" I watch Albrighton put twenty odd crosses in the box for everyone to be comfortably dealt with.

10 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Look at the other options though? 😂 Jake Livermore was a starter for England a few years ago when there was no other options. Playing for England doesnt mean you are an elite footballer anymore.

That's not the same though, Chilwell has been really good for England.

13 hours ago, Foxxed said:

It’s weird to know England’s left back, coveted by the top teams in the Prem, who came though our academy, who we watched (sometimes painfully) develop doesn’t get much love here. Under the right coach he could really excel but I suspect that’ll be elsewhere now. I reckon we’ll be watching Thomas develop next season.

Your post mentioning the academy triggered something I really don’t understand. 
how can a player so highly rated be so unwilling to use his weaker foot?  What are the academy coaches doing here?  I find it really frustrating that he constantly pivots when a simple right foot pass would speed things up 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

You only have to look to our League winning season for evidence of that - this was the cornerstone of our defensive setup.

You cross, Morgan and Huth will head it away.

3 minutes ago, crisp packet said:

Our fans still have a small club mentality .

We do not have to sell our best players every year because the media say x, y , z 

Are after them all year .
We have the second best full backs in the league after Liverpool. A huge part of the way we play .
Missed massively in the run in . 

”overhyped “ lol

This kid has been chased since before he came on the scene with us , by Arsenal Liverpool etc now a current starting left back for the National team ? 

Yes let’s sell him . Embarrassing!!!

Have you actually read this forum before?

13 hours ago, bmt said:

Sorry i don't agree. Winning duels isn't just an athletic attribute for a start. I also don't think his crossing is as bad as some people claim. He has had some brilliant crosses when playing for England. 

And i think we would have done much better in the run in with chilwell playing than we did. 

What in gods name? Why are you mentioning his performances with England against teams like Kosovo, I want him crossing the ball and at least putting into the box for Leicester city, most times he either passes back, crosses too high or loses concentration and the ball ends up out of play,I was a big fan of his when the season started and thought it was just bad form, but a whole season worth of mistakes,bad crosses, casually dangling a leg out trying to stop a cross isn't bad form, if Chilwell wasn't from our academy and wasn't british we'd have crucified him already.

1 hour ago, crisp packet said:

Our fans still have a small club mentality .

We do not have to sell our best players every year because the media say x, y , z 

Are after them all year .
We have the second best full backs in the league after Liverpool. A huge part of the way we play .
Missed massively in the run in . 

”overhyped “ lol

This kid has been chased since before he came on the scene with us , by Arsenal Liverpool etc now a current starting left back for the National team ? 

Yes let’s sell him . Embarrassing!!!

I do agree we do not have to sell our best players. Unfortunately for our club the likelihood is we will. Players at Leicester will always want to go to one of the best sides in the world and to double if not further increase wages. We can't begrudge them for that. But we can hold out for their top market value which we have done very well in since Kante. 

We do need superb recruitment such as Soyuncu and JJ. Have these players come in for a year to learn our club and team mates then when we do sell a key player we have a player already to go within the club. 

• Like 1

Anyone defending his crossing has no knowledge of the technique required.

I've never seen a supposedly top level full-back only cross if he can roll the ball from the sole of his boot first, look up, lean back, and then float it. Because he leans back and floats them he is always off balance when he strikes it, so he doesn't get the full weight behind the ball to get a good strike with pace on it. The rare ones we've scored from like Iborra at Brighton were only because we had a big guy in the box who was unmarked.

Ricardo can flash balls across the box at the byline; drill them in at head height, cross with both feet, and has the top technique to do all of it. Chilwell is nowhere near him in this regard, he often even struggles to square it/cut back to Barnes or Vardy half the time. I mean look at Chilwell's goal against Chelsea, it all comes from a shit cross from his side that Ricardo had to salvage.

I maintain we will improve without him going forwards. Defensively I actually think he's quite decent but we've seen him get torn by Riyad through basic errors of showing him inside, and he isn't great at the back post either.

If the pandemic hadn't struck and Ricardo not got injured, we'd have all been absolutely fuming if Chilwell was back in for Justin for the Watford game. That sums it up.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Ha, if he makes the sames mistakes as he does here at Chelsea, the backlash will be 10x worse. He's still the same player, but the expectations go through the roof playing for a team like Chelsea. 

