Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

If true what are we thinking the price could be? Wouldn’t want it to be anything less than £65mill.

There’s a lot of decent LB’s on the continent we could probably get for less than £30mil. 

José Gaya/ Grimaldo/ Tagliafico/ Telles 

but tbf if we looking to use the money elsewhere wouldn’t be completely opposed to Bertrand/ Rose for <10mill and then Thomas to challenge for a starting spot next year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hales said:

I hope we keep him for another season as Ricardo is out so JJ is needed for cover there, Thomas not ready yet and Fuchs also injured..... 

Maybe a season long loan is the answer until JJ & Thomas are ready to step up.

Just now, Silva Fox said:

Maybe a season long loan is the answer until JJ & Thomas are ready to step up.

Maybe? I just think even with the crazy fee bring stated if we sell him surely we actually need 2 to replace as currently there is no cover for him or JJ if either became injured...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

What is the fee btw. I’ve heard £57  and £80 million. The accountant in me says the latter would be better.

..I really hope so!!!

Money for what they believe to be the right person is no problem for them. Solskjaer is obviously being backed by his board and unfortunately using us as their feeder team.

We do not have the pulling power to hold on to what is perceived to be a top top player and if you are prepared to pay silly money then you will get that player to boost your first team.

For our finances we are right up their and pound for pound superior in how we have built a team that competes with United.

Getting into the top four will not be easy, possibly unlikely for us, for some time.

6 minutes ago, Hales said:

Maybe? I just think even with the crazy fee bring stated if we sell him surely we actually need 2 to replace as currently there is no cover for him or JJ if either became injured...

I don't think we need 2 players in to replace Chilwell. The injuries will clear up before too long. You don't want to be left with players becoming unhappy because they've got no chance of playing. Until Ricardo and Fuchs recover, we'll have JJ, Thomas and Chilwell's replacement as options. Albrighton as a wing-back in a pinch. Possibly Amartey, as well. I know that's not ideal, but you don't need to buy a player just to cover a position for a month or two. It's better to pick a kid out the academy or play someone out of position than waste funds like that.

Just now, UHDrive said:

Selling him before we've signed any cover or singings period is terrible business with then having to buy at inflated clubs that would rinse us knowing we need that player...

Just because we've sold someone doesn't necessarily give other clubs the green light to have us over. There are half a dozen quality LB's out there who are available this summer and a lot of clubs under financial strain, it's a buyers market.

Also it's a double edged sword if we spend top money on a LB and signals to Chelsea that we'll sell Chilwell cheaper if they just sit tight. I think it's great if we sell Chilwell this early on as it gives us a war chest and we don't have to go all summer with will he, won't he.

Sell him now and lets get on with our spending spree with the proceeds. It also means we've got a fee we're happy with if we sell him this early. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Selling him before we've signed any cover or singings period is terrible business with then having to buy at inflated clubs that would rinse us knowing we need that player...

You would have thought we learned from the Maguire sale.. but we may have not sold Chilwell yet 

If you find yourself asking if this is a good deal or not, do what we do with any incoming transfer and find a YouTube compilation and tell yourself you're paying £80m.

I've just watched 10 minutes of:

Running forward into space

Floated, often aimless, crosses

Sticking a foot in

Cutbacks to nobody in particular

A headed flick on the the opposition

And even a 35 yard pass back to the keeper. 

A video titled "this is why Chelsea want Ben Chilwell"

Really? Really?

2 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

The alternative isn't great, either.

It's harder to attract the player you want to buy if the player you want to sell is still yours, as they have much more competition. They'll wonder if they'll be 1st choice or constantly on the bench. If you do manage to convince the replacement to join before the player you want to sell has gone, then interested parties in the outgoing player know you need to sell and their offers to you are slashed. There's also no guarantee you'll be able to sell at a decent price, so you might end up lumbered with an extra unhappy player and his wages on the books, maybe meaning you're unable to strengthen other areas of the team.

It's a shame that clubs up their prices when they see you and your moneybags coming, but that's just how it is. I don't think there's a way around it, really.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

If you find yourself asking if this is a good deal or not, do what we do with any incoming transfer and find a YouTube compilation and tell yourself you're paying £80m.

I've just watched 10 minutes of:

Running forward into space

Floated, often aimless, crosses

Sticking a foot in

Cutbacks to nobody in particular

A headed flick on the the opposition

And even a 35 yard pass back to the keeper. 

A video titled "this is why Chelsea want Ben Chilwell"

Really? Really?

You watched it, that's all they want. There's thousands of kids/saddos pumping out cringy compilations of every player likely to be linked to a big club.

Besides, why would a Leicester fan need to watch it? lol We should know what he's about. He's an outlet who will charge down the wing all day, fairly solid defensively but susceptible from set pieces like Chelsea & Rudiger took full advantage of a few months ago. Still has potential, chirpy friendly character.

43 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..I was just thinking about this today, wondering why they (United) had not come in for him!!!

His combination with Maguire was noticeable in the way they understood each other and Maguire could find him on the touchline with the "out" ball. I am sure Maguire has had a word and would not be surprised if this move came off.

Chilwell is technically very good, just not very imaginative in the last third.

He wants to be in London .......

7 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

You watched it, that's all they want. There's thousands of kids/saddos pumping out cringy compilations of every player likely to be linked to a big club.

Besides, why would a Leicester fan need to watch it? lol We should know what he's about. He's an outlet who will charge down the wing all day, fairly solid defensively but susceptible from set pieces like Chelsea & Rudiger took full advantage of a few months ago. Still has potential, chirpy friendly character.

What I'm saying is, these are what people find for HIGHLIGHTS. There's nothing there beyond what you'd expect of ANY professional fullback in 2020.

I'm happy to keep Chilwell for what it's worth, he'll improve. But so will alot of others out there for a quarter of the price.