Just look at Maguire, performed probably the same as he did for us. But has been torn apart in the media and by ex-pro's due to his price tag and size of his new club.

Especially with the money Chelsea have spent, there won't be many second chances. 

32 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Ha, if he makes the sames mistakes as he does here at Chelsea, the backlash will be 10x worse. He's still the same player, but the expectations go through the roof playing for a team like Chelsea. 

Factor in the reported fee too, that brings even more pressure

Chelsea fans are also extremely fickle. At the start of the season some were slating Willian, now they’ve just lost him on a free when he’s recently been one of their best players. Karma, I guess.  

51 minutes ago, Mawuli said:

What in gods name? Why are you mentioning his performances with England against teams like Kosovo, I want him crossing the ball and at least putting into the box for Leicester city, most times he either passes back, crosses too high or loses concentration and the ball ends up out of play,I was a big fan of his when the season started and thought it was just bad form, but a whole season worth of mistakes,bad crosses, casually dangling a leg out trying to stop a cross isn't bad form, if Chilwell wasn't from our academy and wasn't british we'd have crucified him already.

How is that a 'what in gods name' comment? I speak about his England performances because his Leicester ones are misremembered by idiots with a vendetta against him. He wasn't bad at the start or end of this season, but fine. A lot of the 'losses of concentration' are actually him trying and failing to recover shit passes from other players, which he wouldn't even be close to getting if he was Fuchs or someone else. Then he gets booed for being close to keeping it in. 

For the record, if people stood behind my desk booing and criticising everything I did I would underperform and eventually quit my job.

I think the passing back is due to instructions to retain the ball. Can't say that for sure, but that's my intuition as Justin seemed to be doing the same thing when he came in for Ricardo near the end of the season.

Completely disagree about the British and academy part. Loads of players from abroad get given more leeway.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I've never seen a supposedly top level full-back only cross if he can roll the ball from the sole of his boot first, look up, lean back, and then float it. Because he leans back and floats them he is always off balance when he strikes it, so he doesn't get the full weight behind the ball to get a good strike with pace on it. The rare ones we've scored from like Iborra at Brighton were only because we had a big guy in the box who was unmarked.

Ricardo can flash balls across the box at the byline; drill them in at head height, cross with both feet, and has the top technique to do all of it. Chilwell is nowhere near him in this regard, he often even struggles to square it/cut back to Barnes or Vardy half the time. I mean look at Chilwell's goal against Chelsea, it all comes from a shit cross from his side that Ricardo had to salvage.

I maintain we will improve without him going forwards. Defensively I actually think he's quite decent but we've seen him get torn by Riyad through basic errors of showing him inside, and he isn't great at the back post either.

If the pandemic hadn't struck and Ricardo not got injured, we'd have all been absolutely fuming if Chilwell was back in for Justin for the Watford game. That sums it up.

Well said, it annoys me how people dismiss the importance of crossing because we don't have a 6ft 4 striker in the box to power headers home. Look at a lot of Vardy's goals this season and they were a result of low crosses or passes in to the box for him to finish. Crossing isn't just lofting high balls in which is food and drink for defenders. 

Chilwell gives the ball away so much in the final third, just seldom seems to make the right call. Ricardo and even Luke Thomas in the few games he played will take the time to look up and assess what is needed before applying the cross or pass, pipe dream that for Chilwell. He leaves it for chance to decide and just feathers one in and often thats that.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

If this is the issue surely it is the coaches at fault. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmt said:

If this is the issue surely it is the coaches at fault. 

It might well be, but we're talking about whether Chilwell is a top left-back and whether he is worth upwards of £60m. If he has been coached to a level where he can't cross the ball properly then it goes without saying he is not a top player.

Luke Thomas has come through the same system with the same coaches like Beaglehole and Peake and is one of the best natural crossers of the ball from full-back I've seen at City for a long time. I look at Albrighton and even he can struggle to mix up his crosses beyond that 'chop back on the corner of the box, loft one in to the back post' thing. Thomas has shown variety in the pace and style of his crosses while still being accurate.